West Ridge Trail to Satan's Cesspool

West Ridge Trail to Satan's Cesspool is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pilot Hill, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This was a cool hike. Was kinda hot on the way out (started at 10:15am on April 21st), maybe because I only brought 1 bottle of water. We missed the trail to the ridge at the very beginning and bushwacked our way up the hill about a mile in. The view from the ridge was awesome! Totally worth the extra effort but I would recommend looking IMMEDIATELY to your right at the trail head entrance to get to the ridge. Was about 4 hours of hiking, very up and then down then up again. At the end I was jealous of the people I could see tubing down the American River. Mostly came across Mountain Bikers on the trail, like a dozen.

beautiful scenery, lots of ups and downs, views of the river and meadows are gorgeous

Great hike, lots of up and down along the ridge part, though you can bypass a lot of it if you go down Cronan ranch road, like half our group did on the way out. There were a lot of trail runners and mountain bikers.

It was fun a really long hike. It is bound to be a all day trip I think this trail is better for mountain biking. I got to the river in about 2 hours. Best for summer

Monday, May 01, 2017

Really a great trail. Stay vigilant, we crossed four snakes, three of witch are confirmed rattle snakes.

Saturday, August 05, 2017