Learn more

Western States Trail to Manzanita Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(77)
Auburn State Recreation Area

Western States Trail to Manzanita Trail Loop is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Auburn, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.4 mi Elevation gain 666 ft Route type Loop

No shade

Historic site

Description
Waypoints (1)

Definitely a hot hike in the summer as most of the trail is in sun. On a hot summer day, the reflective heat from the canyon walls and the river can easily overheat your body. Make sure to bring lots of water.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (77)
Photos (611)
Recordings (68)
Completed (175)
Isabel G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 30 2020
HikingOver grown

Fun trail, did the route clockwise so the last quarter of the hike was all uphill in the heat. Loved to midway stop at the river! Tried my best to avoid poison oak but still got it. The foliage was picturesque—came across a Mediterranean section with grapevines, fig and olive trees.

Jack Estrada
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 20 2020
Hiking

The first 1-1.5 was fairly easy and well marked. I saw the Confluence trail when I came back up from the water at the bridge but I needed up crossing the bridge which lead me to the highway to straight up the side of the hill to the Stagecoach trail then to the Manzanita Trail which had me skip the whole top portion of the trail but it ended up being a hard short cut. It was a clear path and ended being pretty easy on the second half. It took me the same amount of time as shown definitely rate a 7/10 on difficulty since I cut though. Would do it again for sure!

Ruqayya Attiyeh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 25 2020

A fantastic little hike! Loved it the whole way! just make sure you wear proper hiking shoes instead of regular sneakers.

Autumn Nguyen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Mar 26 2020
Hiking

Good hike. Love all the tiny falls ain’t the way.

View Autumn's Recording
Jeanna Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Feb 16 2020
Hiking

Definitely recommend downloading and following the map, as it’s not particularly well marked. One bathroom stop at the parking fee station about halfway through. Parked at the Ranger Station for free.

Kelly Van Gaasbeck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Feb 15 2020
Hiking

lovely trail this time of the year. good hike with a good work out. got to see another angle of trails I've hiked but from another side.

View Kelly's Recording
Olga Otwo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Feb 10 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Trail starts at Rangers Station...easy at first..goes up and down, very enjoyable with shade. One bathroom on the path, then follow the road, then river and go into the woods, no shade, very hot and dry, after waterfall, all incline all the way up to the Rangers station. The incline is a little brutal. Must bring a snack and plenty of water.

View Olga's Recording
Bryan Ramsey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jan 06 2020
Hiking

A solid trail. We started at Robbie Point trail, then hike down towards this trail and did this loop. Ended up being about 7 miles but better than driving down to this trail only and having to pay $10 for parking. (Robbie Point was free). Lots to see though. Great views of the hills and the river down below. A waterfall and gorgeous views of some bridges are also there. We got off trail a few times as its not a very well labeled trail at some of the junctions. But it was all good fun. I'd recommend!

Alex Duran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jan 05 2020
HikingMuddy
View Alex's Recording
Enrique Salazar-Turner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Dec 28 2019
HikingBugs
View Enrique's Recording
Joanna Cuellar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 07 2019
Hiking

My husband and I loved this trail. It has areas of straight sun and shade. The last portion was mostly shade. Would definitely recommend.

View Joanna's Recording
Katie Freehling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 02 2019
Hiking

Nice hike in the FRA. Steep climb at the beginning but nice and moderate after that. Narrow trail, but beautiful manzanita views throughout. We saw a bear close to the FRA station. Nice hike.

Chandra T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Aug 21 2019
HikingNo shade

Giving this hike a 3 because of the confluence. I would give it a 1 if not for that. A 1 because it is poorly marked. We hiked this trail yesterday and parked at the Recreation Headquarters at Canyon Road. We were given directions by the lady in the office. She was more than willing to help us and that was great. We told her we wanted the route that had the least amount of climbing. So she advised us to go across the street take the route down to the confluence, cross over and continue on the Stagecoach Trail until we got the the Manzanita Trail and that would bring us to the back headquarters and to the end of the trail. All was well until we headed up the stagecoach trail headed for the Manzanita Trail. We hiked at least another mile or more straight up steep inclines in search of the Manzanita Trail the woman had told us about, and we even double checked with the ranger at the kiosk that we were to take that trail up. He said that was correct and then turn left on the Manzanita Trail. So we get to a trail sign and it does not mention Manzanita at all but we had been told twice to turn left and that would lead up back on our loop. Anyway, we plodded up, up, and away...in the blazing sun and never saw a trail with a sign saying Manzanita. As a matter of fact there were multiple paths that were not marked. By the time we got to the top of the trail we were on we had reached Foresthill Rd. We knew immediately we had hiked up that canyon and were without a doubt LOST. Fortunately for us there were two fire fighters there who tried to help us with directions, they were also confused about this mysterious Manzanita Trail. They gave us some water and we all agreed we could at least go back to the confluence and either go back up the steep decent we had taken, or get more directions, or maybe even get a ride back to our car at headquarters. On our way down we saw that sign again that never mentioned Manzanita and we looked behind us and saw a trail leading up. We decided to take it after we recounted the directions the woman at headquarters had given us. At no point in the next 40 minutes or so did we see a sign that said Manzanita. According to our GPS we knew we had at the very least hiked within 25 -30 minutes of where we should be stopping, excluding the additional mileage up and back from that route up to Foresthill Rd. Now we have reached yet another sign that said confluence and the arrow was literally pointed out to nowhere, not left or right or anything that made sense. I remembered taking a walk with a friend about a year ago on the trail we were currently on and I knew if we kept on that path we would end up in a small parking lot in a neighborhood...not headquarters. I then noticed a trail right next to the main trail and it was small, single tracked and I could at least tell that it felt like the direction we should be going, even though it still made no mention of Manzanita. We walked on extinct and hope. About 20-30 minutes more we started to feel this was the right way to go. We saw power lines, the water to our left down below, and the road. Finally I saw what appeared to be blacktop pavement up ahead through the trees. It became clear to us this was the end...it was at that point we saw a very small wooden sign that said Manzanita. My advice for stronger hikers is to park at headquarters and go clockwise, starting behind headquarters and go down to the confluence that way and then hike up the steep trail and cross the street and back to headquarters. If you are not a strong hiker start at headquarters cross the street and descend down to the confluence cross over to the kiosk and pick up the Stagecoach Trail. Once you see that first big brown sign (see my pictures) look directly behind and you’ll see a trail leading up...go up there. Hike roughly another mile and then you’ll see that trail sign post on the left that says confluence and basically points to nowhere. The wide trail you are on is NOT the way to keep hiking, look just to the left (towards the river/street) and you will see that tiny trail, take that. It will Loop you right back to headquarters. Take plenty of water. Shade is sparse. Get out early because the heat is a challenge, even if you take a swim in the confluence. I would recommend doing this hike in the fall to beat the heat. I think I will go and run it in the cooler temps now that I know how to navigate it.

Latisha Dickens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 04 2019
Hiking

I would recommend this trail. This was my first time hiking and I went by myself. I'm not in the best shape, so going back up was a lot harder than heading down. But it was definitely worth it to be able to sit and relax by the river. I'll definitely be doing this again.

View Latisha's Recording
Andrea Webb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Feb 12 2019

Great trail, especially the beginning part! Lost the trail at one point and went a slightly different way, but still good.

Adam Jiminez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jan 24 2019
HikingMuddy
View Adam's Recording
Carrie P.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jan 04 2019

This was a good hike. Lots of manzanita and one little fern grotto we passed through. Did the loop counter clockwise so walked down the steep incline others had talked about going up. I can see where it would be hot in the summer. Recommend for cooler weather.

KevDeezy FoSheezy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Dec 26 2018

One of the most beautiful hikes I've been on

Raymond Laux
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Dec 02 2018

No Road Bike Trail! Per the Ranger!

Debbi Hart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Oct 26 2018
Hiking

Great hike. Beautiful trail. Hated. Hated the very end with a switch back 1/2 mile uphill. I made it! And glad I hiked that trail

Sydney Schellinger
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 21 2018

Trail closed by cones before you get to it

Julie Vang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 28 2018
Hiking

Nice hike but there are lots of other trails it runs into so it can be confusing. Would definitely do this trail again!

Cezzy Mendoza
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Feb 19 2018
Hiking

Easy, not moderate Steep climb going back to the highway, but short so not so bad Secluded enough that it didn't feel crowded even with some folks on the trail Nice views from above, small creek crossings along the way, so so waterfall Decent hike so giving this 3⭐

Monica Rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jul 08 2020
View Monica's Recording
Jeffery Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 28 2020
View Jeffery's Recording
Megan Wolff
View Megan's Recording
Ryan Looby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 07 2020
View Ryan's Recording
Kayla Shope
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 07 2020
View Kayla's Recording
Alex Keenan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 06 2020
View Alex's Recording