Birbent Canyon Via La Jolla Spring Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(24)
Los Padres National Forest

Birbent Canyon Via La Jolla Spring Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Los Olivos, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,049 feet Route Type: Out & Back

STAY AWAY. pointless trail to nowhere. Extremely hot, very challenging. Bring lots of water and excessive amounts of DEET if you absolutely must go. But be smart. Go somewhere else. No view. Nothing to make it worth it; no pay off. Just overgrown trails, deer flies and rattle snakes. Yup. Almost got bit. BAD.

So overgrown that it’s basically bushwhacking! It does definitely have the potential to be a nice quick, great trail but it was a brutal go. Honestly, I should have turned back but I was so curious about the streams and campsites that I kept at it. But the stream is overgrown with nettles and there were flies and gnats everywhere. Lastly, there were little stickies that got on my socks and legs that really tore up my legs. Ouch. Until this gets some maintenance, I don’t recommend this hike at all.

Amazing hike! Beautiful poppies, lupine, and other wildflowers. Great views of mountains, grasslands, and valleys- everything is so green right now! This hike is a quick out and back down to a creek that was flowing enough for my dogs to get a drink and cool off. There are two little tent campsites to backpack out there at the bottom also. The trail is easy to follow, a few of the bushes are overgrown but not bad. Good pullout parking area at the trailhead, it’s just a bit past the Forest Service Ranger Station, and the trailhead is easily visible on the left side of the road.

This trail has amazing views and if you go during wildflower season- it’s gorgeous. There is a shaded creek area with campsites at the end of the hike, perfect for relaxing. Not too difficult overall, some moderately steep climbs and descents but we enjoyed it. I wore regular sneakers and was fine. Have fun!

Sun Mar 31 2019

I went on this hike today with my pup. The poppies were beautiful! The creek at the bottom was peaceful and the trail was not too crowded at all. Be sure to bring enough water because the trip back is much more strenuous than you may think. Also, this trail has not been maintained so wear shoes with ankle support because it is EASY to slip... I did multiple times. I should also mention that I had to comb my dog over multiple times and shampoo him to get the ticks off... even then I might bring him to the vet to make sure he is clean and safe- a few of the ticks I found were definitely deer ticks. Be careful.

Mon Feb 19 2018

Really enjoyed this trail. The day we went it didn’t seem like there were much bugs and didn’t notice any lady bugs. Most of the trail was maintained at this time. There were just a few parts that you had to push your way through. Be careful of the poison oak though. Great view of the mountains. It was not heavily trafficked and it was very peaceful. Got to where the stream and campsites were and almost turned around to head back, but decided to go just a little further in, past the campsites. So glad we did. There was the nicest part of the stream pooling up and flowing like a baby waterfall. Most of the trail was pretty easy, just a steady incline going back up from the valley.

Sun Jan 28 2018

Fun, scenic trail. Creek at the bottom had some makeshift campsites but the bugs/gnats might be an issue. Ladybugs by the millions as well.

Tue May 30 2017

Beautiful little trail that is rather easy, but very scenic. It is a bit overgrown in places and the trail can be narrow, so trekking poles are handy. The Alamo Pintado creek at the bottom still has some water flow, but the area was covered with ladybugs. on IG as @picbynathan

Sun May 28 2017

Took the trail on a nice, just-right-for-hiking weather. The view of the valley below was magnificent and the breeze on the first half of the trail was encouraging. The winding path was decent and safe to trek though there were areas that needed bushwhacking. Suffice to say, our dog made the round-trip hike. Watch out for stickers though. Both sides of my hiking pants were covered with stickers but seeing the wild flowers, sage and lavender are worth it!

Wed May 10 2017

Beautiful windy road from Los Olivos to trailhead. Spectacular views but we ventured on a day when heavy fog was still clinging to the mountain. The trail was narrow but decent. We turned back about half way because the trail was a bit more treacherous and wet and we didn't have hiking boots with us. Many beautiful wild flowers!

Sat Apr 01 2017