White Mountain Peak Trail

White Mountain Peak Trail is a 11.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bishop, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

From US Highway 395 in Big Pine, take Highway 168 north east. Drive approximately 15 miles and take a left on White Mountain Road. Drive north another 22 miles, passing the Ancient Brislecone Pine Forest until the road ends at a locked gate.

The 11.3 mile route shown here starts from the UC Barcroft Station research center. You will need to park further down at the gate (1.85 miles from the station). Awesome views of the Eastern Sierra.

8/25/17. The trail from the gate is 14 miles round trip, with hiking above the treeline making for an exposed hike to the summit. Easy to follow, and great to summit a 14er. We came back down in the evening and saw a herd of about 30 big horned sheep. Took us about an hour to drive the 18 miles of dirt road each way, but wasn't too bad.

Generally considered the easiest California 14er to summit as it's pretty much a dirt/rock road to the top. Hiking in the open all above tree line and in a pretty dry mountain range so it's quite barren. Really nice views of the High Sierra from the trail and the summit. Lots of dirt road to get to the trailhead though.

Very quite trail. I didn't see anything but marmots on the trail. That 19 miles chunk of unmaintained road is horrible, take a high clearance vehicle. My little VW is going to rattle for life after that drive. Btw no cell service in that area. My stats, total distance from car parking lot and back, 24 km, 1000 m elevation gain, it took me five hour and 30 mins to complete.

This hike is closer to 15 miles, its about 7.5 miles to the summit. Awesome hike in preparation for Mount Whitney!

When is the best month to hike there when it's not too hot? I'm from NC

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Accurate reviews here. A note if you're not overnighting. The dirt road in is 16 miles. While well maintained, it is of the rough, sharp rock variety. I was in a Versa and it took me 1.5 hours @ 10 MPH. Larger trucks should fare better. punctured tires suck hard in the middle of nowhere!
The hike is calculated at 11.1, but I believe it's closer to 14. 8.5 hour hike for me...and I'm in decent shape. 5.5 up, .5 chill at summit, 2.5 down. Final ascent is a killer at such high altitude. But I will say it's wholly worth the effort. Spectacular 360 views! Bring LOTS of water. 6 lt per person recommended. And bring hiking poles for sure if you have 'em. Final ascent is all talus !

Lots of luck....and if you're well-supplied don't turn back unless altitude sickness sets in.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Friday, July 15, 2016

First fourteener!!

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Great Hike, my first 14er!