Apex Park Enchanted Forest Trail and Pick N' Sledge Trail

Apex Park Enchanted Forest Trail and Pick N' Sledge Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a beautiful and popular trail in the Golden, CO area. Be sure to read the sign and map at the trail head because the trail is on an alternating use schedule to accommodate the large number of hikers and bikers. The trail is part of an excellent network of trails in the Apex Park.

Nice trail! Not magnificently scenic but it’s pretty in its own way. We went on Labor Day morning and there were very few people there, so it was great. I can see how it would be a pain if there were a lot of bikers on it though. Overall a pretty trail! Our dog had a blast!

This trail is dope! Great for mountain biking and hiking! This open spaces provides: Filtered Water, maps, lots of parking, and clear instructions. Please note, biking one ways on ODDs is enforced.

Really enjoyed this trail with our dog. Beautiful scenery in and out of the trees/sun. The parking and facilities at the trailhead are top notch.

it says moderate, but we thought it was closer to hard. beautiful hike, though, some stunning views of the city when you first start out. from the top you can see Golden to the left, and way in the back you can see downtown Denver, so you really can see it all.
the sun would beat down during the climb up, and then In the forest it cooled down.

I've only hiked this trail once and it is a really cool trail, especially 12 minutes away from my house in the city, but the main drawback for me is all the bikes. It's a very popular MTB trail and I had to pause pretty much every other minute to let a bike go by. A few bikes hurtled toward me and expected me to lunge out of the way. Overall it was hard to settle into the hike itself.

Beautiful hike with my dog, but had to go early in the AM to beat the summer heat (by noon it was 95 degrees). A few spots got narrow and with mtn bikers out and about there were a couple times we were forced off the path to make room for them. Nice mixture of rocky scrambles and smooth trail.

Awesome trail close to Denver!!! Took us about 3 hours - a mix of shade and sun- huge parking lot. Tons of wild raspberries along the way but we almost stepped on a rattlesnake

I love these trails! There's scenery, moderate shade, and, depending on which trails you take, can be a decent hike. Last week, we did the Apex Trail up to Grubstake, around, and then back down Apex. It was 7.5 miles and took us about 3 hours.

Beautiful trail! Well maintained. Not a very technical trail, but rocky and challenging enough to keep it from getting boring. It's a little busy, but it's not congested. I'd pass people, but it wasn't a constant, annoying thing. Also, lots of parking. Don't worry about parking.

Great little hike. I Had to keep it short, so I took the Argo’s trail to the Pick n sledge and back down to Apex Trail. Really wish I could’ve done the full trail but what I did was beautiful.

Just did this hike two weeks ago (6/16/18) and really enjoyed it. Quite sunny at first but once you get into the forest it was a pleasant temperature. The wildflowers are pretty right now. My tracking app said it was about 7.5 miles total once we finished and it took a little less than 3 hours for us. Lots of mountain bikers. Ample parking in the lot, and they have bathroom facilities and drinking fountains (as well as one for your dog and one to fill up water bottles) at the trailhead!

Loved this trail, one of my favorites! Great views, great legwork, excellent work out! Moderate traffic and plenty of shade on hot days.

Just moved here from Minnesota. I found this course very challenging. The views were great and the trail was maintained. Pay attention to the one ways.

Great hiking spot not too far away from denver. Good views. Hiked almost every trail in one day. Not too difficult of a
hike, mostly moderate. lots of mountain bikers but still fun!

It is a real life enchanted forest... so beautiful! And was great being that it is so close to the city. I would definitely go again. The parking lot it took me to was the amusement park lot but the lot for apex trail is right next to the amusement park.

This trail is our go to for escaping the city during the week. It’s very easy but always leaves you feeling worked after. A must hike if you’re looking for a trail close to the city. Cheers!

Very little traffic on a Monday lunchtime. Really nice, steady hike. A couple of snakes by the trail but no hassles.

Love this trail! Great hike near Denver. The Enchanted Forest section puts you in dense forest. Saw a herd of Elk resting in a meadow above the trail last week. This is one trail I do every year as soon it’s warm enough.

Beautiful day- wildflowers, hummingbirds and water rushing in the streams. Perfect temperature!

Went Mid day mid week and lots of Mountain bikers.
The enchanted forest is gorgeous but if you go Mid day it’s pretty warm on the APEX trail getting there.

The directions took me to a nearby school.

The Get Directions link took me to the school nearby, not the trailhead.

Took my dogs up here for the first time today and it was wonderful!! Very beautiful place, very busy and full of people, but will absolutely be going back soon.

So...that’s a a stream not a river FYI...but this hike is great for the first of the spring...will be my go to if I wake up too late for longer drives.

Great trail run today- a bit muddy through the forest

Really good work out. Went 4/10/18 on an even day so bikers were kinda taking over lol but everyone is very respectful about sharing the trail. Still a bit muddy on the Enchanted Forrest side but not majorly. Giving it 4 stars because it doesn’t necessarily have a rewarding view or summit...but it’s a nice trail overall. Well marked.

Great longer hike. We went on a cooler day which was a blessing seeing as there wasn’t much shade further east on the trail. The wind kept us nice and cool, and the elevation gain was slow but challenging.

Go on this hike in cooler days for sure if you have a tendency to get to hot.

We went on a odd day, which allows but biker traffic both ways down the trail. It got a little congested at times, and sometimes was a little annoying stopping every 5-20 min to allow bikers to pass.

However, the scenery was beautiful and relaxing.

Great little hike with good views of Golden and Denver.

Nice hike through a beautiful forest to hang our hammocks. Lots of water sources.

Fun trial close to Denver. Crowded but if you go early it make for a great hike

great time to hike.