Wisdom Tree, Cahuenga Peak and Mount Lee Summit Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(760)
Griffith Park

Wisdom Tree, Cahuenga Peak and Mount Lee Summit Loop [CLOSED] is a 6.3 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 km Elevation Gain: 429 m Route Type: Loop

closed

NOTE: Users have reported that this area is closed due to COVID-19. Please check with the park for updates. This is a loop trail that goes to Wisdom Tree and continues to Cahuenga Peak and Mount Lee. From there the trail will continue straight where it will end behind the Hollywood sign. You will backtrack to Cahuenga Peak were you will take a side trail (on your right) to loop back to where you have started.

Wisdom tree is closed!!!

closed

Trail is closed again due to Corona. Overcrowded with people walking up to the closure and back to their cars.

"closed" but you can just walk around the fence. I did see a rattle snake be safe & pick your trash

closed

Hike was closed on 5/23 and 5/24 due to overcrowded, people in groups and not wearing masks.

5.17.20 Sunday around 5pm Super crowded going up and at the wisdom tree. Some people wore mask, most didn’t so keep that in mind if you’re worried. Ppl were nice and kept their distance. Views were beautiful

As of Sunday 5/24, the trail is still closed.

We loved this hike! It’s busy up to the Wisdom Tree, but post Wisdom Tree much less trafficked. Keep your eyes peeled as the turnoff for the loop back is not obvious.

It was a great workout we got to the top in 30 min but it was an intense work out

This is a tough hike. My husband and I weren’t prepared— we didn’t realize it was in the “hard” category. We will do this hike again someday and when we do I will make sure to: 1. Wear a hat (there are no shady spots to rest) 2. Bring water 3.Wear long sleeves. Some parts of the trail are overgrown with brush and by the end of the hike my arms were itching like crazy. 4. Bring light snacks. I burned through my light breakfast pretty quickly and felt a little light-headed by the end of the hike 5. Take a Claritin or other allergy medicine beforehand. I was sneezing a lot and my nose was running like crazy. Lastly, Do not do this hike on “leg day”. Give your leg muscles a rest before doing this hike.

Short hike to wisdom tree but it’s strenuous pretty much all the way up. Great work out. Watch your step, it’s rocky. Stay safe!

If I could do this trail again, I’d go clockwise (make a left turn behind the fence instead of heading up the marked trailhead) because of how steep it was coming down going counterclockwise. Yes, you will be coming down the steep, rocky portion that more tourists are on, but most people I’ve found just go up the 0.6ish miles to wisdom tree and head back down the way they came. I didn’t pass anyone when I did the loop section, and it is a bit overgrown, but worth it! As I mentioned, I would start with the loop and head up to the summit that way because of how rocky the descent was coming down the loop (if you head up to wisdom tree first). If you take the loop up to the Tree, you won’t have to deal with as much of a rocky descent! I highly recommend taking the trail at the summit to the back of the Hollywood sign too. Not much more than a mile out of your way (if that) and totally worth it. **I hiked the whole loop weeks ago, but I’ve hiked up the main trail just to Wisdom tree many times since then, including earlier this week. ***Also note that if you do hike up the main route from the trailhead, the loop portion will be hard to find (entrance on your left hand side if you’re walking away from the Tree and in the direction of the Hollywood sign - I had to follow AllTrails App but had cell service almost the whole time). Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Lots os sunshine and rocky trails! Steep on the way up but good cardio! The back side was steep and rocky and the brush was slightly overgrown but do-able-didn’t pass many hikers so quite peaceful. beautiful scenery of LA after the rains and sunset at the top is a must!