Wood Chuck Lake Trail

Wood Chuck Lake Trail is a 18.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mono Hot Springs, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I agree with the two previous comments from several years ago! This trail felt longer than stated...it is definitely all uphill with lots of switchbacks. We didn't make it to the lake and complete the whole loop. About 6 miles in there are several rivers and waterfalls...according to the map the split to start the loop should be right around there and we couldn't find it. We kept going up the trail, past where the split should have been and still nothing! This was a beautiful place to stop and set up camp...but we're bummed we didn't make it to the lakes.
Lots and lots of water, fallen trees to climb across, river fishing etc... I have never seen so many waterfalls in one place! I'm wondering if this trail would be more passable later in the year when there is less flowing water.

We'll definitely be back to try it again! But prepared for a longer, more challenging hike.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

I agree with the previous reviewer that the distances are longer than stated.
I have included a link to my review.

Monday, August 01, 2011

I blelieve the trail is longer than 18mi, according to our GPS is was 12.5mi in making it 25mi round trip. There are A LOT of switchbacks. Pretty much the whole way there is up hill, climbing about 3,500ft.

Saturday, May 05, 2012