Zuma Canyon Loop Trail

Zuma Canyon Loop Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Agoura Hills, CA: Take US 101 / Ventura Freeway to Kanan Road. Head south on Kanan Road to reach Zuma / Trancas Canyons.

beoke my toe here

Great hike. Lots of exercise, great views, secluded. Had a 1 year old in a pack and a small dog that needed carried the last 4 miles. Was pretty strenuous. As all the other reviews state, bring lots of water and wear sun block as you're exposed pretty much the entire hike. Yes the trail is over grown in sections (for California standards). I wore shorts and it wasn't too bad. Total miles based on our GPS was 11.1 so we must have taken a different trail at the end (we went clockwise as well). We'll probably do this again as it's one of the few options that allow dogs

Was not a fan of this hike. Got to the trailhead at 7 am on a Friday. Was the first car there and did not see a single soul until mile 9. I did the trail clockwise and enjoyed the first 3 or so miles. It was very scenic and getting there early helped me to avoid a bit of the July summer heat.

As others had mentioned, the trail is not clearly marked and, I too, nearly missed the turn off. You need to turn into an area that is closed with a gate (possibly to keep horses out?) if you want to do the loop trail. But from this section through the end of the hike, it is filled with fairly dense weed overgrowth and is quite ugly, and you have to spend quite a bit of time dodging and walking through spiderwebs, which was pretty gross. I nearly walked into a HUGE spiderweb, but noticed at the last second and ducked. Thankfully, I cleared the entire thing. Would have been disgusting to have thick cobwebs (and possibly a spider!) on my face. Long pants are highly recommended.

Because it was such an ugly and depressing hike with the weed overgrowth past the gate turn-off, it made for a bit of a soul-sucking hike. I just wanted to get out of there, but I still had 6 miles left! It was awful.

I do not plan on returning to this hike unless the trail is properly maintained. I will, however, hike it clockwise and do the beginning bit, then tack on a bit more and make it an out-and-back trail. The left side of the mountain trail seemed to be well maintained, so I'll just stick to that road, and I recommend doing the same. I gave 2 stars solely for the beginning of the hike. The rest was basically a 0, although I suppose it was a decent workout, at least.

This was a great trail, my only input for the AllTrails app is that I took the Zuma Canyon Ridge trail in(Clockwise from Busch trailhead) and that is rated hard and is under half of the distance of this trail in and back. The descent down is a lightly traveled trail and the ascent back up the connection to Ocean Ridge then back to Zuma Ridge is what makes this difficult. I suggest this be rated as hard due to the nature of the descent and ascent. Be prepared to bring lots of water. I sent 10.8 miles recorded so prepare for an extra mile or so. I finished 64ozs in July by mile 7.8; not your average "moderate" trail compared to other "hard" trails nearby.

Most certainly a leg buster, prepare for that with a clockwise entrance and pay attention to your intersections. Reception is flakey so if you don't want to waste battery download or screenshot the map. Hiking shoes not necessary but highly advised. A July hike felt very much like Big Bend National Park does in April. Little to no shade so start early. (Thanks to the Hiking Guides from the other outfit of hikers for the prunes they offered up, before I made my split down the connection to Ridge #2)

Great hike!! Excellent views of the ocean. I did it clockwise but maybe should have done it counter clockwise to see some of the setting sun views on the mountains (but then you would be exposed more-there definitely isn't much shade). I did this on a weekday in mid-June and barely saw anybody on the loop. It's easy to miss signs at some points some pay attention to your GPS and looking at this map (you will need to download the app on your phone).

Great hike, but there are some parts that are very overgrown due to the rain this spring

Decent exercise hike! Trail is overgrown with weeds in many spots. No shade, besides the canyon areas.