Antelope, Bitterbrush, Nelson Loop

Antelope, Bitterbrush, Nelson Loop is a 6.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lyons, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

The ascent up Antelope was challenging but after a bit of climbing there's some fun flowing riding up top. All of the bikers and hikers I encountered were very respectful.

I also hiked the trail a few weeks prior to biking it and all of the bikers were respectful. I quickly recognized that the trail was primarily designed as a mountain biking trail, so I kept to the side whenever any bikes were coming... Common sense

I just added this particular route to Alltrails. According to Gaia and my wifes phone app it is 6.9 miles but Alltrails automatically plugs in 6.6 miles. Bottom line is that this is an easy flat trail and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. As a hiker I can say this is the prettiest trail that I'll never hike again. Bikers take over this trail and as a hiker it's a nightmare. We had to step off the trail every 30 seconds for a biker. Although it's a multi use trail the bikers operate as though they own it. They literally run you off the trail and expect you to jump off the trail as they barrel through. I was just trying to make it out of there without being critically injured. Eventually I just starting hiking off the trail. If your a mountain biker then I'd imagine you'd love this place. For me and other hikers.... it's a shame we can't enjoy this beautiful place.

Sunday, July 16, 2017