Learn more

West Side Loop Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Yucca Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, bird watching, and horses and is best used from September until May. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 784 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a lovely trail in March, with few hikers, excellent views, and plenty of unusual plants to look at.

Good hike for spotting smaller wildlife — I went in late March and saw black tailed jackrabbits, quail, butterflies, squirrels, a kangaroo rat, and a lot of western fence lizards. The hike wasn’t as exciting as some with big rock formations, but there was a steeper section uphill (going clockwise) that led to some beautiful views of snow capped mountains. Lots of sandy sections so wear shoes with good ankle support!

We did it counter clockwise and it was a good decision. Steep climb towards the top and sandy descent. Great view of Mt San Jacinto and Mt Gorgonio. We crosses paths w hikers and horseback riders. Good hike

It was nice but boring :( half the way is through a sandy wash... not that strenuous but not really exciting!

Went for a walk at dusk and ended up doing a night hike.

Nice little walk!

Enjoyable hike with nice views of the San Gabriels on the bottom of the loop. Added the High View spur. App shut down recording part way through, unfortunately, but my Garmin clocked in at 5.9 with the spur added.

Well kept trail but in Nov there were no flowers or animals so it was pretty boring. Not much of a view and walking through sand most of the way was a slog. The south half of the trail was prettier.

This is a great trail, well marked and well maintained. There’s a mixture of sand and rocky portions of the trail. I went counterclockwise and up to the tippy top of the peak. While off the track, the view was fantastic. Ended up being a 6 mile hike at the end. I recommend doing it in the morning. There’s not a lot of shade.

Well marked a easy to follow. Find the trail head before parking.

Beautiful views of wildflowers and the Joshua Trees. I would say it was moderately difficult. Some parts of the trail were narrow. The trail was marked very well and is lightly trafficked since it’s not within the main roadways of JTNP.

Very beautiful hike! Visited at the end of May and it wasn't too hot. Moderate hike with uphill/downhill portions at the end if you go counterclockwise. Very cool mountain views, flowering plants, and animals.

Excellent trail! It is moderate, with many ups and downs and hill areas. I did it counter clock wise and had a great experience. I got to see a few rabbits and a small deer passing by. Beautiful wildflowers, blooming cactuses, and dry vegetation.

Excellent trail. I did it counter clock wise and has a great experience. I got to see rabbits and a baby dear pass by. Many beautiful wildflowers, blooming cactus and dry vegetation. Come early in the morning for a cool hiking experience!

Lots of variety of wildflowers in peak to late condition. Chaenactis, globe mallow, malacothrix.... nice for birds too. saw a Scott's Oriole. great views of nearby mountains, moderately challenging with ups and downs. pretty well marked.

Sat Mar 30 2019

This was a pretty trail to do and we had great weather. We started the trail at the trailhead bear camp #30 going clockwise, however if you want a more gradual incline for uphill we recommend going counter-clockwise. The wildflowers were blooming and the views of the mountains towards the back of the loop were spectacular. We set up chairs and relaxed for a while.

Sat Mar 02 2019

Not hard but moderate. Nice views. A bit challenging some places but doable.

Tue May 29 2018

Starts out nice and easy, then gets a little more technical with some loose rocks, the some steep large rocks. Better if your horse is in shape and has shoes. Felt like i needed a mountain goat at some points. Trails are marked and in places where it might be iffy they have dead joshua trees blocking the wrong way.

Sat Apr 07 2018

Sunsets!

Mon Jan 01 2018

We would not call this hard, moderate. Although is says best from March to Oct we went Jan 1 and it was great. It would be awesome during wild flower blooming time.

Mon May 08 2017

This is a great trail for running! Aim for fall or spring to really enjoy it without the heat. Start at the trailhead by the campgrounds for a full 5 mi!

Thu Apr 13 2017

Great ride on horseback!

Sat Mar 04 2017

This trail was a bit challenging for somebody who hasn't hiked in years, but very doable. The views we breathtaking. I loved standing high on the hills looking around at the mountains surrounding me near and far.

Wed Jan 11 2017

It was windy and cold, we could only saunter as far as we could, which was about a mile overall. I'd taken some friends on this little hike, they'd just flown in the night before from Florida. An amazing trail I'm going to return to.