Animas Mountain Trail

Animas Mountain Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Durango, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Great loop that you can extend by taking the many side trails that all link back up. Easily accessible from town. You will see lots of climbers and folks bouldering. Still a good bit of snow through March and in the morning, quite icy, so bring YakTrax or similar.

the trail is closed to the top until May 2019. -

A bit of traffic and city noise to contend with, but easily accessible with nice views and opportunities to see wildlife.

Popular in town trail shared with mountain bikers resulted with poor quality hiking. Otherwise great trail with views and nice gradual gains.

Moderate ascent with some great views of Durango and the valley to the north on the east side of the loop. Full loop is 6 miles, so it makes for a good 3 hour hike. Also a pet friendly hike. If I do it again, I’ll just do the east side up and back as it offers great views and terrain. The west side is a straight descent through the forest with little to no views.

A good trail close to town with fantastic views up the Animas valley. We took the eastern loop which branches often to the right towards viewing places. The view at the top is fabulous. We opted to come back down the same trail as locals on the trail mentioned the western section is steep, rocky, and limited views. Overall a great 6-7 mile hike.

Great hike with awesome views.

I took the recommendations below and went counterclockwise which I think was a very good idea. I started early on a Tuesday, and saw just a few people with dogs in the first mile and last mile, but no one on the rest of the trail. The views are spectacular, but beware that the trail is very rocky. Easy to lose your footing if you are not careful. The trail is adequately marked but found it helpful to have the map on my phone as well.

Great trail! Beautiful views of Durango and hard enough to get your heart going. Only one caveat, there are quit a few cyclists and one has to be careful.

I enjoyed!

I do enjoy a nice loop with a view. If I were to go again I would probably stay right once I got to the main trail as it is pretty steep for about a mile and a half. You get to the top at about 2 miles and it is a little over 3 down. If you stay right it is easier going uphill then the downhill will be steeper but quicker. It can be quite rocky on the trail but it isnt the whole trail and it didnt ruin the hike for me. I gave it four stars because there are definitely better hikes around with better views but it was a great morning hike, and not having to drive an hour to get to it is definitely a plus.

Love this hike! We have some parts of it many times but today we did the whole loop and it was well worth it!

Pretty views from the top and not too challenging. Not very scenic though except for the top, which is why I gave it the 3 rating.

Nice view from the north side

Too rocky. Uncovered. The rocks slip beneath your feet as you rapidly descend. We will not be coming back to this one.

Excellent, easy hike. Two hours or nine, there are countless trails to choose. Great views if you peak. Plenty to explore and love if you don't. Great for dogs

Good hike; still decent views despite some smoke. Start early - coming down the west trail doesn’t provide much shade.

nice hike with great overlook views of Durango and the Animas River as it snakes it's way South. I rate it on the easy side of moderate. mostly a gradual uphill hike. the trail is well marked and is very Rocky. start out at the TH and keep right at all the intersecting trails to see the views.

11AM: I accepted the late start penalty of heat (for Durango). I’m glad for the instructions of the San Juan Chapter of the Colorado Mountain Club per their book “Best Durango Hikes.” This Trail was #1 in their punch list.

The best tips were about parking, proceeding counterclockwise around the mountain, “when in doubt stay right” and “make a hard left at power poles to get back to parking lot when coming down. The latter saved me from 10 minutes+ of ambling on when I was hot and hungry and ready for the road.

Thumbs up: good directions, easy trail, nice steady gain, wind whooshing through taller trees atop the plateau, being buzzed by a turkey vulture, seeing a horned lizard, and young mountain jays

Also Thumbs Up: Connecting with All Trails users who just had just read a review I posted. **small world and Gig ‘Em Ags**

Thumbs Down: Doggie poop bags left like Easter Eggs on Trail. I hope in the end they got courtes-ly carried away. I will assume the best.

Would go again, starting earlier and making enough space-time for whole loop.

Kudos to the trail runners I saw hoofing it down! You are my every day inspiration.

WENT AGAIN. 8.9.18
Still 3 stars. Started 930am and got back exactly 4 hours later with a long stop, 2 quick snack breaks, lots of pauses for views and photo snapping and an accidental detour too far over on the West side. I think I may have gotten to the top of the Sailing Hawks trails.

Logged 8.2 miles with the detour.

Note to self: go up West side going/coming because trail is more dirt than rock and makes for happy feet!

Trailhead is right in town so very easy to get to. The city view side is a little loud but a good workout. Saw only about 6 people on this hike during the holiday weekend.

Moderate, very dry trail - rocky on & off. Beautiful views. Be sure to bring water for yourself & your dog!!

It was a mellow hike with a couple of spots at the summit with great views of the town.

Nice day hike easily accessible from town. I think some people get confused by the maps that are posted. There might be a couple of reasons for that. First, there are a lot of short little side 'trails' that take you to a lookout point and others that might mark a convergence of the two rightmost trails that run parallel to one another going counterclockwise up the mountain. Not all of these are necessarily on the map. It's pretty instinctive though - typically just stick to the trail that looks more used and/or does not have a line of rocks blocking the way. Second, someone mentioned that the maps do not all match along the trail. I think that is because Animas Mountain trail itself hooks up with the 'Dalla Mountain Park' trail system on the Junction Creek side (this is Sailing Hawks and series of other small trails). The picture I posted of the Dalla Mtn Park map indicates "you are here". If it helps to give you a sense of where these trail systems converge, that sign with the Dalla map is physically located where on the Animas Mountain map there is a patch of glare right by the switchbacks. I love bringing my pup up here. Just remember to pack lots of extra water (no such thing as too much) and poop bags. It can get hot even in Spring and Fall; He just takes more shade and water breaks and does fine.

First hike in a long time went 18 mins up and back!
Hopefully a lot more posts to come

as good a hike as I've ever done. got lost for awhile and didn't care

Great trail. Great views. Worth mentioning that the top of the loop and majority of the trail is closed from December to April. But there are connections to other trails so you can still get a good hike in still.

Tuesday, January 09, 2018

wonderful trail to hike!

Sunday, December 31, 2017

The view at the top is worth it!

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Pretty good trail also long. But it’s my first time hiking in a while so I just scaled the mountain directly up lol but good trail.

Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Cool trail. The upper part is closed until the spring to protect the winter range of deer and elk. Still a nice walk with views of Durango.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

This is a great hiking trail. Beautiful scenery, friendly people. Lookout for runners and mountain bikers. Share the trail