Windy Point Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Colfax, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.0 miles Elevation Gain: 738 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

There is a $10 parking fee.

My 14 year old and I went on Sunday. No fees were collected. Gorgeous on a hot day. A number of wash outs that were repaired but very loose. Wildflowers were still in bloom. There are two creek crossings. Fun for most hikers. It is not at all suitable for young children. There are some rocky places to negotiate. We loved having our hiking poles for that. Poison oak is very heavy in the shady area where you descend to the river. It is very poor footing and we went down by rope. It was a fantastic day. Wear your good hiking shoes. Take lunch and plenty of water. Sunglasses and a hat were helpful.

Very narrow and rocky trail. The hike back up will leave you breathless, literally and metaphorically. There is a great swimming spot you will be reward with before you make your way back up. Wildflowers in the spring can be spotted here. Please leave wildflowers alone! Please don’t pick them, don’t sit in them. Thank you

This was a great trail. Much more challenging than I had thought due to obstacles. I would not recommend it for small children. Didn’t bring swimsuit but will next time. My recording is way off due to my errors, not the app

Absolutely gorgeous trial, a little rocky at times but totally manageable. Definitely a harder hike even though it’s rather short, 100% need good hiking shoes/boots.

Awesome hike, pretty flowers in the spring and river access at the bottom. Lots of poison oak and uneven trails however. Wouldn’t recommend you bring kids!

fee

Beautiful in spring. I wouldn't rate this as hard though cause it is only 2 miles. Yes it is steep and yes it is downhill in and uphill back out, but it wasnt hard. Watch out for poison oak, there is quite a bit of it towards the bottom. Go early because the trail is narrow, you'll be walking out as all groups of rude people, who don't know etiquette, are walking in.

fee

Gorgeous Social Distancing hike with poppies blooming. if you see millenials wandering off trail into the poppies for selfish selfies, please run them out!

This is one of those trails that seems like a nice meander down the canyon...and then whoops yo a$$ on the way out. The trail is much steeper than you think so bring plenty of water and pack a hat because there are some exposed areas. Trail condition was good.

scenic driving

I really enjoyed this quick trail down to the river, quite a workout to get back up. I went on a Friday and there was NO ONE the entire hour and a half that I was there. I didn’t get charged for parking or any other fees. A sign indicated a fee was to be collected by the bridge, but there was no one there. I’d bring cash just in case. Be aware of parking: easy to miss if you aren’t paying attention. Small area to park. Be prepared for some insects. Mosquitos I believe. Not a huge deal, but they’re around from time to time. The scenery is beautiful. Now, it is pretty steep. I went with trail running shoes and I’m SO glad I did. I fell twice, not a biggie, but there are areas where the trail is narrow and you do not want to slip down. Also, be aware that the road to get to the trail is very narrow. I was scared at times, but kind of fun. Only saw one car passing by. Quick, fun, good workout, and beautiful scenery. I give it a 5!

Great for it’s shorter distance! If it was sustained longer I would rate it as hard, but because it’s so short it’s not so bad. But there is a strep decline and incline, so if you have weak joints this rocky trail may not be the best for you. Nice little hike to do for a half day trip and eat lunch by the river though!

It was a nice hike ..beautiful view of the river ..the walk down was easy but the way up was a bit challenging ..although I would have preferred more miles lol will do it again

A fun 2.3 mile hike! The way down is much easier than the way up because it’s so steep! But you get to jump into the water once you reach the bottom. Bring lots of water because on the way up you get to a point where the is little to no shade. Definitely worth the hike. Bring some snacks and enjoy some time in the water. Also bring bug spray because there is mosquitos everywhere!

This is one hell of a hike! Only 2.3 miles but it will kick your butt. Narrow, steep, rock climbing, river crossing trail. It's more challenging than what a 2 mile hike would seem to be. Don't let the short distance fool you. Remember water and don't be afraid to to take breaks to drink some water and rest on your climb back up. We have done quite a few hard long distance hikes and this is more challenging than some of those have been. The reward is the river and it is definitely worth it. We finished the hike in about an hour we just forgot to pause our recording when we reached the river....we were busy soaking in how breathtaking the view was lol. It is absolutely beautiful. Good luck.

Great scenes! Me and my wife came across a huge brown bear on the way back up the hill. It was about 15ft from us, we didn’t have bear spray or anything! A bit terrifying, but overall, great hike!

Phone read 2m in 44:38 with 648ft of gain. Awesome trail straight down to the North Fork American River. Couple off camber sections and a few too many spider webs. Climb back to the top is a workout.