Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Wildcat Canyon Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(131)
Wildcat Canyon Regional Park

Wildcat Canyon Loop Trail is a 11 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Richmond, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,584 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Please see the dog section of the accessibility page for the reserve: https://www.ebparks.org/parks/tna/default.htm#access_info Take Wildcat Canyon Creek Trail to Laurel Canyon Road up to Nimitz Trail. This trail as defined is NOT in its totality 'dog friendly' the trail crosses 'Tilden Nature Area' where dogs are not allowed. A small modification and you skip that nature area and can bring your pup. Dogs are not allowed AT ALL, even on leash, in the Tilden Nature Reserve (the south part of the loop, a bit past the Conlon trail at either end.) If you have dogs with you, cut off the loop at Conlon and it will be a nine mile loop. Also be aware there is a new rule that dogs must be on leash when cattle or other grazing animals are present.

this place is incredible

Road this with a gravel bike which is doable if you go the right way round. I started at the Lake Anza area and went to wildcat creek road first then up San Pablo ridge. I would seriously not recommend that. Make sure you do Nimitz before San Pablo dam, there is some serious pitch on San Pablo dam I had to walk up. I’m on a 10-42 11 speed gravel bike.

I hike these trails all the time and love Wildcat; it is true that much is open (no shade) so a hat and water is a must in warmer months but the wind on the ridge can be brutal as well. NOTE: Dogs are not allowed AT ALL, even on leash, in the Tilden Nature Reserve (the south part of the loop, a bit past the Conlon trail at either end.) If you have dogs with you, cut off the loop at Conlon and it will be a nine mile loop. Also be aware there is a new rule that dogs must be on leash when cattle or other grazing animals are present.

An absolutely beautiful trail for cycling.

recorded Recording - May 18, 09:22 AM

Sat May 18 2019

nice trail for a moderate challenge. nice views. the wildcat Creek trail was closed after canlon, so I took canlon instead. I'll update/re-review if I do it once the trail is opened again.

Sun Apr 14 2019

closed
Sun Apr 14 2019

Did a revision on the loop because part of the wildcat creek trail was closed. Great trail run!

Sat Feb 23 2019

Nice! Not a super fan of the paved sections but some nice views and diverse landscapes.

Mon Dec 10 2018

This hike was fairly repetitive- it's a lot of rolling hillsides, with cows and wildlife along the way. I wouldn't do it on a hot day, on a foggy winter day it was perfect. There isn't a lot of shade. At the back end of the loop hike we encountered two coyotes on the trail. It was getting near sundown, and I was a little freaked out because I had a small terrier with me. One coyote was on the trail itself, and the other coyote I saw over a ridge playing with a baby calf. It was surreal. The trail itself was pretty flat and got more strenuous at the end with some elevation. Lots of cows, and moderate number of people. If you do the entire trail, it's roughly 3.5 hours of hiking, so start early.

Mon Jul 16 2018

One of my favorite hikes in the Bay. It has it all, climbs, scenery, two parks, views for days, turkeys, turtles, cows, hawks, a lake...you get it. Go early on a hot day, bring water, layer and be prepared to take lots of pictures.

Sat May 26 2018

I did not enjoy this trail at all. I love most EVERY Trail, but this one just not so much. So much of it is paved, on roads and I didn't get a sense of being in nature on it. I saw a lot of people and it feels like a lot of locals enjoy this trail. That's awesome, but for me, I'd much rather be on any other trail but this one.

Tue Apr 10 2018

Beautiful views

Thu Feb 22 2018

Can’t wait to hike this again. Dogs ok and most of trail is off leash.

Wed May 03 2017

Trail switches back and forth between paved fire road to dirt trails.

Mon Apr 24 2017

this trail as defined is NOT in its totality 'dog friendly' the trail crosses 'tilden nature area' where dogs are not allowed. A small modification and you skip that nature area which bring you in top of the hill with astonishing views. totally worthy!

Sat Apr 22 2017

great hiking. beautiful scenery. lots of options. one of my new favorites

Fri Mar 03 2017

I started at the Alvarado Park parking lot, hiked up to the Wildcat Creek Trail, turned left onto the Havey Canyon Trail, continued up to the San Pablo Ridge Trail, Bel Gum Trail and completed the loop at the Wildcat Creek Trail where I started. Total distance was 6.7 miles with elevation of 1,125 feet. There was quite muddy at the Havey Canyon Trail but I had a good workout.

Sun Feb 12 2017

Sat Jan 07 2017

Great trail but very challenging with the rain.

Mon Dec 05 2016

Wow, superseded my expectations! We missed the trail we had planned so took a longer one - Wildcat Canyon, Belgum, Nimitz, Curran, Wildcat George, Curran, slight deviation to Lake Anza, back to Wildcat George, and took Lone Oak back to Wildcat Canyon. It was a 15 mile loop with few hills and beautiful with creeks, reservoir, views of East Bay, cows, and wild turkeys. Best trails of them all were Curran and Wildcat George. Not crowded with many parking lots. Cell phone also works the entire time :). I would return and explore many other routes.

Fri Oct 14 2016

I started at the Alvarado Park and went for few miles strenuous uphill hike: First to the Bonitas Gate Trail, then the Monte Cresta Trail, I passed the Belgum Trail and reached the San Pablo Ridge Trail. Instead of hiking up to the ridge I went below it. Coming down the hill by the Mezue Trail and turned right onto the Wildcat Creek Trail and back to the parking lot. Total distance was 6.5 miles with 1,263 ft. elevation (see my recorded track). This track was rated moderate and I did it for little over 2 hours. This track has many great views for the hills, canyon and the bay (see photos). I highly recommended.

Fri Sep 16 2016

Wildcat is a great hike with some great views and if you're doing it in the heat along with the distance maybe it should have a little more than a moderate rating.

Mon Sep 12 2016

What a fabulous hike! Great views from the ridge line. A number of mountain bikers around. It was fairly vertical in parts especially to the summit but it's worth it! One of my favorite hikes!

Mon Aug 29 2016

It's my second time here. Choose the easy trail with my 2 kids who still need to be in the stroller. My 2 yrs old walked by himself for a bit. And it's safe and fun for him to go free like a maniac. Nice shady area on the trip. Pretty easy to walk and push stroller with. Great day to spend with friends and family for a healthy activity like this.

Fri Aug 26 2016

We went during the drought and there was no shade and it was pretty dry and hot. Ill need to come back in a different climate

Mon Jul 18 2016

Great trail with amazing views

Mon Apr 18 2016

Great views, shade for the most of the trail, long but very moderate. Perfect for a Sunday morning hike.

Tue Mar 01 2016

Much of the same

Mon Feb 29 2016

Great, but a few steep sections.

Mon Feb 22 2016

I had a great hike. The weather was perfect and the view was gorgeous.