Learn more

Abyss Trail to Helms Lake is a 11.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grant, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until September.

Length 11.7 mi Elevation gain 2,404 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (469)
Recordings (126)
Completed (387)
Edward Strickler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail, longer than the 11.7 miles listed as I recorded it at 12.8 miles to Helms lake but we also explored a bit at the lake. Under cover most of the time with beautiful water to cross multiple times and as always some beautiful vistas.

View Edward's Recording
Jim Montijo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

Nice views along the way. It’ll take a while to get to Helms lake.

View Jim's Recording
John Constantine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

Nice trail with different terrain and views throughout. More on the difficult side due to the length and elevation gain. Helms lake is nice but there's not really much shade when you get up there. Clocked out at 12 miles out and back.

View John's Recording
Roxana Witter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020

Great hike. May have lost my prescription sunglasses at Helms Lake. 7202527481 Thanks!

Jen M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 28, 2020
Hiking

Done 6/26/2020. Absolutely gorgeous trail! Lots of Aspen groves, a few water crossings, and plenty of views. I can’t wait to come back and do this as an overnight to try to get to Abyss lake and preferably in the fall!

Eric Ladd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020
HikingSnow

Great hike. Beautiful views 100% of the way. Last 2 miles to the lake are snow and slush as of 6/19. Footprints to follow so no issues navigating. Lots of signs of moose also heard coyotes near the lake. Definitely recommend this one. Hike the extra mile to Abyss Lake if you've got time. Have fun!

View Eric's Recording
Warren Saslow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
Hiking

This is a beautiful trail, especially so in the fall when the aspen are golden. Yesterday was the first time I went as far as Helms Lake, and there is a problem. After approximately four miles, the trail comes to a fork. There is a post but no signage. We went to the left on a clear trail but realized about a mile and a half later that we should have gone to the right. Six others made the same mistake we did. As a result, our roundtrip hike to the lake turned out to be just over 15 miles, not 11.7. So- if you do this hike and don't start up some serious switchbacks at approximately 4.5 miles, you have done something wrong. I will contact the forest service and see if they can add a sign at the fork.

Janelle Veres
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 11, 2020
HikingRocky

A rocky trail at the beginning and then again about mile 3. We did 4 miles out and then came back. It was a beautiful day and a fun hike! hope to get strong enough to make it to the lake. We saw a moose!

View Janelle's Recording
Jake Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 4, 2020
HikingSnow

Great little walk in the woods, whether you go short or long (we went short).

View Jake's Recording
Amanda Short
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 11, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRockySnow
View Amanda's Recording
Lauren Andraski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 7, 2019
Hiking

This may be the most beautiful fall hike I’ve ever done. I didn’t do the entire hike, but the first 3 miles were INCREDIBLE

Marina Foerster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2019
Hiking

Great trail! We absolutely loved the hike with our 2 dogs! It was sunny and not windy. Arrived to the TH at 10 am. Parking lot was full but was able to find a spot on the side of the road. Many hikers! Dog friendly. Highly trafficked. Some shady areas, some exposed. We did not have poles (typically don’t use them). Pretty rocky as you start out. Then evens out into a pleasant walk. Quite a few creek crossings ( logs over the creeks). Still some leaves on aspens in some spots. But you can certainly enjoy the color on the trees further away. An open valley, half way up the hike, was one of my favorite spots! There were plenty of opportunities to stop by the creek running along the trail. Many photo opportunities also. Truly enjoyed this hike!

Danielle Green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 6, 2019
Hiking

This trail is very family friendly and dog friendly. We got to the trailhead a little later in the day, around 1pm and there was parking in the lot. There is a gradual and steady climb the whole trail but not difficult at all. We didn’t make it to the lake because the tiny feet in our group got tired before we made it but all together a beautiful hike with lots of Aspens to view!

Eli Rutherford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2019
Hiking

Clearly marked trail leading to the lake. It took us 12.5 miles and roughly 7 hours with several stops and a leisurely pace. Bring plenty of water and a snack. The leaves were a few days after peak color, but there were still plenty of beautiful spots.

View Eli's Recording
Elsa Bollinger
Hiking

Great hike! Aspen leaves are almost all gone, but still a really pretty hike. Arrived around 7am, still found parking. Trail was sandy and not too strenuous. Great trail

View Elsa's Recording
Nicole Vick
Hiking

Beautiful hike! Started at 11am and ended at 4pm, with lots of stops for pictures. The first 3/4 of the trail is relatively flat, then the switchbacks start. When we got there the parking lot was full, but there was plenty of space to park on the side of the road close to the trail head. Most people were turning around before the switchbacks, so once we got to Helm lake it was super peaceful. Aspens are starting to lose their leaves, but there's still a lot of beautiful areas with amazing color.

Clair Von Handorf
Hiking

Beautiful aspens, lovely hike. We made a loop of it with the rosalie and the three mile trail. Couldn't have asked for more color on the leaves. And if anyone finds a simple handmade and cheap silver ring... I lost my wedding ring out there. Wah wah.

Matthew Krueger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 3, 2019
Hiking

Pretty wide, sandy, and easy trail to follow most the way. Colors are still somewhat there. The trees along the trail have mostly all dropped but up higher on the mountain there is some good color still. As with most trails on all trails the mileage is a little longer in reality. 6.2 miles to helms lake and 12.4 back to the parking lot. I started at 7 was only one other car in the lot when I started and had the lake to myself. When I returned to the lot probably 50 cars. The difference between 7 am and 10am go early if you can and you’ll have peace and quiet most the time.

View Matthew's Recording
Alli Berry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 1, 2019
Hiking

I hiked this on 9/29. I left Denver at 6 am and had no trouble parking. It wasn’t as busy as I imagined. The aspens were amazing. After the first couple of miles, it was non-stop fall colors. I went all the way to the lake and back. My watch said it was 14 miles, not 11.7. Be prepared for some distance but the climb wasn’t bad.

Deanna Carew
Hiking

Gorgeous Fall trail through aspens...we loved the secluded lake. It’s an easy, but long hike. My Alltrails app clocked almost 14 miles. Some rocky areas and some soft dirt and sand, a few water crossings and the elevation gain is spread out so no super steeps.

Jess Luedtke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 30, 2019
Hiking

I hiked this on 09/28/2018. I started at 8:05am and there were about 20-25 people starting around that time. Throughout the hike the trail remained steadily busy but that’s Colorado on a weekend for ya. The trail starts out really mellow and has multiple river crossing with logs to help you out. Aspens were mind-blowing through you don’t get to see any until 3 miles in. I hiked 4.5 miles in and turned around about 1 mile from helms lake due to a time constraint. The aspens seemed to be at peak so getting up here this week would be best as the leaves will start to fall soon. Overall awesome hike and a fun way to see all the colors! Would’ve gotten a 5/5 if it wasn’t so crowded but with it being so close to Denver it’s easy to see why it’s so utilized.

Amy Pharo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 29, 2019
HikingRocky

Great trail right now, the colors are stunning at mile 3. We went up to Helms Lake and it was foggy and cold but ended up with clear skies on our way down. A lot of camp sites for backpackers!

Lindsey Green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 29, 2019
Hiking

Well-maintained trail, the aspens are peaking this weekend and absolutely beautiful! The only downside is a lot of inconsiderate folks on the trail, blasting music and letting their untrained dogs run off leash.

Kim Irons
Hiking

Absolutely gorgeous this time of year! Takes about 3 miles to really get into the aspens. I went to Helms lake and my Garmin logged it as 15 miles round trip; AllTrails says only 12. Not sure if AllTrails doesn’t take into account elevation or if my Garmin signal was poor, but generally I’m finding AllTrails mileage seems short so I’d err on the side of expected a 7.5-8 mile hike to the lake. Round trip took 5 hours. Took a decently long break at the lake. A few parts of the trail were rocky but I’d say it’s mostly softer dirt with avoidable rocks. Fairly pleasant. No bugs. Somewhat steep in the last mile. Take plenty of water and snacks. Totally worthwhile.

View Kim's Recording
Danielle LeBlanc
Hiking

Absolutely beautiful! The Aspens looked amazing today. A little windy so they won’t last long. You only have to go about 3 miles in to start seeing them!

View Danielle's Recording