Whitney Canyon Park Trail

Whitney Canyon Park Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newhall, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a wide track trail through a canyon that was known for oil drilling and ranching. It becomes a single track about 1.2 miles up that crosses a seasonal stream several times further up the canyon. This hike can be extended by simply going deeper up the trail. Proceed at your own risk once you leave the wide track.

loved this trail. tons of shade from all the trees. very quiet and peaceful.

Lots of climbing if you have the legs you do find

This has been my favorite trail so far. Although it is not mentioned here there have been sightings of big prey. I myself heard growling when walking this trail, when my husband and dog walked ahead of me and I was by myself.

nice

absolutely beautiful trail. recommend for easy hiking. really good for trail running.

Awesome hike about 40min. in to a waterfall. Beautiful!

Amazing views , great scenery and if you go early you will see deer.. The waterfalls are beautiful and there is plenty of shade..

Lots of green since we had all the rain. The water was flowing down the river and was nicely shaded from the sun. Def will do it again

It was a beautiful hike. My children had a great time playing in the stream. Our favorite hike around Santa Clarita.

My favorite hike so far! Love how shady and green it is and love the stream and waterfalls!!!! Perfect hike!

I really enjoyed this hike. It's pretty easy. Make sure you go to the very south part of the canyon parking lot (near the rangers station) to see the waterfalls. If you go south all the way and KEEP LEFT you will start to hear a stream on your lefthand side and come to a cool, inviting forest surrounded by big oak trees and green grass. Keep following the stream and you will cross over it several times. The trail will become more narrow and a little more windy but if you keep following it you will come to the waterfalls. There are three of them and they keep getting bigger as you follow them. You can climb up the waterfalls, as I did with my chihuahua, and it's worth it. Enjoy.

we were there on Sat Jan 28th..this is an easy trail..few small water crossings..not very crowded..a lot of shade. .would definitely go again

Thursday, December 01, 2016

if you want a nice walk that has a good easy trail with lots of tree cover this is perfect. short and sweet. my new favorite after work trail.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

It was a nice simple hike. There were lots of signs of animal life present. It was not crowded with people.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

A very short, enjoyable hike. Stay left at the fork to avoid a dead end at an Edison tower.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Winter trail luscious when its rained easy...

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

This was my first trail since arriving in California three days ago. It had rained the past two days and the vegetation was lush and green. The creek had a nice flow. It was a nice introduction to California hiking!

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Creek trail path review: Great easy hike if you choose the right path. There are several paths that lead to different hikes for the easy creek path, park in the dirt lot on the right side of the road before the parking lot, which is on the left. Walk up a little bit of a hill past the brown fence and you will see a down hill trail. Once you walk down that path there will be a trail sign that says to the left is the creek trail and to the right is elsmere canyon loop. The creek trail at the very beginning looks like a dry river bed, but then becomes a somewhat tree covered path and even further it becomes a single track. It is a very easy walk.

Monday, March 03, 2014

This is a beautiful trail albeit short. The wide track is a good turn around point and it is easy up till then, but once it hits single track it gets trickier.. still not too hard though. I have heard there are a few natural springs up this canyon but with as dry as this year has been I did not even bother to look. This trail actually does go further up the canyon, but I was pressed for time so I turned back early and only made it a 3 mile round trip. There are areas on the hillsides with oil seeps that have dried up over the years and there was a faint smell of sulfur too. I was tempted to give this trail 5-stars but the noise from planes and the freeway are hard to escape. Once you are in the woods and it quiets down though you can sit and just listen to the wildlife around you. Bring your camera because you cant take a bad picture here.