White Mountain Peak Trail

White Mountain Peak Trail is a 11.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bishop, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

From US Highway 395 in Big Pine, take Highway 168 north east. Drive approximately 15 miles and take a left on White Mountain Road. Drive north another 22 miles, passing the Ancient Brislecone Pine Forest until the road ends at a locked gate.

Very quite trail. I didn't see anything but marmots on the trail. That 19 miles chunk of unmaintained road is horrible, take a high clearance vehicle. My little VW is going to rattle for life after that drive. Btw no cell service in that area. My stats, total distance from car parking lot and back, 24 km, 1000 m elevation gain, it took me five hour and 30 mins to complete.

This hike is closer to 15 miles, its about 7.5 miles to the summit. Awesome hike in preparation for Mount Whitney!

When is the best month to hike there when it's not too hot? I'm from NC

Accurate reviews here. A note if you're not overnighting. The dirt road in is 16 miles. While well maintained, it is of the rough, sharp rock variety. I was in a Versa and it took me 1.5 hours @ 10 MPH. Larger trucks should fare better. punctured tires suck hard in the middle of nowhere!
The hike is calculated at 11.1, but I believe it's closer to 14. 8.5 hour hike for me...and I'm in decent shape. 5.5 up, .5 chill at summit, 2.5 down. Final ascent is a killer at such high altitude. But I will say it's wholly worth the effort. Spectacular 360 views! Bring LOTS of water. 6 lt per person recommended. And bring hiking poles for sure if you have 'em. Final ascent is all talus !

Lots of luck....and if you're well-supplied don't turn back unless altitude sickness sets in.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Friday, July 15, 2016

First fourteener!!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Great Hike, my first 14er!

Friday, June 24, 2016

Spectacular views and a great place to sign in at the top

Thursday, October 08, 2015

We camped overnight at the gate and pushed our bikes up the first two miles to the research station. Stronger riders could have ridden the whole way. From the research station we hiked to the peak. The land is barren but beautiful. The altitude makes the hike harder than it looks.

This is a good training hike for Mt. Whitney. It is also just a great hike period.

Monday, September 21, 2015