William Heise Desert View and Canyon Oak Loop Trail

William Heise Desert View and Canyon Oak Loop Trail is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Julian, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not a bad trail, make sure you have some good hiking shoes because there a tons of rocks. At glens peak you can see as far as the salton sea. Nice views. Decent breeze. I’d do it again on a cooler (not hot summer) day.

Beautiful and no one but us.... So many trails to explore....path is well marked and manicured

Fun day last week hiking this trail. Cool weather made it great & the views of the desert are very nice.

Great hike—moderate is an accurate rating. Wonderful views at the top. We started on a Nature Trail by a group camp spot. I think it made for a longer hike. WH Park is awesome.

Good hike. Just the right amount of challenging. We took two kids with us 5. & 7, they did great. Highly recommend it!

Quiet and beautiful

Sunday, March 04, 2018

wonderful hike. the trail head has a water station and the trail has lots of educational signs that are great for hikers of all ages. the skies were clear so we could see the Salton Sea to the east and the ocean to the west. not a single person on the trail! wind chill was a definite factor, got pretty cold at the top but so worth it!

Friday, February 16, 2018

Definitely a good workout!! Hiked with dogs. Not one other person on trail!! Park is super clean Trails well maintained!!

Monday, January 29, 2018

The hike itself wasn’t too complicated. Views are awesome. Definitely worthwhile considering it’s a loop, that can cut into other trails. Hiked in the winter. Would love to see how pretty it is in the Spring with all the new growth.

Friday, October 14, 2016

My husband and I did this with our dog today and we did not feel it warranted the difficult rating. Great views at the top, but the climb itself was mediocre.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Good workout. Not a lot of shade. Nice scenery and some steep inclines but not all uphill which is nice. Hiked with 3 others and all thought it was very worthwhile. William Heise campground is really roomy unlike most where you're on top of each other!

Monday, September 26, 2016

I had a lot of fun hiking around William Heise County Park; make sure you go to Cedar Loop. Since Julian is only a short drive away, I go for a hike at William Heise and then drive into Julian for a piece of yummy pie from Julian Pie Co.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Not difficult. But a nice hike and a very nice park.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Fun

Friday, May 20, 2016

Loved it! Peaceful!

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Easy hike, well maintained trail.

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Beautiful easy hike, great for kids and beginners. Go into the town of Julian after for some famous apple pie and ice cream, makes it a great outing!

Saturday, September 05, 2015

Holy Cow, this trail is so dangerous. Very loose footing on the steep sections resulted in my wife slipping, falling,and getting a couple of bruises. I nearly fell. This thing needs to be closed and fixed before someone else gets hurt.

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Nice moderate trail. Remnants of Cedar Fire everywhere. Cool old growth forest near the end.

Monday, January 06, 2014

My wife and I hiked the Desert View Trail on a beautiful New Years Day. At 2.25 this is a very scenic loop. Good elevation gain to "Glen's View" for great views of surrounding peaks and the desert. Foliage has recovered in the years since the last fire, chaparral is about 2-3 feet tall.

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Not bad......basic, but scenic.