Whitney Canyon Park Trail

Whitney Canyon Park Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newhall, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a wide track trail through a canyon that was known for oil drilling and ranching. It becomes a single track about 1.2 miles up that crosses a seasonal stream several times further up the canyon. This hike can be extended by simply going deeper up the trail. Proceed at your own risk once you leave the wide track.

Great experience!!!

Gabby didn’t make it all the way

Easy, gradual, mostly flat hike. Lots of shade. River/stream was bone dry. (August). Took my dog and could only make it up the first two dry waterfall areas near the end of the trail. Would have liked to have ventured further if I did not have my dog and a hiking companion. I concur on previous posts about insect repellent. This was a midweek hike so we only came across two other (couples) hikers on our way back. Saw a couple mule deer and lots of lizards that my dog loved chasing into the brush. Best as an early morning, early evening hike when temperatures are 80 and above. Bring plenty of water for your dog on this and every hike. I have a clip on mini, collapsible bowl he carries hooked to his harness. Remember if we are warm and heated...they are wearing a fur coat. Lots of shade here to cool them down.

I went hiking alone on this trail yesterday evening for my first time. It was not challenging in incline, but in awareness of surroundings. There is something very inexplicably ominous about this trail to me. I would definitely go again, but not alone during dusk and without insect repellant.

I love this trail, especially after a wet winter when the creek and waterfall are really flowing. I've also seen quite a bit of deer on this trail.

Fair with nice shade.

Loved all the trees. The kids loved all the tall grass.

Easy hike to a small seasonal waterfall. You can make it somewhat harder with some easy scrambles up rocks to go further up the canyon, but if you have small kids or a dog, the first waterfall is a good place to stop and splash around.

Been hiking this beautiful trail for at least two years now, after heavy rains the waterfalls and streams are amazing .. A few weeks back I saw a mountain lion about 50 feet in front of me .. Seen plenty of deer and signs of cougars but this was my very first encounter.. so be Careful , keep dogs on leash and kids very close ...

This is a nice and easy hike.. easy enough to carry my toddler most of the way! If you go past the wide path it does get a little rockier, it is mostly nicely shaded, there are nice areas to picnic. Also, a little bug repellant wouldn't hurt ;)

Good hike. Be sure to wear a hat or sunglasses.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

loved this trail. tons of shade from all the trees. very quiet and peaceful.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Lots of climbing if you have the legs you do find

Sunday, May 21, 2017

This has been my favorite trail so far. Although it is not mentioned here there have been sightings of big prey. I myself heard growling when walking this trail, when my husband and dog walked ahead of me and I was by myself.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

nice

Saturday, April 22, 2017

absolutely beautiful trail. recommend for easy hiking. really good for trail running.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Awesome hike about 40min. in to a waterfall. Beautiful!

Monday, April 03, 2017

Amazing views , great scenery and if you go early you will see deer.. The waterfalls are beautiful and there is plenty of shade..

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Lots of green since we had all the rain. The water was flowing down the river and was nicely shaded from the sun. Def will do it again

Sunday, March 05, 2017

It was a beautiful hike. My children had a great time playing in the stream. Our favorite hike around Santa Clarita.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

My favorite hike so far! Love how shady and green it is and love the stream and waterfalls!!!! Perfect hike!

Thursday, February 02, 2017

I really enjoyed this hike. It's pretty easy. Make sure you go to the very south part of the canyon parking lot (near the rangers station) to see the waterfalls. If you go south all the way and KEEP LEFT you will start to hear a stream on your lefthand side and come to a cool, inviting forest surrounded by big oak trees and green grass. Keep following the stream and you will cross over it several times. The trail will become more narrow and a little more windy but if you keep following it you will come to the waterfalls. There are three of them and they keep getting bigger as you follow them. You can climb up the waterfalls, as I did with my chihuahua, and it's worth it. Enjoy.

Monday, January 30, 2017

we were there on Sat Jan 28th..this is an easy trail..few small water crossings..not very crowded..a lot of shade. .would definitely go again

Thursday, December 01, 2016

if you want a nice walk that has a good easy trail with lots of tree cover this is perfect. short and sweet. my new favorite after work trail.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

It was a nice simple hike. There were lots of signs of animal life present. It was not crowded with people.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

A very short, enjoyable hike. Stay left at the fork to avoid a dead end at an Edison tower.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Winter trail luscious when its rained easy...

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

This was my first trail since arriving in California three days ago. It had rained the past two days and the vegetation was lush and green. The creek had a nice flow. It was a nice introduction to California hiking!

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Creek trail path review: Great easy hike if you choose the right path. There are several paths that lead to different hikes for the easy creek path, park in the dirt lot on the right side of the road before the parking lot, which is on the left. Walk up a little bit of a hill past the brown fence and you will see a down hill trail. Once you walk down that path there will be a trail sign that says to the left is the creek trail and to the right is elsmere canyon loop. The creek trail at the very beginning looks like a dry river bed, but then becomes a somewhat tree covered path and even further it becomes a single track. It is a very easy walk.