Wildrose Peak Trail

Wildrose Peak Trail is a 8.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Death Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Climb from the charcoal kilns along good trail to the top of Wildrose Peak. Trail follows an old road bed for a mile, then starts to climb to excellent views of Death Valley and Wildrose Valley before getting to the peak for 360 degree views.

Amazing view. Hard climb, but it's worth it.

It's hard at certain points but the pain is worth the view.

Super tough, but very rewarding! There's a log book you can put your time in at the top; most people seemed to be putting a time of around 2.5hrs, ours was about 3 (but we stopped to eat, take photos, rest, etc often!). We wore shorts and tshirts, and were very grateful we brought sweatshirts- the wind really rips across the peak at the top, and it gets chilly! Didn't pass too many other people, and this is the first trail I've ever been on where we didn't find ANY litter- yay!

Did this in early January and it snowed the whole time. Very windy at the top. Snow was dusting at the bottom and couple inches at the top. Unfortunately couldn't see the Valley floor when we got there. Total time took 4:03.

Just check weather if you come in winter to make sure road is clear.

After being out for 5 months from hiking I decided to hike this hike. Let me tell you it was a workout. We hiked this the second week of January, it was cold and windy. Pretty easy the first 2.5 miles then all incline with lots of switchbacks. When we got to the peak it was too windy and cold. We had to turn around quick. Beautiful views of badwater and telescope peak. A must do but with better weather.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Monday, January 04, 2016

I did this hike in November 2015. Park at the kilns and the trail head is to the left of them with a marked sign. This is a very easy hike for 90% of the trail, the last mile or so is pretty steep going but worth the view when you get to the top. There is a geo cache there so don't forget to fill it out. It snowed on me when I was there which made it all the more beautiful. I would recommend this hike if you to Death Valley.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Thursday, May 28, 2015

We decided to spend a 3 day weekend in Death Valley NP to hike Telescope peak primarily. We couldn't find a camp site in Mahogany flats this memorial day weekend. We ended up staying at Wildrose campground. There was some thunderstorms during the night and rain hitting our tent. Next morning was a little overcast and cool weather. We opted to hike to Wildrose peak on the 24th and Telescope peak on the 25th. So glad we did. The hike was beautiful with stunning views of the desert floor and mountain ranges. Due to the rain the previous night the views were clear.

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Monday, April 22, 2013

Breathtaking views. Looking down into Badwater is amazing and its over 9000 feet below. Looking to the west you can make out the Sierra's and Mount Whitney . The previous day I spent my time looking up at Wildrose and Telescope Peaks from Badwater and Furnace Creek. The trail was easy to identify and follow near the end there are many switch backs. One of the easier 9000 plus peaks I've done.

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Monday, April 08, 2013

2,200 ft ascent from trail head parking lot. Mixed terrain requires attention to footing. The term "switchbacks" on last 1,000 ft of trail laughable...if you can breathe due to high altitude and steepness of trail. Snow still visible on neighboring peaks. Cold and howling wind but gorgeous 360 views from summit.