Woodson Mountain via Fry-Koegel Trail

Woodson Mountain via Fry-Koegel Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Poway, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

complete 7/3/18

we did this trail 7/3/18 w a group of 20 people this is a very easy horse trail up to Woodson trailhead
this is the best route
took a bit longer
we took the paved asphalt the whole down & it hurt our knees & toes
parking early on the road

This is the way to go up Mt Woodson from the Ramona side. I don't think I can take the asphalt road again unless I'm going with someone who has never been up Mt Woodson before. If you hate passing people walking 5 wide every few hundred feet you'll prefer this trail. There is a really cool little surprise along the way by the Mt Woodson Estates portion. I'm assuming it's maintained by the residents there. There is shade and ferns for a good section of the trail at the bottom and middle of the mountain. You miss out on the constant views of Mt Laguna and the Mussey Grade area on this side but it's much more peaceful and you can get the views when you get to the top anyways. On this side you can see Ramona lake.
The trail splits and you can take either the old trail or the new trail. I took the old one and liked it just fine as far as maintenance goes. Either meet up with the Poway trail which after a mile or so depending on which you choose, takes you to the top.
The only person I saw on the trail all day was a mountain biker coming down. The top was of course very crowded. About 50 people or so gathered around the potato chip.It took me about 3.5 hours but I ran a good portion towards the bottom.
I went on a Thursday Spring break morning starting at 10am.

recorded Mt Woodson