Wind Wolves Preserve Trail

Wind Wolves Preserve Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bakersfield, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

great trail! I would rate it as heavily trafficked. Good for dogs. Be advised that shade is non existent for much of the trail, so bring plenty of water and sunscreen.

Love it!

So fun with our kiddos!

A must go with the family.

Love this place, been here a handful of times.

I think it is worth clarifying that hiking here is easy if you follow the mountain bike trail and head back on the San Emigdio Canyon trail. If you want something more challenging take the Tule Elk trail instead of the mountain bike trail. You will chew up elevation the first two miles. There is an amazing view from the lookout area. Nearly everyone turns around there so if you just keep going there will be nobody left but you and the wildlife. There are animals everywhere! I was even overrun on the trail by a herd of sheep. The irony is that I saw everything except Elk.

It was fun and easy. Loved it

Great trail! The views are great and the trail is very easy. I didn’t get to the reflective pond though, another hiker told me its empty right now.

Excellent trails

Beautiful hike, even with the fog!

We were very discouraged on way in seeing oil mining (?) and endless flat farmland but once in the park it’s apparent how well kept and loved this 93,000 acre park is. Fantastic for dogs (FYI there are mountain lions and coyotes, practice safety!), easy parking, easy camping, great views, very few people on a three day weekend... can’t go wrong here. Day 1 was heavy fog, gave it a romantic eery feeling. Day 2 was clear, revealing epic scenery! Can’t wait to come back. Rangers were great. Since it’s a non profit it’s completely free entry and camping. This place is an undiscovered gem and we are fortunate to have stumbled upon it.

Finally got a chance to head out there and check it out some and it’s definitely something I’d do again. While I didn’t hike the full trail, the part that I did get to see was great.

Great area small area to hiking with a lot of unused roads and paths to follow if daring

It's very easy, kids can enjoy it and have a great time

I've been up here a couple of times times now and I really enjoy it. There seems to be trails for every skill level and the scenery and views are absolutely beautiful.

Would be very nice in the spring. However, if you are planning to go during the summer prepare for being in direct sunlight for a few hours as there is not much shade through much of the trail. Has a few large rest areas with drinkable water and bathrooms but the gazebos are largely filled with either rats or wasp nests. Fairly clean although there is the occasional bit of litter and it seams people have been nocking over the few rock cairns that were set up. Over all it's an ok hike. Head up to the reflection pond at the far end if you want to make things a little more difficult, it's a gamble if there is even water in there during the summer.

I go here all the time since it's so close to my house. Obviously much greener in the spring but still a good workout even though it's yellow this time of year.

Nice day trip hike

I had alot of fun on this trail, till my tire decided to not hold air. The waterfall is still flowing, as of July 8 2017. The creek isnt flowing very well though.

I came here to mountian bike and the trailheads say no bikes, but theres a gravel road you can ride on. After a mile of that I said screw it and went on the trail. The trail is alot of fun amd good workout going in, coming back is all down hill and a good combo of technical and flow! The problem is that when you are coming back you can be coming around a bend and run into hikers, hence the no mountian biking signs. I went early morning so luckily there was no one there and that didn't happen to me.

Again awesome trail and I will definitely be back!

This is a Moderate/ easy trail it's up hill the first mile then it becomes flat. We only went about 2.5 miles up and had to turn around because the foxtails was bothering our dog

I love this place. We came in April and it was so green, definitely different now. It's a beautiful place to hike. We only have been on the Wildflower Trail and Tule Elk Trail. Just a heads up, for dog lovers- our dog had a little difficulty due to foxtails getting in her paws so we had to cut our hike short, still got in 4 miles. There were other dogs that didn't seem to have issues but this terrain is different for her so it may take getting used to. The views are spectacular and there were many people out today. A great place for families, couples, solo hikers and we even saw a wedding proposal today! Definitely recommend hiking here.

mice

Absolutely stunning in winter/early spring after the rains turn everything green. Trail congestion clears up a couple miles in. Have yet to see water in Reflection Pond, but the view is great!

The best time to visit is spring. Little to no shade trees on trail and gravel road so bring plenty of water in the hotter months. The views are great especially when the wild flowers are blooming. This is an out and back for gravel and mtn bikes the climb is worth the back!

I'm out of shape so we only hiked 2 miles this time. I want to come back soon to do the entire 7 miles. Easy enough for kids. Lots of foxtails this time of year if you leave the trail

great trail.

This trail was a lot of fun. I climbed the mountains first and enjoyed the rest of trail easily. Going the other way by finishing at the top of the mountain is a slow incline for an easier hike. The view is worth it!

Friday, April 14, 2017

Super easy hike along the bike trail up to the 4 mile marker. Its a steady uphill climb but not at all strenuous. There are restrooms at the trailhead and at the 2 mile marker too. This is definitely a family friendly trail along the bike trail. There are other trails that branch off which we may take the next time.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Great hike for a Sunday morning. Definitely will do it again and take a different trail.