York Trail

York Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Oakland, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice hike. Not really kid friendly as some of the trails are SUPER narrow and a steep downhill on the side of the hills. Must be nice after a good rainfall as there is a river you follow as some waterfalls!

Awesome trail! Some areas are a drop off so just be careful if you bring your little fur friend with you. Love that everyone had their dogs off leash (because that means I can too, right?)

Lots of fun and beautiful bridges and little waterfalls, but be aware, this is a challenging hike with lots of slipping hazards. Everybody had their dog off leash, which was awesome for us.

First time trying this trail and I absolutely loved it. You get a beautiful view of all the neat trees and how some are formed, you have the sound of the birds and the water flow. Beautiful lil waterfalls. If you keep going up you see the amazing view of the cities surrounding. Some of the trail is narrow so just be careful on that but this was a great hike and I look forward to going again soon! The place is dog friendly which is a plus because I took my big guy and he enjoyed himself as well

Walk along the creek was very narrow and steep. I was very happy to take the fire road on the way down. Views weren't that exciting; I have a suspicion that the first uploaded pic is not from this hike, but I might be wrong. Panoramic views of east bay at the top.

Pretty waterfalls after all our rain!!!

This trail is in a lovely shaded redwood forest along the creek, waterfalls and in a hidden canyon in an Oakland suburb. The trail is short (2 miles) and relatively flat (591 feet). It is not well kept up and there are not many trail signs, but once you climbed up you would be rewarded with some fantastic views over Oakland and the bay area.

One of my favorites so far in Oakland. I like having to use my hands when I hike. And because the trail isn't as well maintained it makes for interesting obstacles like fallen trees along your path.

A hidden gem! The trail head was very unassuming as there was some graffiti, but once you go back the trail it is very beautiful. The trail goes up the hill along a creek and within moments you feel as though you are deep in the woods. It rained the day before, so the trail was wet and the creek was flowing strong. There were some fallen trees that I had to climb over/under. It was a little treacherous from the rain and slippery at parts and I actually wiped out climbing on one of the downed trees. There is a spot where you will need to cross the creek via a board and some rocks. It wasn't obvious to me at first and I went to the left and up the hill on another path.

After crossing the creek, you will continue hiking alongside it for about another 1/4 mile until you intersect another wider path. This takes you to the top of the hill. Near the top, there was a lot of water from the rain that blocked the main path, but there was another way around. The top of the hill offers great views of the entire east bay and peninsula.

Overall, this trail was a lot of fun. What it didn't offer in distance it made up for in adventure. I would rate it moderate as there is a significant climb to the top and the path is very narrow at parts. One wrong step could make for a bad day.

Something noteworthy is that Leona Heights Park is operated by the city of Oakland and not by the East Bay Regional Park District.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Beautiful trail. My dogs love it!