Animas Mountain Trail

Animas Mountain Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Durango, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Great 6 mile loop that you can extend by taking the many side trails that all link back up. Easily accessible from town. You will see lots of climbers and folks bouldering. Still a good bit of snow through March and in the morning, quite icy, so bring YakTrax or similar. Great 6 mile loop that you can extend by taking the many side trails that all link back up. Easily accessible from town. You will see lots of climbers and folks bouldering. Still a good bit of snow through March and in the morning, quite icy, so bring YakTrax or similar.

wonderful trail to hike!

The view at the top is worth it!

Pretty good trail also long. But it’s my first time hiking in a while so I just scaled the mountain directly up lol but good trail.

Cool trail. The upper part is closed until the spring to protect the winter range of deer and elk. Still a nice walk with views of Durango.

This is a great hiking trail. Beautiful scenery, friendly people. Lookout for runners and mountain bikers. Share the trail

Decent views, nothing spectacular but it was a good day trip close to town

Fun hike. I left my Canon DSLR somewhere on it though. Anybody see it?

Not a challenging hike but still enjoyable none the less.

It was hard but was worth it.

Great hike with our dog. There are plenty of markers along the way. We tended to keep to the outer edge of the mountain when given an option, the views were spectacular. We hiked on a Saturday in late October and only saw about seven people throughout so not very busy for so close to town.

Steady climb for the first few miles, but the views are totally worth it.

Great morning hike. Just over 2 hours at a moderate walking pace with quick scenic viewpoint stops along the way. Now off for a craft beer!

Came out to see fall foliage and do some hiking. Great local hike. Weather was perfect. No one else on Trail most of the way. Views did not disappoint.

Great in town trail - Go early when it's cool. Can be done in 1.5 - 2 hours if pushing your pace. Faster when running. Plan longer to enjoy yourself & views.

Go early and avoid the crowds and heat.
Great views as advertised.

My husband, dog, and I hiked this trail on Sunday 9/3. We started around 10:30 AM. There is almost no shade on the hike--it was hot. The directions from AllTrails are good. Parking was okay when we got there but was a little chaotic by the time we left. We went counterclockwise, per previous recommendations. The trail is well-signed; if unsure, stay to the right for the outer loop so you don't miss the views. There are beautiful views much of the way up. We clocked it at 3.6 miles to the high point. I didn't think the views at the top were as good as the ones on the way up, and due to the sun, we didn't stay at the top for long. No views on the way down. Total mileage was 6.1. It is true that the last couple maps you come to on the way down are different; we followed the power lines down so we didn't get lost going back to the parking area. The trail was busy but not packed, and almost everyone was going counterclockwise, so we didn't have to pass too many people. Lots of dogs, most of which were not leashed (though we did have our dog leashed since there were quite a few other people on the trail and the sign says dogs must be leashed). Recommended, but start early if it's a hot day.

We started around 10:00am and it got hot fast. There is little shade and little wind to cool you off. We went counterclockwise but ended up on a trail that wasn't the main one. It was nice but long. On the way down, the posted trail maps changed and were very confusing. We added an extra mile just trying to find the right parking lot.
The views at the top are great. We would probably do this trail again now that we know where to go, but would go when its cooler weather too.

We went counterclockwise. I think we started a little too late in the morning because it was blazing hot. The trail up this way has some shade but not a lot. The views of Durango are great as well as towards the James Ranch area. Little shade on the way down and nothing to see

Trail got really hot really fast. We went around 9:30 a.m. and would probably go much earlier next time. We had a small dog with us who didn't do well in the heat so we had to turn around. The trail is rocky but a good incline with nice views. We would do it again.

The trail is pretty easy and fun. I went counterclockwise which I liked because if I had gone the other way up I would have had to go uphill on a rocky surface which is harder on my knees.