Abyss Trail

Abyss Trail is a 15.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bailey, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Abyss Lake Trail is a popular hiking trail that ends at Abyss Lake. The lake is nestled in a high glacial cirque between Mt. Bierstadt and Mt. Evans. The elevation gain, together with the round trip distance of almost 17 miles makes this a strenuous day hike. The trail follows an old logging road about 4 miles to an intersection with the Rosalie trail. from there the trail climbs more steeply into the upper part of the valley. From an unnamed lake at timberline, the trail continues through the willows, then westerly across the tundra to the lake.

Great trail with beautiful aspen groves!

Hard to get past stream after the small lake. Don't literally follow map as it can entangle you in deep bushes, use it for general guidance. Keep extra pair of socks if you get wet crossing the stream.

The trail was beautiful. Once you get past the tree line, the trail becomes hard to follow. It also becomes more difficult with every mile. After the abyss/Rosaline split, the rapid increase in elevation slowed us down quite a bit. I'd definitely recommend checking the forecast because if it rains after about the 10th mile, you have no natural cover and you could be in a bad situation fast.

This has become one of my favorites. You can get pass Helms lake with determination and pick the trail back up. And it was so worth it Abyss lake was incredible and I didn't see anyone.

I made it but not without some work and almost turned back twice. Probably only for experienced hikers right now. Trail tough to find in a couple spots, a stream is the trail in a couple places, felt like I was bushwhacking in some spots. I would recommend gps for sure right now. Minor snow passable without spikes. Awesome views and lake but it was a fight to get there.

trail disappeared at helms lake. not sure if later in the summer would result in less water in helms lake or what. a little snow near treeline. beautiful hike regardless.

We completed the round trip hike the from the Burning Bear/Abyss trailhead 6/10. I would say the total mileage from here is closer to 17+. The trail was clear and dry all the way to Abyss. We started the hike around 10:30 and by the time we were making our way back from the lake around 5-5:30 the water at the creek crossings had risen quite a bit making the log crossings a little spicy. Just be careful not to slip on wet log because the water is raging right now. There is one snow crossing towards the end of the hike, maybe 30' and was a non issue. The snow there was firm and no postholing. Given the recent warm weather this will change shortly. The trail is a steady incline for most of the ascent. Once you hit the Rosalie/Abyss trail junction the trail becomes steeper and rockier along a scenic switchback. We had no issues with dogs off leash. Enjoy!

I really loved this, but the trail from No Name lake was washed out and we turned back. Someone prepared for it might make it across, but we couldn't find a way through.

The first five miles go by without you even realizing you've gone up in elevation! The altitude might give you pause after that, but charge forward and you'll be met with beautiful views of Evans, Bierstadt, and everything else.

I was disappointed to see so many poorly trained, off-leash dogs, but I understand everyone thinks their pup is the exception to the rule. It's worth noting for people who might be worried about altercations on the trail with their dogs, though.

Really beautiful, but the path from no-name lake to Abyss was covered in a very treacherous snow patch that forced us to turn back! Give if a few days maybe? It was worth it without seeing Abyss, anyways. It's a moderate hike, only the length and altitude make any of it difficult.