Inspiration Point Trail

Inspiration Point Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Inspiration Loop Trail provides a great opportunity to leave the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles and quickly escape into the Santa Monica Mountains. Experience multiple unique vistas of the Los Angeles basin and Santa Monica Bay with clear day views of Catalina, Saddleback Peak, and Chino Hills. Connect to the Backbone Trail in Topanga State Park and get still better views and more exercise. The route taken includes two side trips to Inspiration Point and a portion of the Backbone Trail as far as the Chicken Ridge Bridge. The loop was a favorite of Will Rogers and the visiting elite of early Hollywood. Will's Ranch became his refuge where he relaxed with family and friends while pursuing his favorite pastimes of riding and roping. When Will died in1935 in a tragic plane crash, the ranch consisted of a 31-room ranch house, stable, corrals, a riding ring, roping arena, a polo field, a small golf course, and several hiking/riding trails through the property. In 1944 Betty Rogers deeded the Ranch to California State Parks as a living memorial to Will and his tireless efforts in healing the hearts of a broken nation and eliminating suffering. Ranch House Tours: Tours of the Ranch House are offered Thursdays and Fridays, at 11 am, 1 pm, and 2 pm. Ranch House tours on Saturday and Sunday are given on the hour from 10 am to 4pm. You do not need a reservation to take a tour unless you have a group of 15 or more. School group and special group tours are available Thursdays and Fridays at 10 am. For more information contact the Park Interpretive Staff at (310) 454-8212, ext. 103. Picnic Area Located at the far end of the main parking lot, tables and BBQ grills are provided. Reservations are required when group size is 25 or more. Call (310) 454-8212 Ext.106 for reservation information. Wi-Fi Service: Will Rogers State Historic Park offers AT&T Wi-Fi Service. Access to the service is within a 250 foot range of the Ranger Station within in the Park.

Be inspired to take it higher.

I've been to Temescal, Los Liones, Murphy Ranch and others in the area. I never really knew how they all connected but I always appreciated that each trail offered its own difficulty, views, history and charm. On this occasion I was looking for Rustic Canyon Loop trail and once again I found myself everywhere but where I intended to be.

I arrived at the trail and found that the parking was $12 or a sign that I believe said $3 per hour. Either use exact cash or make sure you have your card with you. Before heading up the trail I knew to expect beautiful views because the skies were clear and I was already somewhat familiar with other trails in the area. I saw horses from the park as I was heading up.

There are certain parts of the trail that are dog friendly but beyond Inspiration Point there are signs posted that warn of Mountain Lions. There are lizards all over the place and I was told that there was a rattlesnake so I was definitely on alert. The grade is a gradual climb to Inspiration Point not too difficult but it checks the box for view. You will be inspired from that point because you'll see the panoramic beauty of downtown LA, Santa Monica, the Palisades, Malibu the ocean and the grounds that make up Will Rogers State Park. It's really beautiful out there.

After leaving Inspiration Point I was inspired to go higher so after speaking to another gentleman I finally found a sign that said Rustic Canyon. I've tried to get there on different occasions but I could never find it while using my GPS. Long review short I went up another 2 miles or so. The path is pretty easy to follow and they do a great job of marking the direction so you stay the course.

I will definitely return here and make sure I have a fully charged phone and downloaded map so that that I can go deeper into the trail and see things that I haven't from the other trails that are a part of this park. I suggest this to those that want to find themselves getting lost in the view, the history and the challenge of going to different paths. Let Inspiration Point and Will Rodgers (Rogers) land inspire you to continue dreaming and climbing to reach another level in life.

Great views over south bay and downtown

Great hike for views of the los angeles area. Perfect to take family and friends to see the stunning views.

Did this hike with my 4 & 6 year old. It was a great little starter for myself and even better that I could bring my kids along.

It was a fun and easy hike. I did it with family and friends who are much older. My family even had sandals and no water too lol.

Great quick hike for a nice view of Bay Area and City all in one.

Not dog friendly. No bikes. State park. So the area below (the field) can have dogs on leash. But no dogs allowed on the trail sadly :/

fun and pretty. very easy hike. good place for a picnic.

Not a sufficient work out

good, easy hike. walked by horses and enjoyed the loop. only complaint is $12 parking.

Started off at noon. Neat park that was gifted to the state of California by Betty, the wife of three great humorist and cowboy philosopher Will Rogers. If you don't know who Will Rogers is, he is worth looking up and learning about. The park cost $12, and has a small parking lot. Will Rogers house open for tours on the hour. Really though, the best feature of the park is the Inspiration Point Trail, a roughly 2.5 mile loop. The views are amazing. From Inspiration Point there are sweeping views of Los Angeles to Santa Monica, and the beach communities all the way down to Palos Verses. Trails are well maintained, and the park was moderately busy. Also, lots of equestrian activity including a polo field.

Dog friendly,but some other trails don’t allowed take dogs. Great view on the ocean!)

Nice trail for what it is. Very short, easy walking, wide trail with a nice view. Good for someone who doesn't want to walk too far or get too dirty.

Great view at Inspiration Point. A little hazy.

This is a easy hike for kids. We saw a rattlesnake (I reckon it was a southern pacific) on our hike today. We went up to the inspiration point and then instead of doubling back to go to the main road, followed a narrow trail that starts at the top and brings you to a T junction. Taking a left takes you to the south of the trail and taking a right takes you to the north end. The snake was just lying on the side of this narrow trail. We stood for a while and then gently walked around it. It was 9:30 am and the snake wasn't moving.

But otherwise a beautiful, easy hike.

Nice and easy trail with a great view at the top

when there early morning it was closed and there's no parking had to go home no bueno

I went there Tuesday morning around 9. There were very few people there so it's quiet and peaceful. It's very enjoyable but it's not much a workout. You can hear birds singing along the way and the view was beautiful. The parking was $6 for 2 hours. The restroom by the polo field was very clean.

Very easy. Beautiful views. Can't wait to try the horseback riding. Plenty of green space to picnic and tables.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Just to clarify, this is not the trail that leads up to the telescopes. That one is also called Inspiration Point but it's via the Sam Merrill trail located in Altadena. That hike is 9.1 - 12 miles depending where you start.

The pictures uploaded were a bit misleading, so just FYI...

Thursday, February 23, 2017

love it! Started at the bottom hit Echo mountain first which is on the way then inspiration what a awesome workout 11 miles total.

Monday, February 13, 2017

Great for new hikers or anyone who wants an easy path with a gorgeous view

Saturday, January 07, 2017

Great paths leading to amazing views of the coast and city. Parking varies, $12 flat fee on weekends and holidays, some street parking as well.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Easy, great views. Couldn't figure out how to do the loop and ended up coming down the same way I went up. Very nice day hiking.

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Great scenic trail. Easy to moderate with not much steep incline or decline on the route I took. Still enough to get a day's exercise in, especially if you run the trails. Seemed every corner turned is an epic view. From city skylines to coastline and everything in between. I'll definitely be back again soon.

Sunday, December 04, 2016

Beautiful views, pretty easy hike. Parking is $12 if you park in the lot.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Easy Family Hike. 35 minutes loop. Some beautiful views.

Tuesday, November 01, 2016