Wildcat Creek Loop Trail

Wildcat Creek Loop Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Oakland, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

It starts with a fairly brisk immediate hike through a eucalyptus forest that opens up onto the exposed ridge. I did it midday and there was a tiny amount of occasional cover - so take plenty of water - I took an intentional short cut ( I got lost) close to the top of the peak and ended up shaving half a mile off my hike. The views are pretty great when you hit the Cottontail segment and then it's a gradual run down through cow paddocks and all the way home. I did the Pack Rat trail for a little variation at the end to cool off -- although... it should be called the Gnat Pack trail as it feels like an X-File episode if you stop and let the gnats swarm you ;)

Instead going in a loop, I started at the Alvarado Staging Area, followed the Wildcat Creek Trail, walked all the way to the Jewel Lake in the Tilden Nature Area. I then followed the Lower Packrat trail and back to the Wildcat Creek Trail. It makes an excellent route for a hot summer afternoon walk.

Sunday, March 27, 2016