Yosemite Point

Yosemite Point is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,635 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A great viewpoint to provide fantatisc views of Yosemite Valley land features, including Half Dome and Lost Arrow Spire. Yosemite Point (6,939 ft.), a mountain cliff, stands right to Yosemite Fall and provides great and unobstructed views on the Yosemite Valley area. To get there, you need to hike the Upper Yosemite Fall Trail to the top of the valley, cross Yosemite Creek, then follow the North Dome trail to the junction for it. The trail head to the Upper Yosemite Fall trail is located at somewhere near the Camp 4 campground. Please allow 6-8 hours for this strenuous hike.

recorded Yosemite Point

Appropriately rated as difficult - pretty straight up to the top and hard on the knees on the way down. We started around 9am and much of the trail was directly in the sun. The way down was more shaded but still really hot so bring lots of water and sunscreen. We took the detour to the pools at the top of the waterfall (worth it) and sat up at Yosemite point for an hour or so and it took us about 7 hours total and was about 9 miles. Definitely go the extra mile to Yosemite point for amazing views of half dome and the valley. Highly recommend!

This was spectacular! We originally planned to just do upper yosemite falls but were so glad we went the additional distance for the view there and just a little beyond to north point. The pools at the top of the falls were definitely a high point as well. Had read that in the other reviews and so true. We were on the trail by 8 and probably only saw a dozen people on the way up. With 3-4 stops on way up, it was about 2 1/2 hrs for us to get to falls. Only a few people in the pools when we went first time. When we headed back down we went in again - more people by then but still not bad for a Friday in August. Was glad we brought the 4 liters of water for each of us - definitely needed. And forgot to bring the poles on this hike - those would have made a huge difference on the way down. Other than the stone stairs on the switchbacks, much of the trail feels like trying to run on the beach (very soft - very sandy). Next time I would also wear different shoes (had my favorite shoes but they’re better for rockier trails). Was pretty cooked by the end but so worth it! Will be back!

This hike was incredibly worthwhile. In Vermont my partner and I trained all summer hiking 3 mountains to practice steep altitude change. So happy we did! The hike was strenuous but worth it. We brought 7 liters of water, on the last mile down we ran out, 8 liters would be best for two people! It took us 7 hours with 1 hour of solid rest and chill in the pools at the top and at the point. We had no idea based on reviews there were places to swim at the top but I suspect that’s not always the case as the water flows faster in spring. Switchbacks at the top are the hardest part especially in 100 degree weather! Whew! And the altitude difference due to where we live... Sandy on the way down: shoes with good grip I recommend. Definitely chill at the falls and then go up to the point! You already made it so far go for it and go to the point- you will not be disappointed. Do the dang hike! I promise the pics don’t do it justice!

Okay let me just start by saying this trail is incredible, the views are great and it’s probably closer to 10 miles depending on where you park. This took my group 8 hours because of slow people in the group if it was up to me even with the foot of snow on top I could’ve got up twice as fast. Also be cautious remaining snow if left until after spring break.

Quite steep day hike, starting from Camp 4 parking lot up to the top of the waterfall first, then to Yosemite Point where you get the most amazing view on the park. The trail is well marked all along, therefore very easy to follow. Would recommend to leave early in the morning as it gets very warm during the day and very crowded as well (though most people stop halfway and don’t reach the upper part). Bring plenty of water and a lunch for the top point where you can find amazing and isolated spots to enjoy the view while eating! The way down can be tricky sometimes, with some sandy / slippery rocks, so good shoes are necessary. In any case, the view from the top is breathtaking and is worth any effort!

Amazing but difficult hike. Recommend starting the hike early in the morning beachside the trail gets more crowded later in the day. Lots of zig zags and stairs but the views at the top are 100% worth it. Took about 5-6 hours.

Beautiful, strenuous hike in Yosemite Valley. Trail is super easy to follow and has spectacular views the entire way. Took about 6 hours round trip with many stops along the way. Only caveat is that it is quite crowded so make sure to use the restroom beforehand. Overall an amazing trail that I would recommend to anyone with a moderate level of fitness.

Gorgeous!

Strenuous hike that just gets even harder until you reach the top of the falls. Starts off super crowded with a lot of traffic (I started the hike at 11) but after you pass the base of the falls it starts to clear out because so few people make it to the top. By the time I passed the top of falls and got to Yosemite Point there were maybe 5-10 other people out there. No clear cut trail once you're on top of the giant slab of granite but it's hard to get lost at that point anyways. The views are absolutely breathtaking and worth the sore legs. Take lots of water and wear sunscreen, also recommend decent sturdy shoes because the trail gets a little slick/rocky (saw some people in sandals and regular sneakers and they did not look too happy).

Worth the extra mile! Enjoy Yosemite Falls for a bit, and then mosey on over to Yosemite Point for even more breathtaking views!!

4 hours up and back, with a break to cool down the legs in the creek.. For those planning for this hike: This is a steep and technical trail. Leave early in the morning as most of the trail is exposed south and it gets really hot. Wear good shoes and carry lots of water. Use poles as they can help with progression and stability.

It took us less than 6 hour return trip to complete the hike to Yosemite Point but I have to admit we went pretty fast. It is worth it to make it to Yosemite Point from Upper Fall.

Spectacular views, but oh my goodness it’s a tough climb!

It's a gorgeous view from the top. So glad I went further than the top of the falls. Absolutely worth it.

Hardest trail I have done this year, beginner for sure. Did it in about 7 hours including a 30+ minute lunch break in that time. My phone read 10.9 when we hit the very bottom but it must be wrong.

Went on Hike Yesterday, 06/04/2019. It is a great, but difficult Hike. Need to be in shape. leave early in AM to avoid the Heat and crowds. Waterfalls is so strong this Year, plan on getting wet.

Great hike! Great views the entire trail!

The trail between the falls and North Dome is covered with tree debris, lost the trail many time but made to though thanks to the AllTrails app. Awesome long day hike, well worth the effort.

Beautiful hikes, a MUST! Did this hike this morning 5/30/19. Highly recommend if you at staying a few days in Yosemite. The hike took me about 3hrs hours to get to the Look out. There are beautiful views all up this trail. Recommend that if you plan on doing Nevada falls and upper Yosemite falls, do Nevada falls first. It will make upper Yosemite falls a much easier hike. It is mostly up hill and I would say 90% rocky trails. The trail consists of mostly switchbacks (a zigzag trail). Good shoes is highly recommend to prevent sprained ankles. Parts of the trail has water trickling down. Some areas are shaded. Today there were trail workers doing upkeep on the trail. So after today there will most likely not be a tree you have to climb over anymore. (Saw them sawing it today). Once you’ve reached Yosemite falls lookout the rest of the hike isn’t too bad. (you can see half dome from that side) plus there’s a bridge you get to walk over the falls. Last recommendation is to start the hike early. We started at 7:00, but that might be too early for some people. But definitely start by 9:00 it’s less crowded and a good temperature for the hike. Happy trails

Fantastic hike, strongly recommend!

Hard, especially the switchbacks alongside the upper falls. But amazing closeup views of the upper Yosemite Falls - we felt the mist of the falls as it thundered by on the ascent. The trail is a little confused after crossing the footbridge over Yosemite Creek, especially on the open granite rock, but we were able to look for hikers descending from the Yosemite Point outlook to guide us. The views from the outlook are incredible - worth the 4 hours of ascent. Absolutely the highlight of our trip.

AMAZING TRAIL in the valley! It is a straight up, 3.5 mile climb of rocky switchbacks to Upper Yosemite Falls. This trail takes you through the forest, up to the side of Yosemite Falls (you will get wet) and up above the falls. There is a lot of sun exposure on the hike. Stop at the Yosemite Falls Lookout Point for a rest/snack and then head to Yosemite Point (adding an extra 2 miles round trip). It is a gradual climb from the falls to the point but so well worth it. There are rails at Yosemite Point so you can look over but if you wander to the the left through the boulders you can get stunning views of Half Dome without the railing obstructing the view. We did this hike yesterday, 5/20/19. It started out cool and as we approached the falls the trail became very wet. Given the amount of snowfall this spring the trees were still covered in snow and the wind would cause the snow to fall on the trail. Prepare to be pelted by a few of the snowballs from the trees if you’re going before all the snow has melted! I was thankful I had a waterproof shell on because I got blasted by snow and ice falling. Waterproof boots are also a must because you’re crossing a lot of water/streams. I had my trekking poles which helped a lot both ways, particularly coming down as the rocks were super slick. There was still snow on the ground on the last 1-2 miles of the ascent so dress appropriately. The trail got pretty busy as the day went on so I was thankful we started the climb around 0730. I drank almost 4 liters of water on this trail and packed 4.5.