Zanja Peak Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Yucaipa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,246 feet Route Type: Loop

Note that the western route of the loop is overgrown and steep.

I love this trail. I am on it almost every Saturday morning. Typically I go the “hard way” or to the left, clockwise, however it is described. I prefer the route this way as I am purposely taking it for the steep inclines and declines. This is great training ground prior to my big hikes I plan. I did run into a rattler about a week ago, but I was hiking in the evening around 5pm. Will never hike this trail with headphones in again. Luckily I was hiking with a companion that evening as naturally wasn’t wearing them to converse. Heard the rattle going and saw it was in striking position and distance as well, right on the edge of the tall grass where it meets the trail. Backed up and went up another route safely. People have been leaving painted rocks and messages along the trail. The grass is getting tall, and there is one spot where it’s a bit overgrown on the trail. Gets warm very quickly as there is no shade going up this route, bring water and/or I would suggest going early in the am. See ya on the trail, if so say hello!!

My adult son and I hiked it clockwise, tackling the steeper and harder side first, which I’m glad we did. It would have been more uncomfortable going down that way because of the risk of sliding due to steepness and lack of switchbacks. While that side provides nice vistas looking south and west, the other side feels more secluded and has more vegetation. The peak provides a nice panorama but unfortunately for us the day was hazy. In terms of challenge, I would classify this as a medium trail but I can see how someone who is out of shape or has health problems would find the west side of the trail quite challenging. While I prefer more remote hikes at higher elevations, this is a good and worthwhile trail for what it is and where it is (foothills in a populated area). Good ease of access. I recommend hiking it shortly after sunrise due to lack of shade.

Really pretty this time of year (tons of flowers and wildlife). Better doing it it counter clockwise like I did

Very steep trail, its a loop so u can either take a left or right fork in the begining. Left is much much harder. Very steep rocky, but i recommend pushing urself, u will get breaks where u level off once ur over the main peak. Highly recommend as of 5/1/2020 trail is open but some parts are overgrown. Havent seen a rattler yet.

A good moderate in some parts To hard steep inclines and rocky gravel downhills which is your main enemy. A good traction shoes is a must. Some recommended to use walking sticks, saw a couple used one, definitely helpful thru the steep declines. As recommended, begin in the eastern part (dump trail) of the loop, its a moderate steep ascent, lots of steady switchbacks before reaching the “scenic dump trail/overlooking bench” ascent continues and trail narrows. For me, that was the most scary part as the trail sits on the high cliff. Keep your footing accurately. As I continue, the blue and white deer-brush shrubs dotted the mt range- beautiful and this part offers a lot of shade and photo ops. Seems like fairy forest to me. Another easy climb and a short plateau overviewing the valley /inland below and finally a steep incline to the Zanja Peak. San bernardino mt on the north, the mt baldy and mt st antonio on the west and mt san jacinto on far east. Going down, using the west trail is quite difficult due to loose gravel and less switchbacks that could break the traction. The trail is in the hill’s backbone. Its true that this west side of the trail has little to no shade and lots of overgrown and bugs. The view approaches the houses/community below the valley. Knees were shaking but its all worth it. Will try the Crafton Hills Ridge-Zanja Peak connector next time.

recorded Zanja Peak Trail

Good two to two and a half hour hike including a brief break at the top

This is definitely not a moderate hike. Steep inclines but we’ll worth the climb.

Nice trail. It was much harder than expected but the views were great. I would rate this trail as strenuous. Lots of uphill steep climbing.

this trail was harder than I expected but beautiful views

I would not consider this moderate. Yikes. Heights. Rocks. Yikes.

This trail is a great workout. I would recommend starting on the trail to the left and hiking straight up to the peak, then run or hike down the trail on the right to get back down.

Great trail.. I went off to the right first and it was a steady incline.. then on the way down it was really steep (not so good on the knees). There was a little bit of snow. My dogs loved it and the view at the peak was incredible... 360 view of all the mountains in the area. I wore a light jacket and a long sleeve shirt and I was plenty warm. Will definitely do this again.

Great trail. A few parts were challenging, but the views were great.