Wright Peak Summit Trail

Wright Peak Summit Trail is a 7.6 mile out and back trail located near Kelseyville, California that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

7.6 miles 2083 feet Out & Back

A steady 1,649-ft. climb along a winding dirt road through open brush, past mature orchards, under towering oak forests to reveal stunning views from Wright Peak, elevation 4,299 feet at the top of Mount Konocti. Views of Mt. St. Helena, the remote Snow Mountain Region, and - on a clear day - the Sutter Buttes and Mount Lassen from the Cal Fire Tower during docent led tours. Highlights include: - Historic cabin site - Ancient maul oaks - Distant mountain vistas - Panoramic lake views - Volcanic peaks - Apple and walnut orchards Please note: No fires or smoking are allowed on Mount Konocti.

Out of the 3 peaks Konocti has to offer, I'd have to say this is my least favorite view. I'm sure if you can get access to the tower, it's much nicer. Don't get me wrong, it's still very lovely and worth the venture. You see parts of Clear Lake, but mainly you see the Rivera and the surrounding mountains ranges including the Buttes and Mnt. St. Helena. The hike leading up to Wright Peak after leaving the fork/second restroom is my favorite part of any of the hikes; it's much more wooded with Oak and Pine and not so much tick brush, informational markers, a cabin, and plane crash site. Once at the top, there are lots of rock formations to climb and explore and a few picnic benches to enjoy a snack. After the large rain fall we received in February, parts of the road are rutted. However, a regular ol' sedan can still easily make it up to the parking lot. The restroom always seem to be clean when I go and it's also a dog friendly trail. There are also several benches along the road for you to stop and enjoy partial veiws of the lake and surrounding agricultural properties, so a set of binoculars would be nice. It's about 85-90% exposed to the sun, so prepare accordingly. DO NOT bypass the orchard part of the trail in the beginning and try to walk up the road, the homeowners and their dogs will be extremely upset with you!

Good half-day hike through some forested areas and orchards. View from the top is great. Lookout tower was not open when I went up.

Beautiful location! The trail is smooth but constantly ascending, so it requires some exertion. My husband and I consider it to be a strenuous moderate hike. No technicality involved. We're 50-something and hiked up in under 2 hrs (with a snack break at the halfway point); we descended in about an hour. A wonderful day!
p.s. we brought our pup along and she wasn't the only one on the trail.

I found the walk itself to be leisurely, albeit consistently uphill. With a slow pace and good health it is not difficult to tackle. The view from the top is absolutely stunning and there is a lot of obsidian laying around on the trail. We also saw a good amount of wildlife.

After a long drive up a dirt and gravel road, you reach the parking lot with a well maintained restroom. Then you take the hiking path that leads several hundred feet through private property, but the area you are allowed on is well marked to ensure hikers remain in the designated area.
Overall difficulty of the hike is moderate with a few more challenging parts, comparable to the RLS trail up to St. Helena.
Views are decent. I've seen better and I've seen worse. The highlight is the view of the lake.
Took me about an hour and 15 to get to the summit, which included a few stops along the way to read the informational signs. Jogged down in about 35 minutes.
Not my absolute favorite, but a pretty good hike. I would do it again.

Grandest view around the lake. It says no dogs, but most people bring them anyway. Which is OK with me. I love dogs. Trips at different times of the year will offer different things to be admired.

The incline can get tough, but the trail is well maintained and very easy going. Shades spots along the whole trail make it easy for frequent breaks. Great hike!

Moderate cool shady and beautiful.

Great trail, but would not say hard. Hiked up slowly in 1:07 and ran back down in 33 minutes. Loved the little bit of history that you learn from the informational boards. Definitely taking my kids up here.

Solid, enjoyable hike with great views! Well marked and maintained, but we wish dogs were allowed :-(

Amazing hike with breathtaking views! It is a bit steep the majority of the way up but definitely worth it!

It was an awesome hike with a beautiful view! Easy to follow the fire road all the way up and not a terrible climb getting to the top of wright. Although it was a little cloudy, it was neat hiking through the canyon oak grove portion when it was filled with fog. Cool history throughout the trail and well marked. Got a little chilly at the top, but the hike to the top took us about 1 1/2 hours, 3 hours total.

Great little trail. About 3-4 hours round tip. Did this the day after a winter storm blew through.
Easy drive up the dirt road to the parking area (shouldn't be an issue unless you've lowered your car).
Trail is an almost unrelenting (yet only moderate) incline on a wide fire road.
Everything on the top half of the trail was beautiful frosted with ice/snow. Awesome views of Clear Lake from the summit, though the wind at the top makes for intense windchill.

Good trail