Learn more

Wrights Lake to Enchanted Pools is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Twin Bridges, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 3.3 mi Elevation gain 367 ft Route type Out & Back

No shade

Fee

Description
Waypoints (1)

The trail after Twin Lakes branches off is almost non existent, so make sure you have your map handy.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (183)
Photos (316)
Recordings (122)
Completed (278)
Laura H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike! Highly recommend keeping an eye on the map as it’s really easy to wander off the correct path

Rob Arosteguy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 31, 2020
HikingRocky

Gorgeous, beautiful hike. How I never knew about this hike, I don't know. very easy out and back, but it's so much more. Birds galore, the scenery was amazing, and the pools/waterfall were just perfect. Took my 3 boys, 12, 10, and 6. They all did it with no issues, they absolutely loved the swimming holes. Couple of things...trail over rocks was very, very difficult to find. Cairns have been placed wherever people have walked so they are no help. Someone chalked some arrows, but it is well faded. I had to have my downloaded map open and on to navigate. Also, the split isn't marked at all, and it's easy to take the right (whicj is wrong) trail instead of going left when you need to. Lastly, suggest you go early and on a weekday...we did and got the pools to ourselves for a good while before another 2 people arrived. But as we were leaving groups and groups of hikers, backpackers, bikes...all heading in. So, time it right to have the place to yourself. Anyway, well worth a visit and very kid friendly.

Andrionni Ribo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
Hiking

Trails overall marked with a combinations of rock cairns and packed pathways. AllTrails map was overall quite helpful. Went early in the morning and enjoyed the pools with just the group.

View Andrionni's Recording
Rene Bermudez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail. Highly recommended. Mot bothered mosquitos. Alltrail Map was absolutely needed, unless you find people on the way that direct you.

View Rene's Recording
Takin Chances
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

Awesome trail.. sometimes you can get lost so good to have a map.. but wasn’t difficult

View Takin's Recording
Gena Sanchez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
WalkingOff trailRocky

great trail! went the wrong way a couple of times but eventually made it. 4.4 miles out and back because went the wrong direction. keep an eye on your map as you can get off track easy. otherwise worth the trip. definitely my favorite

View Gena's Recording
Shelly Hillier
HikingBugsRocky

We arrived at 5:30pm and it was THE BEST!!!!! Everyone must’ve left to go back to camp or go home. We had the trail and every pool to ourselves! I can only imagine the hoards of people that must come here on the daily! So beautiful. Having the PRO maps GPS is a must! We read reviews about the mosquitoes and they were attacking right at the start. We showered ourselves in outdoor off and then they left us alone. Gorgeous wildflowers and then the sunset! It was perfection!

tony barela
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Great day trip. The GPS was the key; surely would have gotten lost without it. Go early!! We were at the trailhead by 8:45, got to the pools, swam and hung out for a little while before the rest of the world showed up. As we left, rows of people were heading in. Very beautiful.

Deanna M.
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingBugsNo shadeOff trailRockyScramble

Star is for the POOR POOR trail marking...or lack there of. Didn’t even make it to the pools. I am sure had we navigated this hike better it would’ve no doubt been 5 stars! Bring bug spray...unless you enjoy being eaten alive. Bugs are EVERYWHERE!

Linh Dara
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingBugsFeeMuddy

Great for a day getaway.

Holly Moser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2020
Hiking

Parking is $8 and it was very confusing figuring out where to pay. You pay where the overflow parking is at, so I had to pay on the drive back as there was not a fee box at the main parking lot. At the overflow parking lot, the slip to pay shows its for camping so you have to write on the envelope that its for day use! The main parking lot is small parking lot that you'll have to be lucky to find a spot. If not, there is an overflow parking lot which would add another mile or so to your hike each way. There is one restroom in the parking lot. Make sure to use bug spray for this trail. There is a lot of mosquitos! I went on a tuesday morning so it was not too crowded but the parking was still packed. I almost did not download the map for this trail but it is a must!! If I did not have the map I for sure would have been lost. There was another trail that I started following and I happened to open the map and realized it was leading a different direction. Who knows what that trail even was. So without the map, I would have followed a completely different trail. It is a rocky hike so hiking shoes are a must. There is little shade so it can be a very hot trail if its over 80 degrees so I suggest going on a cooler day. The trail on the way there was 70% uphill but is a little easier on the way back. When you reach the rocky parts of the trail there are stacked rocks you can follow if you happen to not have the map but I would not rely on that. I think the trail needs to be marked more frequently so it is not so difficult. Its a pain having to stare at the map the whole time. Once I reached the end, It was very nice to go swimming where the waterfalls are at. Be careful though because there are a lot of big rocks in the water. It wasn't very deep so I do not suggest jumping in the water. The water was cold at first but felt great to swim after that hike. There was a tiny cave area on the left of the falls that was really cool to see. I personally do not think this is a good hike for children or dogs. There were some spots where the map took us through overgrown bushes. So some parts of the trail could be better maintained.

Sharon Watson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

The enchanted pools were beautiful and there were SO MANY to choose from. The water was clear and refreshing. A Variety of waterfalls of all sizes too. DEFINITELY download the map because it's difficult to follow the stacked rock markers.

ella lagerberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingBugsFeeOff trailRocky

My partner and I completed this hike on July 12th. I've given this trail 3/5 stars because though the views were great and I personally enjoy rock climbing, the mosquitos were annoying! We arrived at 8am. The parking lot you are suggested to park in was blocked off so we parked in the "OVERFLOW PARKING" lot. There is an $8 parking fee. There is no "Fee Tube" in the "Overflow Lot", so we luckily ran into a park ranger who gave us an envelope to place our $8 in and returned to ranger. There was a car parked on the side of the main road with a sign saying it would be towed today- so make sure you figure out how to pay for parking. This trail starts very buggy, we almost turned around and left (lol) but pushed through. There is a trail along the lake that takes you to "Twin Lakes TrailHead" which is ACTUALLY where THIS 'Wright Lake' trail starts. To get to this trail, you need to walk through the cabin/camping area, where you'll then run into another parking lot which is the start of the trail. If you walk along the lake, you will be greeted by hundreds of mosquitos. If you walk along the road that the cars are allowed to access through the cabin/camping area, there are significantly less bugs :-) The trail is mostly "Off Trail". The AllTrails app luckily kept us in the right direction for the most part but as others have mentioned, this trail is very difficult to navigate considering it is unmarked and a majority of this trail is ROCK "CLIMBING", This trail took us 4 hours total, and we ended up walking a total of 7.5 miles. (1.5 mile in, 3.5 on the trail, 1 mile exploring off trail, 1.5 mile back). We left around 12:30/1pm. There were lots of people around this time so definitely ARRIVE EARLY! The "Enchanted Pools" of this trail were beautiful and fun to dip your toes in. Be prepared for COLD water, saw lots of other young people getting in the water, too. I would suggest this trail to anybody who enjoys rock climbing or rock stacking. If you enjoy a little adventure off trail or if you just enjoy waterfalls and enclosed natural pool areas! Maybe not best suited for someone with bad knees/recent surgeries.

Edgar Cortes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingGreat!