Windy Point Trail

Windy Point Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 738 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

There is a $10 parking fee.

It was a nice hike ..beautiful view of the river ..the walk down was easy but the way up was a bit challenging ..although I would have preferred more miles lol will do it again

A fun 2.3 mile hike! The way down is much easier than the way up because it’s so steep! But you get to jump into the water once you reach the bottom. Bring lots of water because on the way up you get to a point where the is little to no shade. Definitely worth the hike. Bring some snacks and enjoy some time in the water. Also bring bug spray because there is mosquitos everywhere!

This is one hell of a hike! Only 2.3 miles but it will kick your butt. Narrow, steep, rock climbing, river crossing trail. It's more challenging than what a 2 mile hike would seem to be. Don't let the short distance fool you. Remember water and don't be afraid to to take breaks to drink some water and rest on your climb back up. We have done quite a few hard long distance hikes and this is more challenging than some of those have been. The reward is the river and it is definitely worth it. We finished the hike in about an hour we just forgot to pause our recording when we reached the river....we were busy soaking in how breathtaking the view was lol. It is absolutely beautiful. Good luck.

Great scenes! Me and my wife came across a huge brown bear on the way back up the hill. It was about 15ft from us, we didn’t have bear spray or anything! A bit terrifying, but overall, great hike!

Phone read 2m in 44:38 with 648ft of gain. Awesome trail straight down to the North Fork American River. Couple off camber sections and a few too many spider webs. Climb back to the top is a workout.

Narrow and steep. Two creek crossings. Took my 8 y.o. kid. We did 3 miles round trip to the river then back.

Does anyone know where to park a horse trailer for this trail? It says horses are allowed... Thanks

This is definitely a hard hike, and it's more 2.5 miles than 2. It was good, though, and I only encountered one other person on this beautiful spring Sunday afternoon. There is some shade, but plenty of sun, too. Later in the summer, I'm sure the river is a joy to swim or wade in.

Mon Oct 15 2018

Great hike. Steep, but shady too!

Mon May 21 2018

Great trail with somany other trail routes to take. Go early in summer, not much shade in parts. Bring dogs and snacks, picnic bench along the way. Dog friendly, horse friendly, run friendly, 79% bike friendly.

Sun May 06 2018

It was definitely not a moderate trail, but hard. Like other comments it’s a steep going down with having to cross, streams, boulders & logs. It was gorgeous though

Thu Mar 29 2018

This trail is one mile of extremely steep decent (almost 800 feet) and several creek crossings, one of which was precariously rigged with a rope to help navigate the boulders across the water, and no visible river access. If it was difficult going down, it was outright torture hiking up the 800 feet of elevation in one mile. My Pop and I are regular hikers of trails with various degrees of difficulty, and even though this is a short hike I would rate it as HARD, not moderate. It took us an hour to hike down with a couple of slips and slides on our butts and some short stops to take pictures, and then it took 90 minutes to hike the one mile back up. The one great thing about the hike was the grassy hillside covered with Golden Poppies about 6 tenths of a mile into the hike. Though you can get similar views on Codfish Falls Trail and Stevens Creek West, both of which are nearby and offer a more well rounded hike than this trail, with easier river access and much more to look at and experience. I checked Windy Point off my list of hikes to conquer, but I won’t likely be back. Bring extra water always. You will need it, even on a relatively cool day.

Wed Mar 21 2018

My father and I walked this trail over the weekend. We in others on the trail believe it could’ve been the best time be there. The valley is incredibly lush from all the rain fall and the American is gargling with water.

Fri Aug 04 2017

Short and sweet. Beautiful spring flowers during the season.

Mon Apr 03 2017

Frist week of April is the time to hike the trail. all the wild flowers make one of canyon turn to a spectacular view.

Sun Mar 26 2017

Amazing short hike with beautiful views... watch out for poison oak!

Sun Jan 15 2017

Short trail with a breath taking view. Kinda steep, wouldn't recommend for small children

Sat Jul 02 2016

In the summer it's terribly hot and brown. A couple good views but none of the wildflowers or grass to make it worth it

Sat Jun 18 2016

This trail is pretty steep going down. Trail head is clearly marked and trail is pretty narrow, definitely one were you have to watch your footing because it's a long drop down the hill. I lost the trail at the creek and rock climbed down to the river. Some left a rope tide to a couple trees which really helps with getting back up. When you get to the creek climb down into it and look the opposite way from the river and the trail continues on. I found it on my way back up the creek and was too worn out to even attempt the rest. Beautiful views and definitely worth the work.

Thu Mar 31 2016

The trail is absolutely beautiful this time of year with all of the wild flowers in bloom! Definitely not an easy trail though. Very very steep as you go towards the river. It's a really good workout though!

Sat Mar 05 2016

Very steep. There is a $10. Parking fee.

Sat May 02 2015

I rated this a five with hesitation because of the risk of making it more populated, which is one of its virtues. Beautiful trail with great views of the river. We took a turn off down to the river Which a previous hiker had marked with a wonderful sign and had wonderful opportunities for swimming and relaxing with our feet in the water. This is definitely a favorite.

Tue Apr 22 2014

The trail is beautiful this time of year. Blankets of wildflowers all over the hillside. I rate this trail at the harder side of moderate. It is VERY steep in some parts but its a good workout and I"ll likely be visiting it again sometime.

Sat Jul 27 2013

This trail is hard during the day in 90 degree heat. I recommend brining lots of water. Very nice in the cool morning or spring time. I always turn off to go down to the river but I'm curious how far the trail continues on.

Fri Apr 12 2013

This trail goes up hill to windy point and away from the river. I would rate this trail moderate, it does go uphill a lot, unless your wearing a pack it shouldn't be too exhausting to walk. I did make my way down to the river, I ended up cutting my own trail through the mountainside, the river was really refreshing and beautiful. Really fast moving, saw many kayakers flowing downstream. I camped out near one of the river bends and was visited by a mountain lion at night. I still felt safe in the mighty hands of God. Im giving this trail 3 stars because the river is far away from the trail and when the heat of the day is on a dip in the river is better than a breathe of fresh air.