Yankee Jim's-Indian Creek Trail

Yankee Jim's-Indian Creek Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

Not a fan... the trail was easy to find but I’m familiar with the area. The big downfalls were the trail being more like an animal path. It’s very overgrown which creates a problem when the area is infested with ticks. I saw the warning sign but thought it would be okay since I had deet on and long pants with a long shirt. Not so lucky. I had four ticks on me and two embedded. The poison oak was decently bad as well. I do not recommend for dogs considering these two things. It’s a bit technical due to the fallen trees and narrow path. Crossing the creek wasn’t a big issue. You just need to take your shoes of and roll up the pants. The view was pretty but the end is really no more significant than the beginning. I’m checking it off my list but I won’t go back unless some maintenance is done in the trail.

Beautiful bridge, and plenty of watering holes around the trail head. The trail head is across shirttail creek and there is some wading involved so bring proper foot wear. The trail itself is not used regularly so there are lots of fallen branches and tall grass hanging over the trail which is prime real estate for ticks.. so..

Beware! The “Tick Infestation” signs need to be taken seriously! Especially if visiting during the spring/summer months. Even with all my precautions I ended up plucking off a dozen or so from myself and my dog before they could burrow in. If you bring your pets recommend you think about getting any tick prevention medications but still do your due diligence to thoroughly tick check your dog and yourself!!

I will be back, but most likely to enjoy the watering holes and views from the bridge.

Beautiful. Lots to see but couldn’t cross the “creek” to continue through this trail. Very unpassable 2-3 weeks ago. Parked near the bridge and explored along the road and took many photos next to all the waterfalls we found ! Will come back sometime in the fall and hopefully can cross the creek then !

We were unable to cross the river over the rocks to get to the trail. We dis not want to risk it. Maybe wait until winter is over. I didn’t know we had to cross. I will try again in the summer. Beautiful drive!

worth the gravel road for scenery along trail, great swimming spots.

Beautiful hike! Insanely clear water. Watch out for poison oak and rattle snakes this season. Ran into both during our hike

Like others said, very hard to find the trailhead. We had no problem getting here and parking because we have a jeep rubicon, but like others said, very very hard to find the trailhead. We did a little exploring near a waterfall (not near the trail but off of the road) and had fun doing that.. but by the time we found the trailhead we were exhausted and overheated. Recommend going VERY early in the day. Also, at this point in time, you have to get in water to get to the trail due to water levels. That was scary as heck. Anyway... wouldn't recommend this trail in the summer. Maybe we will try it again in November

rock climbing

First Things First: Before you come here, consider your vehicle. I don't recommend sedans make the drive down to the bridge where you park and start the hike or swim. Road is very eroded in lots of spots, very dusty, and will mess up alignment on anything smaller than 4x4. See other reviews for reference. If you park at the top, no guarantees on not getting ticket and it is a 2.5 mile walk to the bottom.

My ultimate favorite swimming hole north of Sacramento. Lots of large rocks to jump off into the water (ALWAYS examine water depths first, as they can change throughout the season!)

The water here is VERY clear in the spring and summer months. Bring goggles for a visual treat, can see all the way down.

Best time to go is probably spring and summer. In the fall, the water levels tend to purge down too far.

Note: Pay to park is $10 last I checked but bring a few extra bucks just in case it goes up. There is a payment deposit post; Put cash in envelope and fill out required vehicle information, then deposit in box. Some folks try not to pay but I recommend doing it. Have seen people get ticketed when rangers come through, and I'm pretty sure they come through daily.

Pack List:
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Goggles
Parking money (Cash $10+)
All-Wheel Drive
Trail shoes, water, and long pants for hiking.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Not for the faint of heart - we had to ford waste deep across the tributary, then navigate lots of downed branches, pass the sign that says "highly infested with ticks carrying Lyme disease" and dodge the poison oak. Otherwise a lovely hike.

Monday, May 01, 2017

Fun trail - make sure you are comfortable with a tight cliff ride to / from the bridge. A large downed tree put my Ram tire just slightly off the road coming back towards Forrest Hill.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Had an awesome experience on this hike! First, the road just to get to the parking lot was not passable for my honda civic. I do not advise anyone to bring a little car because you will have to walk 2.5 miles down to the bridge. The walk to the water was mostly down hill and the walk back was not too bad walking uphill. The shore was easily accessible too

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Very short but sometimes sketchy hiking/climbing to get to the water but definitely worth it! Absolutely beautiful swimming spots. Watch out for itty bitty river leeches, there are tons clinging to the rocks. Parking is scarce so you may have to park on the side of the street. The road leading to this location is very rocky/bumpy so take it easy. If you know your vehicle has a hard time with varied terrain I would not suggest this trip. Otherwise, it's lovely.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Beautiful short hike but it's a great spot to go swimming.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Tough to find the trail head. Spent 30 minutes trying to figure it out. Used the directions by the some previous reviews which was more helpful. Once it was found trail is pretty self explanatory. It's narrow and some precarious parts but otherwise a good hike along the river.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Loved this hike! Small bummer that both the falls were dry but the pace of the hike is amazing. Narrow trail, lots of up and down but just the right amount to not tire you out and you get some great activity going. One warning - you have to cross a portion of the river feed to get to the trail - to get across one of the jumps is pretty long and the rocks are pretty slick so go carefully. Other than that I had s blast and the sights were incredible of the river below... Go early to get parking and check out the small cave before you cross the bridge - swallows nest there and it is pretty cool - trail head starts by crossing the bridge, tiring left to go form the stairs and the turning left to get to the river - 40 feet then to the right and cross the rocks on the river - trail is easy to follow from there

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

It was a narrow trail with a couple cool waterfalls. The suspension bridge at the trailhead was neat.

We walked down to the river and it's a beautiful view down there with rushing water and lush greenery/wildflowers.

Just a word of advice: The rocks are slick at the waterfalls.

The parking wasn't great and the road to the trail is pretty rough.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

for sure a little tricky to find the trail head, but once you cross the smaller stream running into the major river the trail is easy to find. super narrow trail with a few trees down that you need to maneuver around. But overall an awesome hike along the side of the river.

Sunday, January 04, 2015

This is a narrow trail along the river canyon. We hiked it in January with frost on the ground and it was slow going. Because of this it felt a little longer than the listed 3 miles. Towards the end, the trail opens up into a meadow that should be really nice in summer.

Depending on the time of year, getting on the trail maybe the most difficult part. At the trail head, after you take the wooden stairs down, you need to cross the creek that feeds into the river. Some rock hopping is required when the water is high.

I have added a link to the ASRA trail guide:

Saturday, January 03, 2015

Got lost trying to find the trail after walking down the steps. Cross the creek to find the rest of the trail!! Hope this helps. Beautiful trail and definitely going back to swim in the summer

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Great trail and one of the best places to swim I have ever seen. The water was warm and crystal clear! We hiked back maybe 2 miles to find a secluded swimming hole. There are more trails than the one that goes to the waterfall, and this time of year the waterfall is dry anyway. This one would have received 5 stars if it weren't for the $10 parking (no free parking around). There's 4 miles of dirt road to get to the bridge, so this place is not too crowded.

Monday, April 07, 2014

Absolutely beautiful trails with great views of the American River! In the springtime all the poppies and windflowers are in bloom but spring also means tons of ticks and poison oak. I would highly recommend that dogs should not go on this trail, I literally picked over 40 ticks off my two dogs. Great trail but beware!

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Beautiful swimming holes! Trail is hard to find...make sure you cross at Shirttail Creek. Worth walking about mile down trail to swim!

Saturday, January 26, 2013

I hiked this trail in late November, it was nice but very rainy. It doesn't look like it snows out here at all. The trailhead was easy to find but then soon after the trail disappears and I was left guessing which way to go. I imagine this place is nice in the summer time because of so many different swimming spots this river has to offer. But then again, the crowds of people will probably be there too.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017