Woodson Mountain via Hwy 67

Woodson Mountain via Hwy 67 is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ramona, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

cave

Mt Woodson via Hwy 67 offers breathtaking vistas. This hike is moderately strenuous, and easy to access due to its convenient location. In the summer, be sure to take enough water, it gets extremely hot and dry! The views to the ocean and to Palomar Mountain to the East are worth the effort.

All Pave road, reaching the top to see potato chip rock was rewarding. It wasn’t much of a beautiful hike for me maybe it’s because of the paved road so it didn’t feel natural to me. I think the Poway side will be much better.

Fun fun

Back way to potato chip. Easy but very steep

It's a bit shorter going this way then from Lake Poway. Parking is along the road which is a busy road. Hike is up a paved road and no dirt whatsoever. This way is a constant uphill so you get a workout. I like dirt, I like not parking on the road, and there were lots of people, even on a week day. If you actually hike and don't do urban walks then start at Lake Poway and walk in some dirt.

A steep paved road that leads up to a summit that is bristling with radio masts.
A good workout, and no chance of getting lost, (even after dark), with nice views on all sides, though it's hardly communing with nature.

A lot of inclines, but worth it.

Having started from Lake Poway a couple years back in the height of summer but giving up due to the heat, I’d been waiting to try this shorter route ever since. You literally park on the side of the highway and the trail is right there, well marked and paved all the way which makes the steep climb slightly easier. It is very steep pretty much all the way but oh so worth it. The view from the top is incredible and If you’re willing to wait to get your photo at potato chip, the photos are worth it too! Highly recommended unless you really dislike seeing other people as we went during the week and still came across several other hikers. Booty was definitely feeling it the next couple days!!

We got to the trailhead around 10am on a Saturday. It was moderately steep the whole way up, and was pretty damn hot already. Luckily there were places to stop in the shade throughout the trail. Quite abit of people.
The boulders and the view are beautiful, but covered in power lines. I was disappointed when I got to the top due to all the ugly towers and power lines obstructing what would have been a lovely view. Of course there was a line for Potato Chip Rock which we didn’t stand in. Definitely bring lots of water! Won’t be hiking this trail again. Too much city for me.

Steep paved road towards the top. Great cardio and views from the top. Will try to climb this with my road bike someday

My calves are screaming at me today, but it was worth it!

This was our 2nd trip to potato chip rock. First time we took a longer trail at Poway recreation center. It was a very fun decent hike. We saw snakes, plants, even rabbits. My 6 year old son loved the trail. This time we took this fire road because my friend wanted to try. As others are mentioned, it's short and easy. It's just a paved steep road. I'd say if you don't have enough time and want to take a very short trip to potato chip rock, take this road.

Good straight up the mountain exercise approaching from the east side. Plus it's paved.

The Romona side was about a 40 minute steep walk, with a gorgeous view of the countryside. Enjoy!

I went on this hike to get to the famous potato chip rock. It was obviously an uphill climb 90% of the way. We went with 5 in our group and only 4 made it to the top. The views are spectacular and the picture opportunities are endless! Take plenty of water (1-2 liters) and sunscreen. And make sure your battery on your phone is charged for photos - especially once you reach potato chip!! And go in the morning on a weekday- otherwise there can be 1-2 hour waits for pictures at the top!!!!

This is the shorter way to Potato Chip Rock and free parking on Hwy 67.

Look, 2 miles straight up is NOT moderate. We watched Marines panting and taking breaks in the shade. On the other hand, the views are spectacular, so the exertion was worth it. Take more water than you could possibly drink. You'll use it. The "chip" is a bit over-hyped. 2 hour wait for a cell phone photo? Really?? Anyway, I'm glad we did it once.

The whole trail up is paved... take plenty of water also the whole way up it's super inclined Make sure to take comfortable shoes ... once you're up you will see the Power towers and then greeted by the potato chip rock...

Careful parking on the 67! Seems safer to park directly on the trail side. Journey is on a fire road all of the way. Pass the radio towers to come upon the chip from the back. Go on a weekday! No lines, or crowds and you get a beautiful sunset! ~4 miles RT and took 1.5 hours. Incline is steep yea, but if you're in some type of physical condition it won't even really be that hard.

This trail wasn't so bad. It's the shorter version to the potato chip rock. We went on a Wednesday morning so the line at the potato rock wasn't that long. The only thing is that it's a bithard to get on the potato chip rock. You actually have to jump from one rock to another to get on it. It could be dangerous. I still did it though and I have short legs