Wolf Ridge Trail to Maricello Trail Loop

Wolf Ridge Trail to Maricello Trail Loop is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tamalpais-Homestead Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Connect Miwok trail to the Wolf Ridge Trail to the Coastal Trail for this gorgeous loop. Stop by Rodeo Beach when your done!

Great hike and beautiful views! Beware of rattlesnakes though, there was one on the trail that wasn’t happy about us walking there.

Great hike. Rattlesnake crossed the path!

One of the better hikes in Marin. It's good hard work but well worth it as there are some great views and much of the hike has a great vibe. Lots of birds - i suppose that it's spring and the chicks have hatched. Definitely heard plenty of little chirp chirp sounds.

Good track, and incredible views, particularly on a sunny day. Some of the views are displayed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slkEDAQakE0

Trail is open (Jan15).
Good loop. Busy for first 1.2 miles and then very quiet. Steep climb. Beautiful views.

Gorgeous hike! Nice challenge but not prohibitively so. Great views of rodeo beach, sf and Marin.

Great hike, definitely not dog friendly though :(

The direction here will take you to a wrong address which is the other side of the mountain where DOG IS NOT ALLOWED. If you want to do the loop where dog is allowed you will have to go to Marine Headlands Visitor Center. The lady rangers here were nice enough to let us know and gave us the right direction but the guy ranger was rude even after we let him know the lady already let us know that dog is not allowed in our way out.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Get there early on a weekend for parking. Great 360 degree views.

Monday, June 26, 2017

Strenuous hike with some great views.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Ran up to Wolf Ridge from Rodeo Lagoon, the views were stunning. If you are head I g up from the beach be prepared for a tough climb.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

This trail was much more difficult than we were expecting; I would probably classify it as hard unless you're a hardcore hiker. We got as far as the Old Springs Trail intersection heading North before we had to cut down Old Springs because of thick mud. Even considering that, this was a challenging hike.

It was worth the challenge though, with some great views at the top of the hill out onto the ocean and the city below. The inclines were tough heading up but make sure you have decent hiking shoes on the way down; there's a few spots where if you slip you're gonna have a bad time. Crowds were moderate but not clustered together and most people had hiking or biking on the mind.

If you come for a hike through here make sure you stretch and aren't new to hiking; your legs and feet will hurt if you aren't.

Length: Moderate-Hard
Elevation: Moderate-Hard
Technical: Moderate
Crowd: Moderate

Monday, January 16, 2017

We did a variation of this trail. We took the Miwok trail to wolf ridge trail down to the coastal trail. It had enough of an elevation gain for us to consider it a hike.
There's lots of cool views and old buildings to check out. We took are time and enjoyed it all. We'd definitely do this hike again! Maybe even take it down to Muir beach.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Hiked the wolf ridge loop with my dog starting by Miwok. Beautiful views in the first half of the hike and treacherous downhills the second half. Overall it was a beautiful hike and I'd definitely do it again.

Monday, April 27, 2015

The area around is beautiful! If you're new to this park, I suggest going to the visitor center to get a free map. The guide at the desk showed me the endless options for loops in this park!

Heads up: some of this park is paved to accommodate cycling. This loop has paved roads. It was a little strange for me.

The loop listed is a good option for people looking for a steady, moderate hike. If you are looking to add difficulty, drop into Tennessee Valley and take the extend costal road back to your car! Adds a nice challenge to the hike.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

This trail was beautiful.
We took a trail down to the beach from here, then cut back up a couple miles later.
Absolutely beautiful.

Friday, February 15, 2013

I started this trail at the Miwok Stables at the end of Tennessee Valley Road. Up the Old Springs Trail to the Miwok Trail to Wolf Ridge Trail and returning on the Coastal Trail to Tennessee Valley Trail. Spectacular views of Tennessee Valley, Muir Beach, Mt. Tam, Rodeo Lagoon, Ocean Beach, and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I really enjoyed this trail. I hiked it by taking the Coastal Trail from the Lagoon up to it, across the ridge, then onto the Miwok Trail to head back down and complete the loop to the Lagoon.

I technically don't know where it starts, but I assume (going west to east) it is the part that is at the very top of the hill on the ridge that goes off the coastal trail and around the north side of the ridge to climb to the very, very top of the peaks where abandoned and dilapidated buildings can be found (as opposed to the wider part on the south side of the ridge?), then over the crest at Hill88 and down the North side of the hill towards the Miwok Trail. The views are really good and it was a clear day so I had an incredible vista including San Francisco, Stinson Beach, Mount Tam and Point Reyes.

The hike up to the ridge was more challenging than I expected, with some parts being really steep. However, once you're up there it's fairly easy.

There were less people on this trail, just a few trail runners and hikers. I saw maybe 5 other people along the trail from 11am to 1pm. I assume because it's less suited to sneakers and you can't ride bikes on it. Once I hit the Miwok Trail there were a lot more people.