Yosemite Grand Tour

Yosemite Grand Tour is a 15.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 15.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,350 feet Route Type: Loop

My husband and I did this in reverse (per the suggestion of many people), for our very first visit to Yosemite. It was an epic day! Definitely some difficult parts that had me out of breath, but the views along the way are so worth it. Like many people have said, the beginning (Mist trail, along the falls) and Glacier Point were the most crowded, and Panorama Trail in between was the most quiet and peaceful and offered different terrain and scenery. Descending 4 mile trail at the end of a very long day was a bit challenging on the body, but I suspect better than descending the Falls side with all those stairs! Anyway, highly recommend this route if you're up for a long day (we did it in just over 8 hrs, with a few stops along the way). Get an early start to allow yourself enough time without having to rush through these beautiful trails

The best hike in Yosemite!! It just keeps on getting better. Definitely start with the falls.

Pretty cool route. Strongly suggest to do it backwards (as many other people also suggested). Panorama trail was the best part as well as the latter half of going up to glacier point since you then see all the falls which you were at yourself previously, and basically your whole hike. The four mile trail down is quite boring as it's constant switchbacks so you have the same view the whole time. Not a difficult hike, just strenuous if you're not fit (but one can just that him/herself based on the height and distance). All in all you see many great sights in one go. PS. Glacier point sucks since there are so many people (you can drive up).

I can’t believe this trail is not more popular. This really gives you the full Yosemite experience! My boyfriend and I did this trail a week ago. We started in reverse because we were worried about it getting dark and having to do the falls in the dark. I personally preferred the reverse way, but it just depends what sort of hiking you like. If you do it in reverse you will start with a steep, paved up hill climb, followed by stairs and finally some very narrow switch backs. After some flat area to catch your breath there will be another slow incline to Glacier Point but everything from there is downhill. If you do it the way AllTrails recommends you will start with four miles of steel switch backs but almost everything after that will be downhill. Personally I preferred the way we did it because I think switch backs like that would have been so exhausting I’m not sure if I would have wanted to finish the hike. The good thing about this hike is that you can dip half way at Glacier Point if you decide it is not something you want to finish. The hike itself had incredible views and was worth every step of the climb. The falls were my favorite part by far. Right after the second fall there is a shaded area that seems great for resting, but is swarming with mosquitoes. If we were still for more than 30 seconds in that area we would have 5-15 on us in seconds. After that there is little shade so be sure to bring a hat and sunscreen! Also make sure to bring lots of water, you’ll cross a lot of water on the way and if you bring water sanitation drops you can re-fill there and save yourself from having to lug 3-4 liters over the entire hike. The AllTrails mileage is a bit off, we logged 17 miles in 9 hours on this hike. This trail is totally do-able, as long as you have the stamina and experience. My boyfriend and I are from Colorado and we climb 14-ers pretty regularly and multiple parts of this whopped our butts.

Truly epic, legendary hike! We skipped out the flat 3 miles through the valley by parking near happy isles and getting the shuttle bus to the start of the 4 mile trail. We set out at 11.30am which was a massive error. It meant we tackled the climb which is long and steep at midday (thankfully it started raining which cooled us down). We hit glacier point at 2.15pm, cooked up some pasta on our trangia and then set out at 3.30pm. We hit the top of Nevada falls at 6.30pm and then our pace ground to a halt. The decent is punishing on your already tired quads and knees and for a small person (my wife is 5’1) it is particularly tricky. We ended up coming down the vernal falls steps in the dark with an iPhone torch on. It was pretty scary and definitely don’t recommend it after sundown. You get totally soaked to the bone and the steps are slippery which makes the raging torrent below less beautiful and more panic inducing. My recommendation would be to do this hike backwards (tackle the mist trial first) then the descent down 4 mile trail is easier going on tired legs and more well lit. Definitely a classic but will have nightmares about that last mile for years to come

This hike should be much higher ranked within Yosemite hikes. Its the #1 and #7 hikes combined. Anyway great views! Id suggest going up Vernal and Nevada falls side and down the Four Mile/Glacier Point side. That way if you are done in by the time you get to glacier point you can buy an overpriced bus ticket back to the valley without sacrificing any of the major views. Between Nevada falls and Glacier point there is some elevation changed but nothing near as intense as what you did to get to either of those two points. Fog rolled in for about 2 hours we tried to wait it out but our patience broke 1.5 hrs in, bummer should of waited the extra half hour. We went early mid may.

Monday, September 17, 2018

This trail is a great trail where you can see all the sites in one long day. It ended up being 18 miles, not 15. We stayed on the same trail as recommended. It was worth it but the description said 15 miles. This hike includes the Vernal Falls, Nevada falls, great panorama views of half dome, and Yosemite valley. At mile 11-12, you hit Glacier Point which is a tourist stop. Great views and a convenience store to stop and get something to eat or drink. The rest of the trip down faces El Capitan and different views then the beginning of the trip. 4 miles straight down and then another two miles to get you back to Half Dome Village, if that’s where you parked.

Friday, June 22, 2018

It’s a great way to see a lot in a day. Lots of sun at the end and lots of uphill in the beginning. Took about 10 hrs with ample breaks and a dip in a river. Start early in the day to get the climb done while it’s cool.

Monday, January 29, 2018

Did this trek a while ago back in 2006! But can still remember most of the route, definitely the best way to see the main features in the Valley. Back this summer, first time for 12 years. Can't wait.

Monday, January 01, 2018

Perhaps the name of the loop is vague, perhaps place names like Vernal Falls and Glacier Point drive people to other hikes on the site, but this is my choice for greatest possible day hike. Bar none. This specific loop converted me into a hiking person. I try to do it every year.

Friday, June 09, 2017

A wonderful tour of Yosemite's highlight: Glacier Point through the Four Mile Trail, then catch up with Nevada and Vernal falls through Panorama trail. A departure around 8-9am is really advised to be able to see the falls while the sun is still shining!

Tuesday, October 09, 2018