Wildrose Peak Trail

Wildrose Peak Trail is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Death Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

historic site

Climb from the charcoal kilns along good trail to the top of Wildrose Peak. Trail follows an old road bed for a mile, then starts to climb to excellent views of Death Valley and Wildrose Valley before getting to the peak for 360 degree views.

Loved this hike. Great views of the valley and surrounding area. We hiked up late afternoon and had the whole peak to ourselves, beautiful. Completed 05/18

We really enjoyed this hike! The views at the top made the inclines completely worth it! Round trip was around four and a half hours for us plus thirty minutes at the top for lunch and pictures.

Absolutely love this hike! Great views all the way. There is a downed tree when I went through but it is easy to get over.

The trail was in a good shape. We had great views over Death Valley. Definitively a must for each Death Valley visitor.

intense incline for most of the way up. definitely worth every moment, breathtaking and unbelievable views! the very top has a complete 360 degrees overlook that goes on for Miles and miles. unfortunately it was super cold with heavy wind at the top so we could only stay a few moments to write our name in the itinerary. best hike I've ever done. took us about 4 hours, with several stops.

This is an awesome, but quite challenging hike. This was our first time in Death Valley, and it was a great way to get oriented with the general topography/geography of the area. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to the top with lots of stops - four hours round trip. The views were great most of the way. We hiked in T shirts on the way up, but needed our jackets at the top and on the way down. The trail was mostly clear - only a couple snowy patches. Also, per a sign at the trail head, dogs are definitely not allowed on this trail.

The whether was really amazing and the temperature wasn't bad.I started out at 8:45 and got back at 12:30 and that was with about 10 stops to just mediate and enjoy the peace. Packed a coat, cap, gloves for the top and glad I did because it was a bit nippie on top. Hope to do Telescope Peak on Friday if I can get someone to got with me.

This is a challenging hike but worth every minute for the average weekend day hiker. The climbs are steep at times but there are "recovery" sections along the way. The first mile is very easy. The second mile is fairly steep but has a flat section at the end. The third mile climbs more gradually. The last mile is steep with a lot of switchbacks. The views are amazing along the way after the first few miles. With frequent short breaks this is a very achievable hike for the weekend day hiker. The view at the top is epic and worth every calf-screaming, glute-aching step. Trekking poles are highly recommended to help with the climb and to save the knees on the way down. This hike is 4.2 miles up and the same back down.

Amazing view. Hard climb, but it's worth it.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

It's hard at certain points but the pain is worth the view.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Super tough, but very rewarding! There's a log book you can put your time in at the top; most people seemed to be putting a time of around 2.5hrs, ours was about 3 (but we stopped to eat, take photos, rest, etc often!). We wore shorts and tshirts, and were very grateful we brought sweatshirts- the wind really rips across the peak at the top, and it gets chilly! Didn't pass too many other people, and this is the first trail I've ever been on where we didn't find ANY litter- yay!

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Did this in early January and it snowed the whole time. Very windy at the top. Snow was dusting at the bottom and couple inches at the top. Unfortunately couldn't see the Valley floor when we got there. Total time took 4:03.

Just check weather if you come in winter to make sure road is clear.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

After being out for 5 months from hiking I decided to hike this hike. Let me tell you it was a workout. We hiked this the second week of January, it was cold and windy. Pretty easy the first 2.5 miles then all incline with lots of switchbacks. When we got to the peak it was too windy and cold. We had to turn around quick. Beautiful views of badwater and telescope peak. A must do but with better weather.

Monday, January 04, 2016

I did this hike in November 2015. Park at the kilns and the trail head is to the left of them with a marked sign. This is a very easy hike for 90% of the trail, the last mile or so is pretty steep going but worth the view when you get to the top. There is a geo cache there so don't forget to fill it out. It snowed on me when I was there which made it all the more beautiful. I would recommend this hike if you to Death Valley.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

We decided to spend a 3 day weekend in Death Valley NP to hike Telescope peak primarily. We couldn't find a camp site in Mahogany flats this memorial day weekend. We ended up staying at Wildrose campground. There was some thunderstorms during the night and rain hitting our tent. Next morning was a little overcast and cool weather. We opted to hike to Wildrose peak on the 24th and Telescope peak on the 25th. So glad we did. The hike was beautiful with stunning views of the desert floor and mountain ranges. Due to the rain the previous night the views were clear.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Breathtaking views. Looking down into Badwater is amazing and its over 9000 feet below. Looking to the west you can make out the Sierra's and Mount Whitney . The previous day I spent my time looking up at Wildrose and Telescope Peaks from Badwater and Furnace Creek. The trail was easy to identify and follow near the end there are many switch backs. One of the easier 9000 plus peaks I've done.

Monday, April 08, 2013

2,200 ft ascent from trail head parking lot. Mixed terrain requires attention to footing. The term "switchbacks" on last 1,000 ft of trail laughable...if you can breathe due to high altitude and steepness of trail. Snow still visible on neighboring peaks. Cold and howling wind but gorgeous 360 views from summit.

Wednesday, May 03, 2017