Almagre Peak Short Route is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cripple Creek, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching.

Length6.5 miElevation gain2,060 ftRoute typeOut & back
Photos (93)
Activities (48)
Completed (82)
Kent Tsukida
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 6, 2021
View Kent's activity
JerJer Binks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 1, 2020
Hiking

This is a pretty great hike. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I was going to. We started at the bottom of the real 4wd rd near where the road is gated off at the reservoirs. I wouldn't recommend trying that last section of road unless you're in a legit Jeep. We drove in through Old Stage and out through Victor. I enjoyed the variety, but the Victor way is faster and can be done in any car. The map only includes one peak, but they both have their merits. The views are totally worthwhile. Someone said the views weren't great, but I totally disagree. From the local ranges, to the distant ranges, to the reservoirs and views of all the other local hikes so many of us have done. I'll be back again and probably even again. We didn't bring traction and wished we would have (snow). When I get lost during a hike, I feel like it was more of an adventure. If that's not you, the provided map is accurate. Don't be afraid to find your own way to the top of the larger radio towers peak.

View JerJer's activity
Bill Cushenbery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 20, 2020
HikingGreat!

excellent short hike but like others have said the all trails map is needed otherwise you'll end up wasting time. I ended up staying too long on the ring the peak trail, the transition to the Almagre trail is not obvious. did the trail under 4 hours. Would've done the south peak but clouds were moving in. Recommend!

Abel Puente
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingGreat!

Hike date 8/14: we got within 100 yards of the peak but turned around as it was late on us (7:10 pm) and didn’t want to catch darkness on way back. Great trail but tough. Careful not to miss the trail leaving the 4X4 road; not very well marked (this app helps a lot). It took us 2 hrs to where we got to (2nd false summit). Very tough beginning then flattens out, then gets very tough until you get to tree line and then it’s not so bad. Much easier coming down but be careful not to twist an ankle/knee or slip. We ran it down quite a bit. Killed it!

Philip Peters
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
Hiking

Huff and Puff fo sho! Great hike. Amazing views at the top. Worst part is the last half mile coming down on the 4 wheel road.

View Philip's activity
Michael Bruce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Very difficult without all trails app. Route indistinct at times.

View Michael's activity
Alison Bryant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 23, 2020
Hiking

Somehow my map on All Trails was wrong, did not hike 40 miles.. we just did 7. We did this is a sunrise hike and were not disappointed. Driving in from Cripple Creek side was was easier than taking Gold Camp all the way! Glad I had the map downloaded (as others have suggested) as it was rather hard to follow at times. Great views, especially of the Peak! We saw no other hikers, which surprised me. Overall I would hike again :)

Comment from AllTrails

- 8 months ago

Thank you for the review! You might have forgotten to turn off your recording. The endpoint has been edited.

Kristin Thee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOver grownRockyScramble

The drive up is BEAUTIFUL but its "eh" for the hiking effort on this one. Definitely a challenging hike for just good views; nothing spectacular. Be prepared for steep inclines both ways, TONS of bugs, and some scrambling, but not many people. Completed in just shy of 4 hours.

Abigail Rhea
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020

I loved this hike! I felt very accomplished afterwards, it was challenging for me. The first road up is so steep that the motorcyclist next to me could hardly get his bike up. That hill is not fun to walk down either. Once you get past that inital hill, the trail becomes a nice balance for a little while. Make sure to download the map! Even with the map from AllTrails, I did some back tracking. The top is really the top when you reach the second peak with the solar panel on it. Just fyi. :) Great view of Pike's Peak.

Klint Skelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2020
Hiking

Great hike overall. The only issue I had was finding the trail when it veers off of the 4x4 road. Ended up bushwhacking for a bit to find the trail again. Similar thing happened on the way back. I had my AllTrails app open and was using the GPS feature to make it back to the 4x4 road. Otherwise, the trail was in good condition and generally outlined by cairns. Once on top, panoramic views of the nearby mountains, including Pikes Peak, and nearby reservoirs make it a worthy hike.

Mitch Bird
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

At first, felt like I was cheating. Because of how short it is compared to all the other routes. But all in all I’m glad my friends and I went this way. The summit is massive and has different things to visit/views to see. The summit by itself a short little hike. The drive up to the trail head is absolutely beautiful as well. Probably one of my favorite hikes so far in that region.

View Mitch's activity
Joshua Colky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
HikingOff trail
View Joshua's activity
Rico Cajigal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 8, 2020
Hiking

Went Sunday 6/7/20, great conditions and only saw a couple others on the trail. Like others have said, this is a very intense trail you don’t wanna be underprepared for. First mile is on a multi use road, had to move for some trucks. We missed the fork left off the road to the trail, it’s thru a large campsite. Tough hike but views at the top are absolutely worth it. Bring a jacket. Our large dog had a great time and plenty of room most of the time.

Drake Oversen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 30, 2020

Perfect local hike.

View Drake's activity
Nick TheHiker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 23, 2020
Hiking

Saturday, 5/23, sunny and warm made for great hiking conditions. The turn off of the ohv road is not marked so make sure you're paying attention. The route is poorly marked after the road but hard to get too far off course. Great views (including back side of Pike's Peak), slight wind on top. Hiking poles would have helped on the ohv road descent.

Cliff Gilliam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 15, 2020
Hiking

This trail is not dor the faint of heart but well worth it if you make it to the top. Once you get off the 4-wheeler trail and on the path it is a beautiful hike with three bodies of water below you and a reservoir at the top. Once at the top you have a beautiful view of several peaks including Pikes and also a beautiful view of Colorado Springs. I highly recomend this one juat be prepared for a tough hike and make sure to pack something warm for the top. As of May 15 2020 snow was so minimal that it was not problem at all.

Mandy Frogner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2020
Hiking

A few small patches of snow, but otherwise the trail is completely clear. It is a somewhat challenging but very rewarding hike!

Drake Oversen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 1, 2020
SnowshoeingSnow

Unsurprisingly, on April 1st, there was a LOT of deep snow haha even with our snowshoes it was difficult to break trail and absolutely impossible to find/get back to the trail without gps. There is also a barbed wire fence that you have to cross at some point that definitely threw me off for a while, initially assuming there was no way the trail crossed it; it does. My friend and I spent 3 three hours just making it halfway up the trail, opened our beers at a safe social distance from one another and enjoyed the view :) I’ll definitely be coming back when the snow is gone. Also, FYI, the road to the bull park trailhead is in excellent condition

View Drake's activity
Steven Pugh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 20, 2020
Hiking

I went out January thinking there would be a lot of snow but it's mostly only knee-deep. Also once you get past the snow to Summit is clear

View Steven's activity
Olivia Wolfe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 25, 2019
Snowshoeing

We did not have enough energy to complete the trail but the trail was very nice. Pretty snow packed in areas. Would recommend snowshoes or spikes.

View Olivia's activity
Melissa Hills
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 18, 2019
Hiking

Road to get there is really rough. Hike uneventful, better hikes around.

View Melissa's activity
Merf Dominick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2019

Wow! Intense! Quiet. Beautiful

Josh Lehman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 18, 2019
HikingSnow

An excellent and secluded hike up to one of our areas underrated peaks. This route benefits from being more remote and also a shorter route to the peak (assuming you would rather hike than 4WD to the top over the traditional route). My son (13yr) and I did this route on May 18, 2019 and we needed our micro spikes. Still quite a bit of snow piled up just before you get above tree line. Our trip totaled 6.5 miles and 1,500 in elevation. See my recording and photos for current conditions.

View Josh's activity
Nick Kjeseth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 7, 2019
Hiking

Love love love this trail. Kind of sad to see someone finally put it in Alltrails. I’ve never seen another person using this trail while I’ve been hiking it.

Dalton Vetter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 11, 2019
HikingSnow
First to Review

Knee to waist deep snow, no snowshoes

View Dalton's activity
Olivia Wolfe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 18, 2021
View Olivia's activity