Wildrose Peak Trail

Wildrose Peak Trail is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Death Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 8.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,660 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Climb from the charcoal kilns along good trail to the top of Wildrose Peak. Trail follows an old road bed for a mile, then starts to climb to excellent views of Death Valley and Wildrose Valley before getting to the peak for 360 degree views.

Great hike. It has my perfect hike formula-great views, it makes you huff and puff and it doesn’t take all day. I hiked it on November 15th and thought I would need a bunch of layers but it was nice. The hike is pretty steep for the last mile or so but one foot in front of the other and you’ll get there.

recorded Wildrose Peak Trail

did this hike with my son in the winter. was a very enjoyable hike with great views of the salt flats. no body else on the trail as it was cold and fairly cold at the summit in the teens. beautiful views and snow was present on the mountain at the time.

Woof, they ain’t joking when they say it’s 4 miles uphill! It’s consistently uphill (and then downhill on the way back down) with a few breaks. The last big ascent might give Walter’s Wiggles a run for it’s money with the main difference being: no one else is huffing and puffing beside you and the scenery and view is second to none. It was like walking through a wildflower garden, which was such a delight! Great scenery, great workout, interesting trail, the 360° is awesome. There wasn’t another person on the trail, and I think we saw a total of 5 cars the entire drive (after getting off 190). Oh, watch out for all the invasive burro crap all over the road.

Great trail and fantastic views. Path is clear and very easy to follow. Not too steep, pretty good gradient throughout. 3 hours moving and 4 total, hard work and the peak seemed to keep jumping away! Trailhead easy to find at the Kilns, last couple of miles of road is unpaved but easy in 4x4 and cars seem to cope ok too. Recommend for awesome views of Death Valley and snow covered ranges in the distance both East and West. Photos amdon’t capture any of the scale sadly. Ps. (Love to TQ)

Solid hike. Did it June 3rd. Quite comfortable conditions. There’s a couple steep sections but not too strenuous. Pretty good views!

Nice trail for a workout and views. Very well maintained. The dirt road to get to the trailhead is very washed out and my sedan barely made it. Much worse going back than to the trail head. About 1 hour of driving because you have to go so slow. If the road gets even just a little more washed out it will only be accessible to high clearance vehicles. There’s a camp about 1 hour away from the trailhead that makes a good spot to rest if your coming from far away.

Cool kilns

Camped at Wildrose over Memorial Day Weekend, highly recommend but get there early to get a spot. Trail was in good shape and the views from the top were outstanding. I might rate this trail as "hard", it seemed to be mostly straight up except for a short section of level ground.

ok, getting up here requires 4 x 4 high clearance at this point...rains have really washed out and eroded the road. otherwise it's a great hike

Hiked this on Feb. 10, 2019 as an alternative to Telescope Peak, which was too cold, windy, and snowy. Some sections near the trailhead were icy due to the snow being packed down, but otherwise conditions were ok. Sections of deeper snow closer to the summit, but nothing necessitating snow shoes. After about a mile the trail comes around the eastern side of the ridge, opening up beautiful views of the valley below. That was probably the highlight for me. The summit was really windy and obscured by clouds, so I didn't have any views up there. Only problem I had was that my water and food froze solid during the hike, which as really more of an inconvenience due to it being a shorter trail.

Amazing views from the top. Good hiking boots needed for rocky portions. Steep inclines. Some patches of snow/ice (January) but no special gear needed. Took us 4.5 hours round trip with stops. Much of the hike was in the sun in midday, so layers were good. Great drive on the way in.

There were some icy sections but they are easily avoided without any special equipment. The vistas are really nice, though not as expansive as from the Telescope peak hike as you are at lower elevations and hiking through more forest. The last ridge before the summit is especially scenic. Very windy weather! Didn't get to spend too long on the summit due to the high winds.

Wed Nov 14 2018

took just under 4 hours to complete

Sat Nov 10 2018

Had a great hike and the view was beautiful. Looking forward to going back and doing it again.

Thu Jul 26 2018

The first thing that needs to be mentioned here is that this is definitely not a hard hike. It really doesn't take more than half a day, especially if you're camping in the Thorndike campground, so don't think that you'll spend the whole day on the trail. That said, it is an enjoyable hike with some pretty views, and the mountains provide a welcome relief from the scorching inferno that the valley floor is during summer. If you want to see a different part of Death Valley than just the desert, this and/or the Telescope Peak hikes are a must.

Fri May 25 2018

Loved this hike. Great views of the valley and surrounding area. We hiked up late afternoon and had the whole peak to ourselves, beautiful. Completed 05/18

Sat Apr 21 2018

We really enjoyed this hike! The views at the top made the inclines completely worth it! Round trip was around four and a half hours for us plus thirty minutes at the top for lunch and pictures.

Thu Mar 29 2018

Absolutely love this hike! Great views all the way. There is a downed tree when I went through but it is easy to get over.

Sat Mar 24 2018

The trail was in a good shape. We had great views over Death Valley. Definitively a must for each Death Valley visitor.

Tue Feb 27 2018

intense incline for most of the way up. definitely worth every moment, breathtaking and unbelievable views! the very top has a complete 360 degrees overlook that goes on for Miles and miles. unfortunately it was super cold with heavy wind at the top so we could only stay a few moments to write our name in the itinerary. best hike I've ever done. took us about 4 hours, with several stops.

Sun Feb 25 2018

Last 0.5 mile is quite winding, steep and hence could be physically challenging. I am an average guy with some muscles and some extra fats and took 2.5 hr to up and 1.2 hr to down in Feb. Lots of gravel and snow on the trails during winter (up to March or April). Thick-sole boots are must. Could get short breath due to elevation (9000 ft) if you are not trained for frequent hikes like me but can be done for sure if you are prepared and take enough time. Best to start early because it can get dark pretty quickly and cold. Temperature was under 25F when I was at the peak about at noon on a bright sunny day in Feb. You will need extra layers when you take rest because it gets pretty chilly with strong wind. As mentioned by others, views are just fantastic and probably any photo can’t do justice. Tough but very rewarding. By the way, the entrance road to the trail head (Charcoal Klins) is quite rough and it is strongly recommended to have high clearance vehicle. I drove with my sedan and almost gave up. It took 30 min for me to pass 2 miles of this unpaved road because I had to literally drive at 5 mph with first gear because there were so MANY ditches, holes, and large gravels. The handout from the park office could be misleading as it says “passable by most passenger vehicles” (or something like that). Yes, you could but you have to be aware that you will have good scratches under your car if you drive a typical sedan.

Wed Feb 21 2018

This is an awesome, but quite challenging hike. This was our first time in Death Valley, and it was a great way to get oriented with the general topography/geography of the area. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to the top with lots of stops - four hours round trip. The views were great most of the way. We hiked in T shirts on the way up, but needed our jackets at the top and on the way down. The trail was mostly clear - only a couple snowy patches. Also, per a sign at the trail head, dogs are definitely not allowed on this trail.

Tue Dec 12 2017

The whether was really amazing and the temperature wasn't bad.I started out at 8:45 and got back at 12:30 and that was with about 10 stops to just mediate and enjoy the peace. Packed a coat, cap, gloves for the top and glad I did because it was a bit nippie on top. Hope to do Telescope Peak on Friday if I can get someone to got with me.

Thu Nov 23 2017

This is a challenging hike but worth every minute for the average weekend day hiker. The climbs are steep at times but there are "recovery" sections along the way. The first mile is very easy. The second mile is fairly steep but has a flat section at the end. The third mile climbs more gradually. The last mile is steep with a lot of switchbacks. The views are amazing along the way after the first few miles. With frequent short breaks this is a very achievable hike for the weekend day hiker. The view at the top is epic and worth every calf-screaming, glute-aching step. Trekking poles are highly recommended to help with the climb and to save the knees on the way down. This hike is 4.2 miles up and the same back down.

Sun Jul 30 2017

Amazing view. Hard climb, but it's worth it.

Sun Jul 09 2017

It's hard at certain points but the pain is worth the view.

Wed May 31 2017

Super tough, but very rewarding! There's a log book you can put your time in at the top; most people seemed to be putting a time of around 2.5hrs, ours was about 3 (but we stopped to eat, take photos, rest, etc often!). We wore shorts and tshirts, and were very grateful we brought sweatshirts- the wind really rips across the peak at the top, and it gets chilly! Didn't pass too many other people, and this is the first trail I've ever been on where we didn't find ANY litter- yay!

Sat Jan 14 2017

Did this in early January and it snowed the whole time. Very windy at the top. Snow was dusting at the bottom and couple inches at the top. Unfortunately couldn't see the Valley floor when we got there. Total time took 4:03. Just check weather if you come in winter to make sure road is clear.

Tue Jan 10 2017

After being out for 5 months from hiking I decided to hike this hike. Let me tell you it was a workout. We hiked this the second week of January, it was cold and windy. Pretty easy the first 2.5 miles then all incline with lots of switchbacks. When we got to the peak it was too windy and cold. We had to turn around quick. Beautiful views of badwater and telescope peak. A must do but with better weather.