Animas Mountain Trail

Animas Mountain Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Durango, Colorado that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Great 6 mile loop that you can extend by taking the many side trails that all link back up. Easily accessible from town. You will see lots of climbers and folks bouldering. Still a good bit of snow through March and in the morning, quite icy, so bring YakTrax or similar. Great 6 mile loop that you can extend by taking the many side trails that all link back up. Easily accessible from town. You will see lots of climbers and folks bouldering. Still a good bit of snow through March and in the morning, quite icy, so bring YakTrax or similar.

Go early and avoid the crowds and heat.
Great views as advertised.

My husband, dog, and I hiked this trail on Sunday 9/3. We started around 10:30 AM. There is almost no shade on the hike--it was hot. The directions from AllTrails are good. Parking was okay when we got there but was a little chaotic by the time we left. We went counterclockwise, per previous recommendations. The trail is well-signed; if unsure, stay to the right for the outer loop so you don't miss the views. There are beautiful views much of the way up. We clocked it at 3.6 miles to the high point. I didn't think the views at the top were as good as the ones on the way up, and due to the sun, we didn't stay at the top for long. No views on the way down. Total mileage was 6.1. It is true that the last couple maps you come to on the way down are different; we followed the power lines down so we didn't get lost going back to the parking area. The trail was busy but not packed, and almost everyone was going counterclockwise, so we didn't have to pass too many people. Lots of dogs, most of which were not leashed (though we did have our dog leashed since there were quite a few other people on the trail and the sign says dogs must be leashed). Recommended, but start early if it's a hot day.

We started around 10:00am and it got hot fast. There is little shade and little wind to cool you off. We went counterclockwise but ended up on a trail that wasn't the main one. It was nice but long. On the way down, the posted trail maps changed and were very confusing. We added an extra mile just trying to find the right parking lot.
The views at the top are great. We would probably do this trail again now that we know where to go, but would go when its cooler weather too.

We went counterclockwise. I think we started a little too late in the morning because it was blazing hot. The trail up this way has some shade but not a lot. The views of Durango are great as well as towards the James Ranch area. Little shade on the way down and nothing to see

Trail got really hot really fast. We went around 9:30 a.m. and would probably go much earlier next time. We had a small dog with us who didn't do well in the heat so we had to turn around. The trail is rocky but a good incline with nice views. We would do it again.

The trail is pretty easy and fun. I went counterclockwise which I liked because if I had gone the other way up I would have had to go uphill on a rocky surface which is harder on my knees.

Good trail, very run-able, not too difficult, no steep climbs, only a few rocky sections. Well marked. Too many off-leash dogs, but owners were respectful of other users and quickly corralled their pups upon seeing a runner coming up. Dogs disappeared after the first mile.

Animas is a really good trail for folks who are new to hiking or just have a couple hours to hike. I recently moved from Minnesota & found this hike to be pretty lowkey. It's a bit rocky so I'd make sure to pay attention to where you're placing your feet. A super great hike for a casual couple hours with friends.