Learn more

West Fork to Bear Canyon Trail is a 10.2 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Azusa, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Length 10.2 mi Elevation gain 2,919 ft Route type Point to Point

Photos (269)
Recordings (39)
Completed (50)
Hector Dimas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 13 2020
HikingBlowdownOff trailOver grownRockyScrambleWashed out
View Hector's Recording
Minzhi Zhu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 24 2020
Hiking

10 hours 12 mile hike with Paul and Jianmin. Lots of water crossing. Shady. Hard but nice hike.

View Minzhi's Recording
Adela Armstrong-Spielberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat May 02 2020
HikingBlowdownBugsFloodedOff trailOver grownRockyWashed out

My roommate and I are fairly avid hikers, but this trial (“trail” really) is ridiculous. The trail is closer to 11.2 miles. We crossed a creek probably about 40 times, often up to our hips. Around mile 3 or 4 the trail is almost impossible to find, and we had to wade straight up the creek at many points. The creek seems to have changed course since this map was made, so the map is sometimes inaccurate and confusing. The last ~5 miles is away from the creek, which was a relief. It’s a really beautiful area but honestly I don’t think this particular hike is worth it. UPDATE: I am now also covered in poison ivy

View Adela's Recording
Tyler Fenton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jan 02 2020
HikingBlowdown

Always one of my favorite walks to make. However the trail is pretty blown out right now with down trees and the water crossings can be a nightmare. Only made it to the third camp before turning around due to eating it many times into the creek. Still fun.

Julie Jenkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 01 2019
BackpackingBlowdownBugsMuddyOff trailOver grownRockyScrambleWashed out

We packed in from Bear Canyon/Smith Mountain trail head up top and hiked downhill to West Fork .... it was a brutal trip but amazing and so glad we did it. It's easy 10+ Miles maybe a little more well trying to find the trail. It is marked rocks and ribbon, but it is still hard. We did half of it yesterday and finished today...the entire trail is through poison oak and ivy so be careful, FWI update (10/5/19) I am covered from head to toe in poison oak and I had on long pants and a long sleeve shirt ... tons of bear poop and they are fattening up for winter. Pretty sure one came through our camp spot overnight. Saw tracks and fresh scat but didn't bother us....we both had bear bells, bear spray etc.... used bear bags. It was amazing. Can't wait to do our next trail....Anyone looking to join a backpacking group....follow the link Check out Camping & Hyking Addict http://meetu.ps/c/4n2N4/KxFvT/d on Meetup

View Julie's Recording
DeAnne Cool
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 30 2019
HikingBugsOver grownRockyScramble

HARD hike due to not marked most of way lots of Rock scrabbles, but worth it!!!

View DeAnne's Recording
el linc
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 18 2019
HikingOver grown

To access - walk down the paved bike path, when you cross the bridge, there are some signs on the left side, go down and cross under the bridge, trail starts there. The trail is really pretty and the stream crossings are fun, but I only got about 2.5 miles in before I lost the trail. My GPS seemed to show it as being located in some thick bushes. So either it is extremely overgrown or the map was off. I tried up and down stream but didn't see a route to cut over, so gave up and went back. That said, I enjoyed the section I did. I would recommend a good map/GPS as it is easy to loose the trail at the stream crossings.

View el's Recording
Jasmin Espanola
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 28 2019
HikingBugsRocky