Amphitheater and Saddle Rock Loop

Amphitheater and Saddle Rock Loop is a 0.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not really an “easy” hike — more on the difficult side actually. Lots of rocks to climb like stairs with big big steps. I can see kids having a hard time. Nice shade throughout, beautiful scenery.

Quick loop in the Chataqua forested hillsides with lots of rock stairs up along some cool bouldering spots and then back down along the creek. Nice quick stair master type exercise with the pups. Not as busy as the main trails on the front side.

I avoid Chattaqua area but somehow my GPS took me here when I was planning up to take another trail up in the Flagstaff. The trail went straight up until it intersected Saddle Rock trail. The trails are maintained well except for a couple of spots where the footing was not great. Also, there were only one log and the broken wood across the stream. I let my dog find a better place to cross the stream. And I was grateful for my waterproof hiking shoes.

This was a very rewarding hike—lovely views and comfortable tree cover almost the entire way. But I would rate moderate rather than easy, and while my 6-yo (an experienced hiker for his age) tackled the elevation gain fine, our three year old needed lots of assistance. I’d call this “older kids” friendly and not “all kids” friendly.

A very beautiful trail through a pine forest. Several parts have a steep incline with several sets of steps to hike up, and because of this I would rate it as Moderate rather than Easy.

Good quick trail if you're staying in or passing through Boulder!

Love this trail! Went on a Sunday early afternoon and only saw a handful of people, compared to other trails on the front side.
Shades most of the way up and very beautiful hike all the way to the peaks!

Difficult trail for one rated easy. Steep climbs for long periods. But beautiful scenery and pretty shaded so not too hot.

I'd consider this trail a "difficult" easy due to the sharp incline at parts. Quieter one of the Chautauqua trails. I took Baseline trail over to the mini parking lot where Saddle begins. When you reach the peak elevation you get a lush pine woods growing in what almost looks like vertical wall due to being in a valley of sorts. Great place to take a break and snack once reached the peak.

No doubt about it, Chautauqua Park is a busy place on the weekends. Don't be surprised to find a full parking lot. Parking on weekends is not free, either download the Park Mobile app before you go or be prepared to take the Park to Park shuttle (plenty of signage along Baseline Road telling you were those pickups are located so kudos Boulder).

So now that your in a busy mountain park, where do you go? I recommend the Amphitheater/Saddlerock loop. It's a steeper climb than most of the park which keeps a lot of the traffic at a minimum. Despite being there an a gorgeous Sunday morning I probably saw fewer than ten hikers on this trail, even with the Chautauqua lots being full!

Most of the hike is shaded in a pine forest and the trail (like all the trails in Chautauqua) is well maintained. The incline can be intense, but does not require any unique technical proficiency and I don't recall any part that I would consider at all dangerous. This is a great trail for new hikers looking to challenge themselves or prepare for more challenging hikes.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Nice trail. 4yr old and 3yr old needed to ride in packs about 1/2 the time.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016