American Lakes Trail

American Lakes Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Walden, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as difficult offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Alpine tundra, wildflowers, cirques, Continental Divide views! Trail ends at American Lakes with options over Thunder Pass into RMNP or up to Snow Lake. Spectacular views w/fly & lure fishing permitted. A great backpack trip. Fires prohibited above timberline.

Beautiful trail. You get glimpses of mountain views the whole way as you hike through a nice forest, but once you get to the top they are spectacular. Open, alpine environment with stunning mountains all around. It is definitely worth it to go the extra mile past the lakes to look over into Rocky Mountain national park. I encountered very few people along the way. Make sure to bring exact change as there is no ranger station, the fee was $7 in September 2017.

This is definitely my go to state park for Backpacking. Short but demanding hike. Was here twice this month about two weeks apart. 9/9 and I went back this Monday 9/27 again and went back to Snow Lake again. This time the trail is covered in snow. Some of the trail esp when the switchback started were covered in snow and difficult to see but if u downloaded the offline maps it’s a clear path to follow!
I’ve seen s few moose’s more than my pat visit and was grazing near our tent.

One of my favorites. The amount of time spent above tree line makes this a magical alpine experience.

very much worth the trip. very cool at night and encountered some light showers, but quickly left as it came. be up the mountain before 1 PM to select a night overnight spot.

Great moderate hike to Snow and Michigan lake.. top was a bit crowded at points and some people came a day later and set up camp 20 feet from us...

Incredible hike with stunning views and barely any people on a Saturday in June. This was one of my all-time favorites.

One of the best scenes I have ever had in Colorado. Nice little challenge, took no time at all. Totally worth it, beautiful views and nice maintained trail.

One of my favorites near foco. It's good to go all of the way to Thunder Pass besides a few patches of snow. Highly recommend!

Trail is not that hard. Made it all the way up in about 2-3 hours. Great views and maintained well. Trail it pretty wide and looks like a four wheeler trail. The lakes were partially frozen in late June. There were quite a few people on this trail. Just a little bit of mud and snow this time of year. Top is cold in the wind and wind blocking shell was nice to have. Walk back down was very warm.

wide open trail. well marked and I would snowshoe it again. limited shelter for wind

Monday, November 07, 2016

Beautiful hike! My dog and I made it up to Snow Lake and the view down to the American Lakes is absolutely breathtaking. About 8.5 roundtrip if you include Snow Lake. It is pretty tough to get up to that lake.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

First time hiker and was really proud of myself for finishing this. Went a little late in the season (late October) and there was a little snow on the ground that made things more difficult than they should have been. This is definitely back woods hiking and worth every step. We did lose the trail and ended up walking across the south side of the stream. Took us 4 hours at a very leisurely pace :) We will do this again and cross over Thunder Pass into Rocky Mountain National Park next time.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Really incredible hike. I wouldn't rate it a hard personally. Did it in 2hr40 and I'm not super fast/in shape. Leisurely about 3hr30 - 4hr round trip. Definitely worth the drive from foco

Friday, September 23, 2016

Great hike. You can continue past the mediocre lakes to thunder pass or even summit the nearby peaks.

Friday, July 29, 2016

This is an easy hike but lengthy, approximately 10.4 miles. It inspires me to start back packing due to the many places that I would love to wake up to in the morning. Simply gorgeous!!

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Amazing hike. Park at trailhead closer to the campground since Michigan Ditch is closed at the top of Cameron Pass. Great single track about half way up. Awesome views of the Crags and lots of wild flowers. Can't wait to mountain bike it the next time.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Wish the state park had this posted on their website, but the road to the trail head is closed until October 2016 for reclamation. So, didn't get a chance to hike it--disregard my rating.