White Mountain Peak Trail

White Mountain Peak Trail is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bishop, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

From US Highway 395 in Big Pine, take Highway 168 north east. Drive approximately 15 miles and take a left on White Mountain Road. Drive north another 22 miles, passing the Ancient Brislecone Pine Forest until the road ends at a locked gate.

Nice hike, if your in decent shape you can do it under 8 hours. The road driving up was more difficult than the hike. It was 100 degrees in big pine, but up top it was probably in the high 40s to low 50s. I would recommend wearing a jacket and try to get off the peak before noon. On the way up no wind, on the way back strong wind gusts. I started at 5:50am finished at 1:20pm.

my first 14er, and damn it feels so good, we slept in trail head just before the gate too acclimatize in12er, started the hike at 6:30, got to the top around 11:30, we took our time and steady and low phase since you gotta catch your breath in that elevation, its not hard if you phase yourself , not technical. if you have good endurance maybe this should be your first 14er peak to test your body's elevation reaction. its dry and no place to take shelter away from sun, so have good sun protection even when its cold, when the sun is out its gonna burn. We head back at 12 and got to the car at 4:30.
im not a pro so this numbers should be accurate for anyone that can walk for 10hourse. the last 20miles drive to get to the trailhead is brutal, its not paved and so many sharp stones, bumpy dirt road, if you are not with a 4*4 all weather tires make sure you have spares . Good luck :)

There is no such thing as an "easy" 14er. They are all difficult and have their own charm. Is this the least technical? Yes. Is this the shortest distance hike? Yes (14 miles round trip). Is it easy? No. Unlike other 14ers that start you off at lower elevation and you hike upward, the White Mountain hike starts off at 12,000 and ends at 14,000, the ENTIRE hike is at alpine elevation. Also, unlike other 14er's, White Mountain is EastEast Sierra, you can see Nevada from the top, you get views of two states and ancient can see the full expanse of the Sierra line. Incredible hike on so many levels. Start early, prepare for windy conditions, wear sunscreen, and name as many Marmots as you can.

scenic driving

May 26. Was hoping to camp overnight at the trailhead and then attempt the climb. Drove the scenic dirt road for about 10 miles before turning around. Hikers we passed had gotten through on road in their vehicle but said the peak is completely covered in snow and couldn't get past 13,500. The scenic drive alone was worth it.

Did this hike years ago. It was great to bag another CA 14er, but not nearly as scenic as the others. Also, there was still a lot of snow on the upper mountain that had a thin top crust, making it to where every step punched through. Twice the effort with every step. Would have been a lot easier without the snow. But even then, I'd have to say this is my least favorite 14er. Great view from the top of course, but pretty barren all the way up. It was cool seeing the bristlecone pine trees as we drove there. Overall a decent outing, but not sure I'd do it again.

This was an amazing hike. The drive to get there is a 4x4 road that will rattle you for 16 miles. Once at the trailhead the hike itself is not very technical, but still very challenging. The altitude will sneak up on you, so be careful and hydrate up. Highly recommended to those who are looking to bag their first 14er.

The 11.3 mile route shown here starts from the UC Barcroft Station research center. You will need to park further down at the gate (1.85 miles from the station). Awesome views of the Eastern Sierra.

8/25/17. The trail from the gate is 14 miles round trip, with hiking above the treeline making for an exposed hike to the summit. Easy to follow, and great to summit a 14er. We came back down in the evening and saw a herd of about 30 big horned sheep. Took us about an hour to drive the 18 miles of dirt road each way, but wasn't too bad.

Generally considered the easiest California 14er to summit as it's pretty much a dirt/rock road to the top. Hiking in the open all above tree line and in a pretty dry mountain range so it's quite barren. Really nice views of the High Sierra from the trail and the summit. Lots of dirt road to get to the trailhead though.

Very quite trail. I didn't see anything but marmots on the trail. That 19 miles chunk of unmaintained road is horrible, take a high clearance vehicle. My little VW is going to rattle for life after that drive. Btw no cell service in that area. My stats, total distance from car parking lot and back, 24 km, 1000 m elevation gain, it took me five hour and 30 mins to complete.

This hike is closer to 15 miles, its about 7.5 miles to the summit. Awesome hike in preparation for Mount Whitney!

Friday, June 23, 2017

When is the best month to hike there when it's not too hot? I'm from NC

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Accurate reviews here. A note if you're not overnighting. The dirt road in is 16 miles. While well maintained, it is of the rough, sharp rock variety. I was in a Versa and it took me 1.5 hours @ 10 MPH. Larger trucks should fare better. punctured tires suck hard in the middle of nowhere!
The hike is calculated at 11.1, but I believe it's closer to 14. 8.5 hour hike for me...and I'm in decent shape. 5.5 up, .5 chill at summit, 2.5 down. Final ascent is a killer at such high altitude. But I will say it's wholly worth the effort. Spectacular 360 views! Bring LOTS of water. 6 lt per person recommended. And bring hiking poles for sure if you have 'em. Final ascent is all talus !

Lots of luck....and if you're well-supplied don't turn back unless altitude sickness sets in.

Friday, July 15, 2016

First fourteener!!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Great Hike, my first 14er!

Friday, June 24, 2016

Spectacular views and a great place to sign in at the top

Thursday, October 08, 2015

We camped overnight at the gate and pushed our bikes up the first two miles to the research station. Stronger riders could have ridden the whole way. From the research station we hiked to the peak. The land is barren but beautiful. The altitude makes the hike harder than it looks.

This is a good training hike for Mt. Whitney. It is also just a great hike period.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

A great hike.

Monday, March 31, 2014

This is definitely a great trek for acclimatizing for Whitney. Although the trailhead starts at 12,000 feet, and the trail is extremely well paved, the series of switchbacks is tough. There is a small stone structure at the summit of the third highest Fourteener (14, 246 ft) in California.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Wow...no reviews yet? This is the third highest peak in Continental U.S, and probably one of the easiest to summit. it is only about 250 feet lower than Mount Whitney, which is ranked #1. With Whitney so close...it is easy to understand how this place can be overlooked.

The drive up to the trail-head is somewhat unremarkable. It is a long, but well maintained dirt road, that should be passable by most vehicles. Trees along the trail are sparse, and don't seem that interesting, until you realize that these bristle cone pine trees are the oldest living single organisms, some of which are roughly 5000 years old! You will quickly abandon the trees, as you continue to ascend above the tree-line.

At the trail-head, there is parking, and a bathroom structure. NOTE: There is NO running water at the trail-head. There is also a couple of fire rings, and open camping is available. This is a good place to camp at 12,000 feet, especially if you are considering a trip to Whitney, or a higher mountain.

The trail itself is actually a Jeep trail. it is 7 miles to the peak. There is a high altitude research station at about 2.5 miles into the hike The people manning the station were very gracious with their time, and were happy to give us an introduction into the work they were doing. They even offered to top off our water, but I wouldn't count on that assistance always being available. The elevation gain is quite modest, and there are a couple of saddle areas that drop elevation a bit before continuing to climb. The trail has some incredible views, and has a unique...somewhat alien quality. Even above the treeline (and in mid-July), wild flowers abound...and hundreds of marmots could be seen playing in the fields and the piles of boulders that almost appeared to be ancient monuments of long forgotten cultures.

Although the trail is on the "dry side" of the mountain...be prepared for rain or snow. It rained on us overnight, and the rain barely cleared in time for us to hike.

At the time of my hike, the summit was veiled in clouds. The goal of my hike was to acclimate for my climb up Whitney the following day. My hiking partner was also starting to suffer from altitude sickness. As such, i did not attempt to summit the mountain, and turned around about 5 miles into the hike. On the way back, as i went down the saddle and started back to the research station, I started feeling the effects of altitude sickness. Interestingly enough...Neither my climbing partner or I experienced the symptoms when we submitted Whitney a few days later.

I would be interested in returning for another turn on this mountain, either in preparation for another high altitude adventure, or with the goal of summiting this mountain. It also seems to be open to mountain biking a couple of times a year, which might be a very different but interesting challenge.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Did this as the driving route to hike White Mountain. Interesting trip past the ancient Bristlecone Pines.

Thursday, July 06, 2017