Yuba Rim Trail

Yuba Rim Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North San Juan, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Opened officially to the public in the spring of 2015, this volunteer built Land Trust trail offers views of snow-capped peaks and the confluence of the Middle Yuba River and North Yuba River. From Nevada City, take Highway 49 towards Camptonville, turn left on Marysville Road and cross over the Bullards Bar Dam. Rice’s Crossing Preserve is located 1.3 miles from the dam. There is a sign. Park in the rock quarry on the right and cross the road to the North Meadow where you will find the trailhead. This trail allows dogs on leash, has nice views at the beginning and at the turn-around, with rocks in the shade that make for a nice spot to eat a snack or lunch (watch out for poison oak and snakes). This trail is maintained by Bear Yuba Land Trust and is located on the Rice's Crossing Preserve. Trail is rated as moderate (there is nothing technical about this trail, but it can get very hot).

Well shaded. Easy walking surface. Great view at the end.

Hiked this today in the peak heat of the day, yet because there is a lot of shade cover for most of the path up to the scenic view at the end of the trail (and because I brought my shade umbrella and lots of water), this was doable (sweaty but doable). There are a lot of blackberry brambles to ensnare you all along the way. I got tangled in some vicious overhanging brambles with my umbrella, and drew some blood on my ankles and legs, but poison oak was not on the trail in any significant way (mostly I saw it at the end among the rocks). I enjoyed this hike, despite it being a bit out of a drive outside of Nevada City. I was the only one on the trail (of course, it was 100 degrees when I was hiking, so no one else was crazy enough to pick that time of day!)
If you need the Google GPS coords: 39°22'50.5"N 121°08'56.0"W.
I recorded elevation gain of 965ft, 5.1 miles (though I did accidentally go down a private road when I wasn't paying attention, and it was all down hill, and then all back up hill again).