Yontocket Trail

Yontocket Trail is a 5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Yontocket, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Simply follow the directions and stick to the map. The only real downfall other than being a little boring and easy is with the exception of the loop on the end it's a wide, dirt road that could easily be driven in your car if the gate was open... Keep your eyes open for elk!

Thought this would be a quick and easy 5 mike hike. Turned at the post pointing to the beach in .5 miles. Lost the trail several times, eventually made it to a beautiful secluded beach. Had to call 911 to get back out, almost had S&R come get us after wandering around aimlessly for over an hour. Luckily they were able to direct us to another trail nearby that met up with the main road based off of our GPS coordinates. Apparently not for recreational, novice hikers.

Monday, October 17, 2016

There is a sign to mark the beginning of the trail in the small parking area and the hike goes through the Yontocket Cemetaries. This is one of my go to hikes with my dogs. I have seen eagles, hawks, deer and elk on this trail. There are a few variations within the park including some single tracks and routes out to the beach. I'll post up a few variations that I've done. There is supposedly a good porcupine population here as well but as yet I haven't seen any.