Wright Peak Summit Trail

Wright Peak Summit Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kelseyville, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2083 feet

A steady 1,649-ft. climb along a winding dirt road through open brush, past mature orchards, under towering oak forests to reveal stunning views from Wright Peak, elevation 4,299 feet at the top of Mount Konocti. Views of Mt. St. Helena, the remote Snow Mountain Region, and - on a clear day - the Sutter Buttes and Mount Lassen from the Cal Fire Tower during docent led tours. Highlights include: - Historic cabin site - Ancient maul oaks - Distant mountain vistas - Panoramic lake views - Volcanic peaks - Apple and walnut orchards Please note: No fires or smoking are allowed on Mount Konocti.

Hiked to Buckingham Peak last week. Beautiful views on the way up and great exercise. The views at Buckingham Peak aren't that great, they are blocked on most sides by brush, and the cell tower installation ruins the ambiance. I haven't done the Wrights Peak hike yet, but I would choose that next time over Buckingham. There were lots of flies in the shady parts of this trail, so consider wearing bug spray.

This is a moderate-difficult trail but the view along the trail is spectacular. The volunteers for fire lookout at the top of the Wight summit peak are very friendly and allowed us to check out their station. I do agree that doing the hike in the morning is probably better since we did out hike close to noon. However, the breeze was helpful and shady oak trees along the way.

Well marked path, the most beautiful views and a great challenge!! I loved the Downen Cabin, and the plane crash up at the top was a surprise. Trail is mostly exposed so go in the morning. Dog friendly

Start early this time of year!! It is 3 miles up and the. 3 miles down...a work out both ways! But the view from the top is amazing. Was definitely worth it. Trail is pretty much a county dirt road so easy to follow.

Great views from the top! Nice gain in elevation. There's a three mile drive on the dirt road to get to the parking lot. Several bathrooms on the trail. Wide, easy to see paths.

steep incline but worth the view

Great view from the top. The trails are carved out by vehicles run by CalFire so they're quite wide and it almost doesn't feel like a hiking path. Limited switchbacks so the incline at certain locations was a nice challenge. All in all a fun half day hike.

Great views from top. Steady incline.

Out of the 3 peaks Konocti has to offer, I'd have to say this is my least favorite view. I'm sure if you can get access to the tower, it's much nicer. Don't get me wrong, it's still very lovely and worth the venture. You see parts of Clear Lake, but mainly you see the Rivera and the surrounding mountains ranges including the Buttes and Mnt. St. Helena. The hike leading up to Wright Peak after leaving the fork/second restroom is my favorite part of any of the hikes; it's much more wooded with Oak and Pine and not so much tick brush, informational markers, a cabin, and plane crash site. Once at the top, there are lots of rock formations to climb and explore and a few picnic benches to enjoy a snack. After the large rain fall we received in February, parts of the road are rutted. However, a regular ol' sedan can still easily make it up to the parking lot. The restroom always seem to be clean when I go and it's also a dog friendly trail. There are also several benches along the road for you to stop and enjoy partial veiws of the lake and surrounding agricultural properties, so a set of binoculars would be nice. It's about 85-90% exposed to the sun, so prepare accordingly. DO NOT bypass the orchard part of the trail in the beginning and try to walk up the road, the homeowners and their dogs will be extremely upset with you!

Good half-day hike through some forested areas and orchards. View from the top is great. Lookout tower was not open when I went up.

Beautiful location! The trail is smooth but constantly ascending, so it requires some exertion. My husband and I consider it to be a strenuous moderate hike. No technicality involved. We're 50-something and hiked up in under 2 hrs (with a snack break at the halfway point); we descended in about an hour. A wonderful day!
p.s. we brought our pup along and she wasn't the only one on the trail.

I found the walk itself to be leisurely, albeit consistently uphill. With a slow pace and good health it is not difficult to tackle. The view from the top is absolutely stunning and there is a lot of obsidian laying around on the trail. We also saw a good amount of wildlife.