Alberta Falls and Bear Lake [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(112)
Rocky Mountain National Park

Alberta Falls and Bear Lake is a 2.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 419 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

icy

We did this as a warm up hike because it's relatively flat and short. I was surprised how highly it was rated.The waterfall was underwhelming and swarming with people who probably don't leave their cars much. I realized after we left I didn't even take a picture of it. The lake was beautiful but also mobbed with people. I am hoping for a bit better hiking experience tomorrow to some of the more remote lakes.

overall a very crowded area with low trail etiquette. the water fall is ok. lots of people clambering on it so pictures are tough. the lake is beautiful and worth it however. extremely accessible and easy stroll.

We did this hike in late June and there was still snow on the trail and Bear Lake was still mostly frozen. Apparently it has just snowed a few days prior. Besides the slipping and sliding everywhere this is an incredible hike. Alberta falls and Bear Lake are both very popular so get there early or during dusk. If you want to see it: https://youtube.com/watch?v=X9T1gR1i4-o

Beautiful hike with many begging chipmunks along the path.

This hike was great! My family and I did this hike the first day we got here to help adjust with altitude, we wanted something on the easier side. The bear lake trail is paved the whole way around with great views. The hike to the falls was mostly downhill on the way there, so of course mostly uphill on the way back. I would say a little challenging if you’re not used to the altitude change but definitely do-able. We took the free shuttle because we went in the afternoon. Apparently if you don’t get there before 7-730 all the parking spots are full! Just take the shuttle from Estes Park visitor center and they’ll direct you from there. Perfect hike for starters!

Tue May 14 2019

The snow was packed pretty well but definitely was slippery as it is starting to melt. Steady incline on the way back. Alberta Falls is stunning. The trail was fairly crowded around noon.

Incredible views. We were totally wiped at the end but so worth the 2 hour drive!

Tue Mar 05 2019

Many people had snow shoes, micro spikes worked fine though. Easy hike. The waterfall is covered in a huge snow drift.

Sun Feb 10 2019

Parked at Bear Lake Trailhead and traveled clockwise. The sign for Lake Haiyaha was clearly visible, but the Haiyaha Cutoff Trail was undiscernable. There was an obvious route heading northerly, but after about a mile it became clear that I needed to be closer to the base of West Glacier Knob. After making a few corrections I was able to find ski tracks, but those tracks only stay along the trail for a short time. There were no tracks heading towards Haiyaha, but I ran across cat tracks a couple times and some spots where the bark was clawed off recently. Once I got to the fork to Haiyaha the trail became moderately traveled by hikers coming from Dream Lake. Despite the difficulty of route finding and breaking trail coming to Haiyaha from the south, the solitude that would not be again found made that route into Chaos Canyon worth the trouble.

Fri Jul 13 2018

Wow. Relatively easy hike and the views are some of the best in the area. Walking up the rocks from the normal viewing area will give you a spectacular sight from the top of Alberta Falls!

Tue Jun 26 2018

If you like crowded trail, than this is the one for you! Otherwise, although I would include both attraction when hiking the area, they are clearly not the most exciting thing to see