Whale Rock Reservoir

Whale Rock Reservoir is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cayucos, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Hiked on 7Nov2019. A nice walk around a portion of a large water reservoir. Reports of tics on the trail are obsolete since they bulldozed the entire length of the trail at least 10 feet wide. Saw one tarantula and numerous birds, but not much else. Quiet and empty, with 10 plywood port-a-potty’s along the way to give us something to joke about. Overall, meh. Once is enough.

Our dogs got a lot of ticks other than that nice trail

TICKS!! I pulled off at minimum 20 ticks off my dog and 5 off myself. And I only did half the hike. Other than the ticks it would be a cool mellow hike/walk. Not worth it for me though. This was in early May 2019 btw

More like a stroll with short, steep spots. On a Monday at 11am we had the place to ourselves. Stayed on wide trail/road and no problem with ticks in April. Cool with a breeze and warm sun.

The trail is really wide and easy to travel. It o lay is steep for a very short distance and it ends at the top where you get an AMAZING 360 view of the entire reservoir and then the ocean. You can even see morro rock and cayucos.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Ticks! I was on the trail for 10 min and I pass a fisherman who was carrying his dog back to his car, he said he just pulled 20 ticks off his dog. I looked down at my legs and I had about 10 on me and 20+ on my dog!

Sun Jun 03 2018

DO NOT BRING YOUR DOGS. We went on the trail and stayed on the trail in early June, and we've picked 60+ ticks off our dogs and a few off of us! We were o ly about 10 minutes in. Dressed in pants, socks, shoes. They just hang in clusters on the short weeds on the trail.

Tue Apr 17 2018

The trail was fine and the reservoir is impressive, but the ticks are a real problem. We all had ticks attached to us by the time we got home. I’m sure the tall grasses and heavy winds were the issue. Just be warned and be prepared.

Sun Jan 14 2018

We walked in January- cool, breezy, quiet and beautiful! Dogs loved it! Too bad so many folks don’t pick up after their dogs!

Mon Jul 17 2017

This was an okay trail/walk. The only reason I'm giving it a 3 instead of a 4 is because I pulled 20 tics off my dog after this hike, but none on us humans. It was fairly easy with a few steep parts. No hiking poles needed in my opinion. My husband said it's a good fishing spot, so bring a pole if you like to do that. It cost $2 a person. There are benches and outhouses available. Oh and start by going right because if you go left it will dead end in a few hundred yards (secluded spot for fishing tho ;))

Sat Jun 10 2017

This was a very nice place to go for a stroll. I put walking as the activity instead of hiking because the path is pretty smooth and easy and well maintained. Outhouses, trash cans and benches here and there are convenient. Stay on path unless you want a lot of ticks on you. 2$ self pay with envelopes in the metal box at gate. I went in the gate to down path to the right. I went all the way to end then came back. Lots of birds and wildflowers still very abundant here in June.

Wed Nov 02 2016

We went to fish, but ended up hiking after no bites. Nice little family trail. We did encounter a small rattlesnake. The area is open from 6 AM till 5 PM Wed through Sun during fishing season for fishing and hiking. Fishing season is the last Saturday in April through Nov 15th. Daily access fee is $2 and goes to support the upkeep of the public access area.

Mon Sep 07 2015

It was a hot day but a nice hike around the reservoir. It's $2 a person and when you go in you fill out the form to hike around. Please note this is off of Old Creek Road, which is not where we were sent. And the entrance is down from the road so it's kind of hard to see. This is also 5 miles in total. We tracked it and if you go up to the right that is the longer trail to the left is like .2 miles or so. I definitely recommend wearing pants because my calves were scratched up from the plants on the trail, but not terribly bad.

Sat Jan 27 2018