Wolverton to Panther Gap to Mehrten Meadow

Wolverton to Panther Gap to Mehrten Meadow is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,932 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Gorgeous views. Mehrten meadow is so peaceful and secluded after hiking in during peak tourist season. The hike was a bit of a challenge with all the smoke from the prescribed burns, but you get away from the worst of it once you reach Panther Gap.

Crossed a number of lovely meadows on the way up. Perfect gradual grade. Wildflowers. Splendid view at Panther gap - definitely lingered there. Continued on a lovely path to the meadows, with glimpses of Alta on the way. They were smaller than I was expected, but still vibrantly green. A lovely place to camp, though I imagine the mosquitos might get quite bad there.

One of the most beautiful hike I have been on. The weather was perfect at this elevation. 95 degrees in downtown Three Rivers and 62 degrees at the beginning of the hike. Plenty of places to stop and chill. The hike had a decent amount of people on it until the trail splits. Most people went to the lake (left) but we went to the right and it had minimal people. Also, at the very beginning of the hike we saw a bear and her cub! We kept our distance but did snap a photo that we added to the hike.

Thu Jun 07 2018

It's a nice and easy segment. You have some nice views. Saw a bear near panther gap, that was exciting!

Tue Apr 03 2018

With the snow and being short of time, only walked the first two miles and then turned around. Other trail users were skiers (7), snowshoes (6), hikers (5). Totally coming back1

Wed Aug 16 2017

This was a nice hike - did it in early June and was subdued by clouds/fog towards the end of the climb. No views at the summit, consequently, but bounding down the still-deep snow on the way down was good fun.

Wed Jul 05 2017

One of the best views of my life! I'm 49 now, and I was there at age 15

Mon May 29 2017

Great hike even during the winter! Highly recommend crampons

Sun Apr 23 2017

I've done this one in the spring, summer, fall, and snowshoed it in the winter. gorgeous view!

Thu Jul 07 2016

Great Hike

Sat Feb 27 2016

It was a breathtaking and majestic stop on our way towards Alta meadow. My boyfriend and I had a brief picnics there as well. Well worth it!

Tue Jul 05 2011

Started at Wolverton on this out and back adventure. I hiked to Panther Gap where the view was great. First half of the trail had no snow however, the conditions changed the second half. The snow was covering the trail so you had to rely on the markers which slowed me down.

Fri Mar 18 2011

Nice trail run. Came in from Wolverton and out via High Sierra trail from the Mehrten creek bivouac site.