Alberta Falls Trail

Alberta Falls Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Family-friendly, easy hike from Glacier Gorge Junction trailhead. Beautiful falls and views of surrounding peaks. One of the most popular hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park, it can be quite crowded. The hike is short and easy and one of the most scenic hikes in the park. The trail starts at Glacier Gorge Junction trailhead, and heads south, paralleling the creek. At about 0.3 miles, the trail intersects with two others, one branching back toward the north to Sprague Lake, and slightly further with the trail coming down from Bear Lake. At the intersection with Bear Lake Trail, turn left. The trail passes several aspen groves, and into pine forest. At about 0.5 miles, it opens up onto a ledge of rock offering an overlook of Glacier Gorge. From there, the trail parallels Glacier Creek to the Falls. Alberta Falls roars through a granite chute. The rock slabs surrounding the Falls are a great place to explore and picnic. You can take the trail further to several beautiful lakes in the park: The Loch (aka Loch Vale), Mills Lake, Lake Haiyaha and Black Lake.

Finally found parking at Glacier Gorge Trailhead. Hiked out to Alberta Falls and then headed back to the trail junction and headed to Bear Lake. Walked the .5 mile loop around Bear Lake. Took the shuttle back to Glacier Gorge. Absolutely beautiful hike. Took a lot of pictures. Not a pro hiker. Uphill stretches are tiring but well worth it.

Very easy beginner trail but so beautiful everyone will want to go. I walked Bear lake trail first then took Alberta Falls Route. A lot of people on weekends.

I combined this trail and the Emerald lake trail, for totally about 4 hours. The scenes along the trail are very good. Maybe because the elevation here is too large (~3000m), I was very tired although the trail is not hard.

Hike to Alberta Falls was easy and nicely groomed but heavy foot traffic. Attempted trail to Mills Lake but ran out of time. that trail was equally nice. On way back hiked to Bear Lake (all up hill) but very nice.

I hiked this both from Bear Lake trailhead and Glacier Gorge trailhead. I preferred entering via Glacier Gorge trail because it was a little more scenic. The difference - hiking from Bear Lake trailhead, you'll descend for quite a while until you begin ascending toward the falls. If you start from Glacier Gorge trailhead, you'll be ascending. This starting point will offer you more cardio.
The walk to the falls is lovely and offers you views that span for miles. Gorgeous. ...but even more gorgeous if you pass the falls and hike to either MIlls Lake or Loch Lake. Trust me, it's worth it. :)
The reason why I'm giving it only 3 stars is for a couple reasons - it's populated with tourists who aren't equipped to hike to the falls. Point being, they're a hazard, so watch out. Secondly, although I thought the falls were lovely and the sound soothing, I thought they'd be grander. If you hike on towards one of the lakes further up the trail, you'll continue to parallel the falls, which is nice because that sound of rushing water accompanies you.

Lovely, easy trail. The falls are just beautiful. Can get busy, but there's plenty of room for everyone to move around and enjoy. Keep going up to Loch Lake Trail, it's more challenging and worth the hike.

A little crowded but easy to get through

Barely falls not impressed

I liked the hike through the aspen forests to get to the falls. Lots of great photo opportunities along the hike to the falls. I bet this would be beautiful in the autumn with all the aspen leaves changing. We were there in July 2018, recommend start your hike early to avoid summer crowds!

Did this hike with the family. Carried the kiddo most of the way up. The falls are nice, lots of rocks to climb over. As others have said it’s a busy spot but really enjoyable. Hike up farther for fewer people.

Large summer crowds. Great spot to bring people from out of town for a quick and scenic hike.

Ok but the crowds ruin it. I have seen much prettier falls.

great hike, a lot of elk on the trail and a lot of people as well. but the views are beautiful

Super easy and quick hike, can get a bit busy. If you’re experienced and looking for a longer trek take this trail further up to loch.

Beautiful scenery! This water fall is amazing. The trail is also very well kept up.

Highly trafficked but the waterfall is awesome. We hiked to Emerald lake first. Since the trailheads are basically the same, we kept going to see the waterfall. You can pick a nice rock for a nap once you get there. Great scenery, but if I came back to this park I’d pick a less trafficked trail. It was suitable for my brother, who was dying because he never hikes.

My Husband & I hiked Alberta Falls on 4th of July & it was Beautiful! Sat on a rock & dipped my feet into the cold water stream... Over all it was a pretty easy hike. Worth it! Kid friendly. Parking lots get filled quickly & you have to use the park and ride after 7:30ish. So my advise is to go as early as you can. $25 fee for the national park also.

Great trail for all the family.

Great trail. Great views. Very crowded.

A bit crowded when we were there on a Saturday but a great hike for kids or older folks. We passed these falls on the trail to Loch Lake.

easy hike and nice and simple

Great hike, especially for beginners. The falls are also very beautiful.

This trail is easy and is in the thick of the forest so the scenery is wonderful. We came from alluvial fan so this waterfall was not as exciting but still awesome! Great quick hike for families: there are portions that are uphill and downhill so it evens out.

Pretty easy hike to Alberta Falls. I would strongly recommend to continue uphill to one of the many lakes on the trail to get a more dynamic trek experience. If you are trekking with family Alberta Falls is surely one photogenic spot you can opt for.

Enjoyable for family with teenagers! Easier going down than coming back up! You could take the bus back if you wanted! Make sure to go all the way to top and sit on rocks! Great view both ways!

Very enjoyable hike for the whole family! Beautiful scenery and not overall demanding for our 4 and 2 year old.

Took our 4 year old son, and he did great! It’s easy enough and lots of rocks and things to see along the way. We had a snack on the huge boulders at the falls before we headed back. Overall really nice!

Very nice hike with the sound of the creek along the way. Great waterfall view, and lots of rocks lol. Pretty easy.

I’m very thankful to live near the park. We get there early, 5am, and have coffee next to the falls. Chill and relaxing spot in the early am.

It’s easy and full of views.