Angel Falls via Willow Creek Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(469)
Sierra National Forest

Angel Falls via Willow Creek Trail [CLOSED] is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Bass Lake, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 606 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

Please note: this trail is closed. Please check with the park for updates: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sierra/recarea/?recid=45752 There are two trailheads, one on the west side of the creek and one on the east side of the creek. You must cross bridge to access east side trailhead which is the proper trail. If starting on west side of Willow Creek, there is potentially dangerous creek crossing to reach the upper portion of the trail head at Devil's Slide. The two main attractions to Willow Creek trail are Angel Falls and Devil's Slide. The rocks in this area are extremely slippery, so be careful.

Beautiful hike along the running stream. You can hike about .75 mi in and wade across shallow water and take the other side back along the creek. Or you can pass the giant granite rock and keep going for a bit. Came across a nudist, ha. And a bit of trash and empty water bottles which I filled my backpack with. Please pick up after yourself.

This hike is very easy to do and it's extremely beautiful, some nudists in the area. This area has ticks so be prepared ahead of time.

Steep but great hike! Kids loved it. Beautiful day on Memorial Weekend!

Poorly marked trail, almost got lost and had to turn around and back track when we got to the devils slide area. Other than that the falls are nice

It hards to find the way. But once u found it. Its beautiful

A must see!! B sure to go to the upper set of falls on trail! Bring water shoes for along stream.

On Sunday morning my boyfriend and I decided to venture out and go hiking. I consider myself an amateur hiker and had never been to Willow Creek before. When we arrived, we parked at the first entrance that looked like a dirt parking lot. We knew we were at the right place because of the sign stating how beautiful but dangerous the creek is. However, there was no sign stating were to find the actual trail. I approached several people as they got off their cars and asked if they knew where was the beginning of the trail but no one knew (it was their first time as well). Long story short a lot of us walked to the right and followed the water. It was a very short walk to Angel falls (which didn’t make sense as I had read that the hike was 3 miles long). Once we were infront of the fall, we noticed a wire with a basket which was chained and locked it appeared to be the only way to cross the water as the water was pretty high. We saw people on the other side so we knew there had to be another way to cross. We finally went back down and decided to walk towards the back of the initial sign and eventually found a trail that lead us to a large tree log with boards to help people cross. We attempted to cross but our dog was not going to be able to do it and we were not able to carry her across. My bf then decided to cross and figure out another way for us to get there. We ended up walking on the road which was not safe either because it entailed us walking on a curve with no side walk. The reason why I thought it important to share is because there has been a couple of incidents at willow creek in the last week. To avoid that I would like to share that if you drive past the curve there is a bridge. Right after the bridge there is a small one way road that leads you to a very small parking lot (about 6 cars can park there)...that’s were I found trail signs with actual arrows!! So if you are attempting to do this hike there you have it, if you park past the bridge you don’t have to cross the water nor walk near cars on the road with no sidewalk.

nice hike but extremely crowded and lots of poison oak around. be cautious exploring the rocks by the falls and river: they are worn down smooth and are very slippery. the water current is extremely strong in some areas too so don’t wing it crossing the falls as somebody slipped and died yesterday

Nice hike. But be careful on the slippery wet rocks! Two rescues this past weekend of people who fell off the slippery rocks into the swift current......33 year old man did not survive on Sunday.

Great hike! Not too exerting. You can get to water within about 20 min. If you want to have a less populated experience go earlyyyyy. It was packed with people swimming around 12:30 when I was heading back towards the parking area. But overall wonderful experience. Great for kids as well !

Beautiful views. Easy hike. We went off trail to get a better view of the waterfalls. Thanks for All Trails app we were able to get back to the trail. You are able to park inside the area entrance right next to the bridge so drive in there instead of parking on the street area. Definitely will bring my kids and hike again!

Loved this hike. The trail was difficult to find but everyone had fun the whole way anyways. The water wasn’t cold at all it felt great. Careful there is a lot of poison ivy the farther you tread on. Also, p.s if anyone finds a purple iPhone 11 that was mine ha. Fell in the river and it took another adventure without me.

Awesome day. Great for the kids!

can anyone tell me if the water was low enough to swim in? planning on going there tomorrow

like everyone else... the trail was hard to figure out at the beginning but once ur on track it was beautiful. def on my to go back list. beautiful sight to see and weather was great

We started on the west (left) side of the creek and it was a little hard to follow the trail at first, but it was fun and not that hard to find again. After some time of walking close to the creek, we found a fallen tree trunk that has a lot of holding branches, we we crossed over holding our dogs and it was super easy to do so. The east side of the creek had a more defined trail all the way up. We made it to the top and attempted to go further past the fenced area but found it too difficult for the dogs so we just hung out by the falls, had lunch and sun bathe. Attempted to fish but it was running too fast. I also forgot to pause my recording so it’s much longer than it actually took us. We had to walk on the main road for a little bit after finishing the trail to get back to our car parked on the other entrance.

I agree with everyone else as far as the trail not being easy to find. Definitely recommend using this app and track your route just in case. It’s very nice but the waterfront.

The trail ends before it shows on the map. The trail cliffed out while I was hiking with four kids. Wouldn’t recommend for children, we ended up needing to be rescued out because the cliff was too steep. The police ranger said that there are more deaths in this area than anywhere else combined in the Sierra National Forest. He said he honestly wishes he could blow up the river he has seen so many deaths here and will never bring his kids here. The river is strong and many people slip and fall in the river and there is no coming back. Glad we made it out!

Great hike! Hard to follow the trail and lots of rocks but if you follow the water around you will get to where it loops around

The waterfalls were beautiful to see and walk beside however the trail was a bit confusing to find and follow. Felt like a little off trail adventure. Also arrive early and park with ease of leaving in mind. It got quite congested as we were leaving.

A little hard to follow, not really a clear starting point. Still had lots of fun exploring!