EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Yosemite Point

Yosemite Point is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,635 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A great viewpoint to provide fantatisc views of Yosemite Valley land features, including Half Dome and Lost Arrow Spire. Yosemite Point (6,939 ft.), a mountain cliff, stands right to Yosemite Fall and provides great and unobstructed views on the Yosemite Valley area. To get there, you need to hike the Upper Yosemite Fall Trail to the top of the valley, cross Yosemite Creek, then follow the North Dome trail to the junction for it. The trail head to the Upper Yosemite Fall trail is located at somewhere near the Camp 4 campground. Please allow 6-8 hours for this strenuous hike.

Epic on a sunny day

The main piece of advice that I have for anyone considering this hike is to start EARLY. We took our first steps on the trail just as the sun was coming up and only met about 3 other groups the entire way up. Coming down at about 3 o’clock there were literally hundreds of people coming up the trail! It was a steep hike in the first little bit and the last switchbacks to the left of the falls will make you dig deep! The awesome views on the way up, at the top of the falls, and at the top of Yosemite Point are well worth it!

Great views at the end and of the stream leading up to the falls. I was just not a fan of this hike. Not a tough hike, but long, steep and a bit uneventful. I recorded 17km, which is longer than what is outlined by All Trails. We did see a bobcat on the trail, which was the highlight for me. We decided to do some summits up Tioga Road, which is more up our alley.

Definitely come here after the Falls for a much much better view!

Nice hike difficult by the uneven and the quality of the path (stones and roots). The perfectly marked path climbs continuously with a constant elevation. The views are magnificent on the peaks and granite cliffs. East exposure of the whole way, the sun is present in the morning. Provide sufficient water. We are rewarded on arrival and must go through upper fall point before or return Yosemite point not to deprive of its 2 fantastic panoramas!

Very steep. The whole way up. But worth it. Many types of people made it up.

Beautiful views most of the trail. While there was no water flowing over the falls , the granite walls and many views of half dome, clouds rest etc were spectacular. That extra .8 miles to Yosemite point was well worth it!

The hike to upper Yosemite Falls is steep. Get an early start to beat the sun. Little to no shade on the top half of the trail. The views at the top are worth all the sweat and pain. The extra mile or so from the falls to Yosemite Point isnt bad and the view is spectacular.

Amazing views from the top, would suggest this trail! Tough trail - lots of elevation gain quickly. We did half dome up the cables the day before and found this more difficult (were tired from day before but don’t underestimate)

If you do the upper falls you might as well go the extra mile and do this baby. Not to mention I think it provides for the best view in the entire park. Done it several times and the views never get old.

recorded Yosemite Point

Appropriately rated as difficult - pretty straight up to the top and hard on the knees on the way down. We started around 9am and much of the trail was directly in the sun. The way down was more shaded but still really hot so bring lots of water and sunscreen. We took the detour to the pools at the top of the waterfall (worth it) and sat up at Yosemite point for an hour or so and it took us about 7 hours total and was about 9 miles. Definitely go the extra mile to Yosemite point for amazing views of half dome and the valley. Highly recommend!

This was spectacular! We originally planned to just do upper yosemite falls but were so glad we went the additional distance for the view there and just a little beyond to north point. The pools at the top of the falls were definitely a high point as well. Had read that in the other reviews and so true. We were on the trail by 8 and probably only saw a dozen people on the way up. With 3-4 stops on way up, it was about 2 1/2 hrs for us to get to falls. Only a few people in the pools when we went first time. When we headed back down we went in again - more people by then but still not bad for a Friday in August. Was glad we brought the 4 liters of water for each of us - definitely needed. And forgot to bring the poles on this hike - those would have made a huge difference on the way down. Other than the stone stairs on the switchbacks, much of the trail feels like trying to run on the beach (very soft - very sandy). Next time I would also wear different shoes (had my favorite shoes but they’re better for rockier trails). Was pretty cooked by the end but so worth it! Will be back!

This hike was incredibly worthwhile. In Vermont my partner and I trained all summer hiking 3 mountains to practice steep altitude change. So happy we did! The hike was strenuous but worth it. We brought 7 liters of water, on the last mile down we ran out, 8 liters would be best for two people! It took us 7 hours with 1 hour of solid rest and chill in the pools at the top and at the point. We had no idea based on reviews there were places to swim at the top but I suspect that’s not always the case as the water flows faster in spring. Switchbacks at the top are the hardest part especially in 100 degree weather! Whew! And the altitude difference due to where we live... Sandy on the way down: shoes with good grip I recommend. Definitely chill at the falls and then go up to the point! You already made it so far go for it and go to the point- you will not be disappointed. Do the dang hike! I promise the pics don’t do it justice!

Okay let me just start by saying this trail is incredible, the views are great and it’s probably closer to 10 miles depending on where you park. This took my group 8 hours because of slow people in the group if it was up to me even with the foot of snow on top I could’ve got up twice as fast. Also be cautious remaining snow if left until after spring break.

Quite steep day hike, starting from Camp 4 parking lot up to the top of the waterfall first, then to Yosemite Point where you get the most amazing view on the park. The trail is well marked all along, therefore very easy to follow. Would recommend to leave early in the morning as it gets very warm during the day and very crowded as well (though most people stop halfway and don’t reach the upper part). Bring plenty of water and a lunch for the top point where you can find amazing and isolated spots to enjoy the view while eating! The way down can be tricky sometimes, with some sandy / slippery rocks, so good shoes are necessary. In any case, the view from the top is breathtaking and is worth any effort!

Amazing but difficult hike. Recommend starting the hike early in the morning beachside the trail gets more crowded later in the day. Lots of zig zags and stairs but the views at the top are 100% worth it. Took about 5-6 hours.

Beautiful, strenuous hike in Yosemite Valley. Trail is super easy to follow and has spectacular views the entire way. Took about 6 hours round trip with many stops along the way. Only caveat is that it is quite crowded so make sure to use the restroom beforehand. Overall an amazing trail that I would recommend to anyone with a moderate level of fitness.

Gorgeous!

Strenuous hike that just gets even harder until you reach the top of the falls. Starts off super crowded with a lot of traffic (I started the hike at 11) but after you pass the base of the falls it starts to clear out because so few people make it to the top. By the time I passed the top of falls and got to Yosemite Point there were maybe 5-10 other people out there. No clear cut trail once you're on top of the giant slab of granite but it's hard to get lost at that point anyways. The views are absolutely breathtaking and worth the sore legs. Take lots of water and wear sunscreen, also recommend decent sturdy shoes because the trail gets a little slick/rocky (saw some people in sandals and regular sneakers and they did not look too happy).

Worth the extra mile! Enjoy Yosemite Falls for a bit, and then mosey on over to Yosemite Point for even more breathtaking views!!

4 hours up and back, with a break to cool down the legs in the creek.. For those planning for this hike: This is a steep and technical trail. Leave early in the morning as most of the trail is exposed south and it gets really hot. Wear good shoes and carry lots of water. Use poles as they can help with progression and stability.

It took us less than 6 hour return trip to complete the hike to Yosemite Point but I have to admit we went pretty fast. It is worth it to make it to Yosemite Point from Upper Fall.