Whale Rock Reservoir

Whale Rock Reservoir is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cayucos, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from April until November.

This was a very nice place to go for a stroll. I put walking as the activity instead of hiking because the path is pretty smooth and easy and well maintained. Outhouses, trash cans and benches here and there are convenient. Stay on path unless you want a lot of ticks on you. 2$ self pay with envelopes in the metal box at gate. I went in the gate to down path to the right. I went all the way to end then came back. Lots of birds and wildflowers still very abundant here in June.

We went to fish, but ended up hiking after no bites. Nice little family trail. We did encounter a small rattlesnake. The area is open from 6 AM till 5 PM Wed through Sun during fishing season for fishing and hiking. Fishing season is the last Saturday in April through Nov 15th. Daily access fee is $2 and goes to support the upkeep of the public access area.

Monday, September 07, 2015

It was a hot day but a nice hike around the reservoir. It's $2 a person and when you go in you fill out the form to hike around. Please note this is off of Old Creek Road, which is not where we were sent. And the entrance is down from the road so it's kind of hard to see. This is also 5 miles in total. We tracked it and if you go up to the right that is the longer trail to the left is like .2 miles or so. I definitely recommend wearing pants because my calves were scratched up from the plants on the trail, but not terribly bad.

Saturday, July 20, 2013