Baseline to Ampitheatre and Saddle Rock Trails

Baseline to Ampitheatre and Saddle Rock Trails is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Ampitheater trail is short but is rated as moderate due to the sharp incline and is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail. Reaching the top is not enough, one should explore the east face of the mountain for a great scene of beautiful Boulder, CO.

Good workout hike! Not much scenery, but cool rocks at the top.

I have used this as a connecting trail, and it's just a lot of steps.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Wowza! Beautiful hike but a tough one on my knees & feet. The incline was steep & steady most of the way up 1.5 miles. Much of the trail is shaded by the Forrest & the scenery is great. Once at the top (according to All Trails map) the turn around point was nothing special. The hike down was more difficult for me than the quad burning ascent. The steps down were big, the hoping down step after step seemed endless and my knees & feet paid the price. Glad I did it but this one is checked off my list.

Thursday, June 01, 2017

really pretty trail, coming down just after sunset we saw lots of deer and bats.

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Great trail, but be on the lookout for rattlesnakes. On our way down today we had to wait for a very large rattler to cross the trail.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Awesome hike with beautiful views and definitely a work out

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

It's a beautiful trail, but a bit crowded over the weekend, as I've come to expect of most Boulder trails.

Thursday, July 02, 2015

Good short trail to do if you want to see Boulder from above.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

The whole Chautauqua Park area is full of trails and loops to hike. The Amphitheater spur is a bit of a quad burner due to the steepness and all the steps to climb. This little hike is fairly close to my house and I'll use it as my workout hike. Personally for me Chautauqua Park is too crowded to really enjoy the hikes and that's why I only give it 3 stars. But there are trails there for just about any level and distance as a part of the whole interconnected Front Range in the Boulder and Golden area.

Thursday, July 03, 2014

We walked this one a few times. The scenery is great and not that long but it is steep so its not the best for younger kids.

Sunday, May 04, 2014

Enjoyable hike with excellent views; great for kids 8-year+

Monday, October 01, 2012

Fun hike, took the dogs on the trail. Very flat good scenery and wide open spaces

Monday, October 01, 2012

Enjoyable hike, took the dogs and they liked jumping from rock to rock

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

I usually hike this as the return leg of a six mile loop summiting Green Mountain. It can also be accessed from the Chautauqua trailhead off of Baseline. It is a .6 mile hike from Chautauqua to the Gregory Canyon trailhead, but there is more parking and it is free, leaving more cash for gear (smiley face). Great views and challenging hiking. Rocky and root filled in places and a steep decent but very enjoyable, as is all hiking in Boulder. Leave the I-Pod home and listen to the sound of nature. More shaded the closer to the Saddle Rock/Greenman junction you get, so be prepared for snow if you go in early spring or late fall. With melt, there will be water running on some parts of the trail.