Learn more

Zanja Peak Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Yucaipa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.3 mi Elevation gain 1,246 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Hiking Mountain biking Nature trips Bird watching Running Views Wild flowers Rocky
Description
Waypoints (0)

Note that the western route of the loop is overgrown and steep.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (349)
Photos (338)
Recordings (418)
Completed (539)
Mallory Quiroz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2020
Hiking

Prefer the route to the left. I usually walk up (pretty good incline) and once I get to the top I run down. Not sure if this is affected by the fires, hopefully not, because it’s one of my favorite go-to’s when I need to clear my head.

Bradley magid
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 1, 2020
Hiking

hreat trail if you want to try a spartan race. inclone was tough but great. no real markers. use all trail gps.

View Bradley 's Recording
Daya Snow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2020
Leah Stiff
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingGreat!

Go in the morning! The sunrise is to die for. Also, I'm a beginner, but I'm pretty in shape outside of hiking and this trail wasn't that difficult. It would be challenging for children or without proper hiking shoes. I had shoes with good grip and poles, and it wasn't bad at all.

Hung Chau
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2020
Hiking

There are a couple of forks. Use Google map satellite and you will see them. Hopefully, that will help about the confusion of which path to take. The left side is steep has two crazy humps. I had my hiking sticks. I would have taken much longer and probably would have suffer a few butt plants and scrapes without them. I'm glad I went up that way. Great conditioning. But please don't take the kid or carry a baby up that. Be smart and know when to abort. I did a follow up hike to train on the steep hill. Bad idea. I had four butt plants and that's with a hiking stick, when going down that. I would suggest going up that, but not down; unless you have awesome technique. Most of the right side would make for great trail running. It is a decent hike. You do get some view at the top.

Krista Goodman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
View Krista's Recording
D T N
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 13, 2020
HikingBugsNo shade

It’s a great work out trail but a little boring! There’s hardly any shades and the left side trail is very steep and slippery - I tried to take the left side back down but after a mile in I turned around hence adding 2 miles to the route ‘better safe than break a hip or ankle” . I also ended up jogging down hill to get to the car faster -

paul murphy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 8, 2020
BugsNo shadeWashed out

Beautiful day today to do this trail. Have never done it and we wanted something close by and a little challenging. Based on previous reviews which were mixed in regards to difficulty we thought it was perfect for us who'd been hiking 25 years all over the western U.S. Been 3 months since we got out due to Covid. Took the clockwise route and started out on the left side. first 1/2 mile was easy. then became moderate for alittle but then straight up was no joke. portions were washed out from rains with ruts but nothing we can't handle. But it was very steep and glad we had we our hiking poles and good hiking boots. Encountered only a family of 4 coming down and they did not look too happy with dad who was leading them down. They had on improper clothing(Jean's on dad) and sneakers on all of them and mom holding on to her 8 year old son. Teenage daughter was not having it and would tell wtf are doing on the trail. After passing them, we said the same thing. Mom was the only one with a small backpack and no one had water. maybe they had a little in the pack but after completing this trail, in hindsight they bit off more than could chew. Some sections were seriously steep for inexperienced and we were properly prepared as we always pack as if we are we hiking San Bernadino peak or just a couple miles. Never know what may happen. Made it to top of Zanja peak. Someone put a brand new American flag on a pole so that was nice to see. Took a 30 minute rest and sight seeing of the views which were nice. Decided to take the other way down as we said no way were we going back the same way. Lets just say this other route was a walk in the park and welcomed by us. Took 90 minutes to get up and 60 minutes down. we did not encounter anyone else on the route we took yet the parking lot was full. We determined most had taken the right side up and right side down. Don't blame those who are familiar with the trail. in the end, we plan to do this again but probably only on the right sight like most.

Doug Cade
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2020
HikingOver grown
View Doug's Recording
Tania Armendariz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 29, 2020
Hiking

I love this trail. I am on it almost every Saturday morning. Typically I go the “hard way” or to the left, clockwise, however it is described. I prefer the route this way as I am purposely taking it for the steep inclines and declines. This is great training ground prior to my big hikes I plan. I did run into a rattler about a week ago, but I was hiking in the evening around 5pm. Will never hike this trail with headphones in again. Luckily I was hiking with a companion that evening as naturally wasn’t wearing them to converse. Heard the rattle going and saw it was in striking position and distance as well, right on the edge of the tall grass where it meets the trail. Backed up and went up another route safely. People have been leaving painted rocks and messages along the trail. The grass is getting tall, and there is one spot where it’s a bit overgrown on the trail. Gets warm very quickly as there is no shade going up this route, bring water and/or I would suggest going early in the am. See ya on the trail, if so say hello!!

John Guthrie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 25, 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grownRocky

My adult son and I hiked it clockwise, tackling the steeper and harder side first, which I’m glad we did. It would have been more uncomfortable going down that way because of the risk of sliding due to steepness and lack of switchbacks. While that side provides nice vistas looking south and west, the other side feels more secluded and has more vegetation. The peak provides a nice panorama but unfortunately for us the day was hazy. In terms of challenge, I would classify this as a medium trail but I can see how someone who is out of shape or has health problems would find the west side of the trail quite challenging. While I prefer more remote hikes at higher elevations, this is a good and worthwhile trail for what it is and where it is (foothills in a populated area). Good ease of access. I recommend hiking it shortly after sunrise due to lack of shade.

Carina Miyashiro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 22, 2020
HikingBugs
View Carina's Recording
Stevie King
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 18, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown
View Stevie's Recording
Bruno Rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 8, 2020
HikingOff trailRocky
View Bruno's Recording
Tyler Hunt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 2, 2020
Hiking

Really pretty this time of year (tons of flowers and wildlife). Better doing it it counter clockwise like I did

View Tyler's Recording
Sam Sam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 1, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRocky

Very steep trail, its a loop so u can either take a left or right fork in the begining. Left is much much harder. Very steep rocky, but i recommend pushing urself, u will get breaks where u level off once ur over the main peak. Highly recommend as of 5/1/2020 trail is open but some parts are overgrown. Havent seen a rattler yet.

Angel Dalupang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 30, 2020
HikingNo shadeOver grown

A good moderate in some parts To hard steep inclines and rocky gravel downhills which is your main enemy. A good traction shoes is a must. Some recommended to use walking sticks, saw a couple used one, definitely helpful thru the steep declines. As recommended, begin in the eastern part (dump trail) of the loop, its a moderate steep ascent, lots of steady switchbacks before reaching the “scenic dump trail/overlooking bench” ascent continues and trail narrows. For me, that was the most scary part as the trail sits on the high cliff. Keep your footing accurately. As I continue, the blue and white deer-brush shrubs dotted the mt range- beautiful and this part offers a lot of shade and photo ops. Seems like fairy forest to me. Another easy climb and a short plateau overviewing the valley /inland below and finally a steep incline to the Zanja Peak. San bernardino mt on the north, the mt baldy and mt st antonio on the west and mt san jacinto on far east. Going down, using the west trail is quite difficult due to loose gravel and less switchbacks that could break the traction. The trail is in the hill’s backbone. Its true that this west side of the trail has little to no shade and lots of overgrown and bugs. The view approaches the houses/community below the valley. Knees were shaking but its all worth it. Will try the Crafton Hills Ridge-Zanja Peak connector next time.

Amanda Knox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 22, 2020
HikingRocky
View Amanda 's Recording
Adriana Gonzalez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 5, 2020
RunningNo shadeRockyScramble