Zuma Canyon Loop Trail

Zuma Canyon Loop Trail is a 10.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Agoura Hills, CA: Take US 101 / Ventura Freeway to Kanan Road. Head south on Kanan Road to reach Zuma / Trancas Canyons.

As of February 2017, the right hand side of the loop of this trail is pretty treacherous due to all the recent rain. I would consider closing this half of the trail. I went clockwise starting at the Busch Drive trailhead and I was fine until I started the downward part of the climb (about 11o'clock in the loop) Lots of waterfalls that are flowing pretty steadily higher up, and one big stream at the lowest point in elevation that you have to jump/scramble across- NOT for the beginner/intermediate hiker. I very easily could have hurt myself (badly) but I was able to jump across about 4 ft wide stream of water. Pretty crazy. There is also a decent sized waterfall/stream by the Bonsall trailhead and unless you have proper footwear you will get pretty soaked going up that trail. There are also several spots in this trail if you stop and look up/around you you will see that there was recently a LARGE landslide that has gone directly through where yo are standing. Definitely scary. Lots of downed trees at narrow points in the trail where you are about 2000ft elevation- again, not for the faint of heart or beginner hiker. Other than these things this is a great hike, length wise and elevation wise. Just maybe wait to go until April or May 2017!!!

Brought my pup - great trail to bring a dog on. Wide trail for the most part - sweeping views of the ocean and mountains. Good incline for running and nice stop by the stream halfway for lunch. I would recommend downloading a map before heading onto this trail as there are several intersections where I could see getting off track. AllTrails map/god worked great!

This is a great area for hiking. I could see how some people end up off trail and adding miles to their hikes, though. There are several areas where trails split off. Be sure to study the map and look and the "intersections" you are going to run across. The views are beautiful, but for the most part, you are in full sun with the exception of the occasional shady patch. Also, be prepared for a leg buster. Bring plenty of water.

This trail was perfect for my dog and me. Challenging but not too difficult.

I loved the trail ... but the trail to do the loop is not well marked. The first time we went clockwise and ended up on the wrong trail and hikes 17+ mi. The second time we went counter clockwise and only had a small misstep and ended up hiking 14 mi ... great views though the hike back will be in full sun so bring water and start early.

• Great workout, the second big uphill climb kicked my butt a little in the full sun and heat - so bring lots of water
• if you start early like 7 or 8am you'll get a lot more morning shade to rest in but there's a lot more marine layer and cloud obscuring your view. Even starting at 9am, I think some of the "amazing" views were obscured
• to be honest, there are better views of the ocean from other hikes - you see a lot of houses and land first so it's not that great
• back end of the hike there's horses and poop from a horse tours ranch in the valley but it's not as bad as say, Will Rogers state park

Awesome hike. I am glad we went clockwise.

Saturday, February 20, 2016