Woodson Mountain via Hwy 67

Woodson Mountain via Hwy 67 is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ramona, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Mt Woodson via Hwy 67 offers breathtaking vistas. This hike is moderately strenuous, and easy to access due to its convenient location. In the summer, be sure to take enough water, it gets extremely hot and dry! The views to the ocean and to Palomar Mountain to the East are worth the effort.

I hiked this trail both on Friday at noon and Saturday evening. Awesome hike up and awe-inspiring run down. My quads are on fire!!! Go early to avoid summer heat but doable (take enough water). Evening hike was the best. Approx 2-3hrs round trip. Weekday hike and evening no wait to take picture on edge aka Potato Chip Rock. Great trail will do again and again and again!!!

We started early in the morning at 7:00 am. We had to park on the street. There wasn’t any restrooms or trash cans. The hike was very pretty at 7:00 am. The sun wasn’t out very much. The hike was mostly uphill all the way to potato chip rock. On the way there are huge rocks and lots of stunning views. We saw bunnies, lizards, a scorpion, an eagle, and even a baby rattle snake. This early on a weekday we didn’t have to wait in a line to get to climb potato chip rock. Bring lots of water, snacks, and definitely a hat. The sun started to come up toward the end of our hike. We saw lots of kids on the trail, and some people had dogs too. The views and rocks are worth it!!

Nice cardio workout, beautiful views. I would have rated it 5 stars of it wasn't paved.

I’ve been hiking this mountain for nearly 30 years. It is quite the strenuous trail in parts but take your time and enjoy nature at its best! Be sure to bring sunscreen and water. It will be be very hot after 7am in summertime. It’s one of the most beautiful places in earth!!

The treck up is very challenging and completely rewarding when Complete

Good., challenging hike

Really good local hike. We decided to trek the shorter route, from SR 67. If you can, park on the same side as the entrance to the hike. The cars on that hwy speed by! We took our three year old son, and he made it all the way up and down. It has a paved road the entire way up, which was ideal for our little one. And just like most other reviews it was definitely steep throughout. The hike has great views and a ton of huge rocks that line the path. This hike is great if you want to reach potatoe chip rock quickly, and go during a weekday. It’s less crowded. Overall it was fun and moderately challenging at times.

We hiked this yesterday. It is a moderate hike that is best done in the early hours to avoid the heat. The path is asphalt all the way and there are clear signs posted at the entrance to it from the highway. There many towers and buildings around when you get to the top. On the trail, contrary to what most posts say, it was easy to find shady spots but the heat could get intense if there is no wind. My group was lucky enough to have a nice breeze most of the time. We started the hike around 10:00 am and were back to our car in about 3 hours with tons of stop for pictures and rests. The views are amazing. Glad to have done it.

Pretty standard hike. Potato Chip is a San Diego icon, so I recommend checking it off the list even if the line can be 20 minutes long! Bring lots of water. It’s a climb but super wide path

It’s a very steep incline but beautiful views all around. I recommend reaching the top before the sun comes out. The way back down is a breeze.

This is a cardio ass kicker!! Agree that the paved road leaves a bit to be desired (although probably safer for us prone to slips and trips.). Cool rock formations and stunning views. Got a blister and achey knees but it was a gorgeous day for it!

Nice trail that offers a lot of photo spots. A lot of cool rocks/ boulders for climbing as well. Kinda takes the "natural" feel for the trail since its all pavement, but reduces the risks of falling or slipping. The line for the photo at the potato chip rock is ridiculous though....

All Pave road, reaching the top to see potato chip rock was rewarding. It wasn’t much of a beautiful hike for me maybe it’s because of the paved road so it didn’t feel natural to me. I think the Poway side will be much better.

Fun fun

Back way to potato chip. Easy but very steep

It's a bit shorter going this way then from Lake Poway. Parking is along the road which is a busy road. Hike is up a paved road and no dirt whatsoever. This way is a constant uphill so you get a workout. I like dirt, I like not parking on the road, and there were lots of people, even on a week day. If you actually hike and don't do urban walks then start at Lake Poway and walk in some dirt.

A steep paved road that leads up to a summit that is bristling with radio masts.
A good workout, and no chance of getting lost, (even after dark), with nice views on all sides, though it's hardly communing with nature.

A lot of inclines, but worth it.

Having started from Lake Poway a couple years back in the height of summer but giving up due to the heat, I’d been waiting to try this shorter route ever since. You literally park on the side of the highway and the trail is right there, well marked and paved all the way which makes the steep climb slightly easier. It is very steep pretty much all the way but oh so worth it. The view from the top is incredible and If you’re willing to wait to get your photo at potato chip, the photos are worth it too! Highly recommended unless you really dislike seeing other people as we went during the week and still came across several other hikers. Booty was definitely feeling it the next couple days!!

We got to the trailhead around 10am on a Saturday. It was moderately steep the whole way up, and was pretty damn hot already. Luckily there were places to stop in the shade throughout the trail. Quite abit of people.
The boulders and the view are beautiful, but covered in power lines. I was disappointed when I got to the top due to all the ugly towers and power lines obstructing what would have been a lovely view. Of course there was a line for Potato Chip Rock which we didn’t stand in. Definitely bring lots of water! Won’t be hiking this trail again. Too much city for me.

Steep paved road towards the top. Great cardio and views from the top. Will try to climb this with my road bike someday

My calves are screaming at me today, but it was worth it!

Friday, August 11, 2017

This was our 2nd trip to potato chip rock. First time we took a longer trail at Poway recreation center. It was a very fun decent hike. We saw snakes, plants, even rabbits. My 6 year old son loved the trail. This time we took this fire road because my friend wanted to try. As others are mentioned, it's short and easy. It's just a paved steep road. I'd say if you don't have enough time and want to take a very short trip to potato chip rock, take this road.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Good straight up the mountain exercise approaching from the east side. Plus it's paved.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The Romona side was about a 40 minute steep walk, with a gorgeous view of the countryside. Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

I went on this hike to get to the famous potato chip rock. It was obviously an uphill climb 90% of the way. We went with 5 in our group and only 4 made it to the top. The views are spectacular and the picture opportunities are endless! Take plenty of water (1-2 liters) and sunscreen. And make sure your battery on your phone is charged for photos - especially once you reach potato chip!! And go in the morning on a weekday- otherwise there can be 1-2 hour waits for pictures at the top!!!!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

This is the shorter way to Potato Chip Rock and free parking on Hwy 67.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Look, 2 miles straight up is NOT moderate. We watched Marines panting and taking breaks in the shade. On the other hand, the views are spectacular, so the exertion was worth it. Take more water than you could possibly drink. You'll use it. The "chip" is a bit over-hyped. 2 hour wait for a cell phone photo? Really?? Anyway, I'm glad we did it once.