West Cucamonga Truck Trail is a 8.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Rancho Cucamonga, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,808 feet Route Type: Loop

Hiked this trail solo last weekend as a sort of Thanksgiving week bucket list item. Back in the 90's, my husband and I used to ride this trail on quads, when it was still open to vehicles, so this foray was sort of nostalgia-driven. I'll be honest. I didn't complete it as I got way too uneasy--no one else around at all, it was very silent, and the 10 foot high overgrowth along both sides of the low road made me nervous as hell. I started at Big Tree Road after getting the permit for parking at Almond, hiked in and got as far as the beginning of Barrett-Stoddard road past the first creek crossing before turning back. Found a fairly large and quite fresh mountain lion scat, and a whisper of a print, which increased my anxiety. It was pretty, and reliving the memories of all the good times there made it worth it, but I'll not be going back again. Once was enough, and there are better hikes elsewhere. If you want a good workout and not be bothered by a million other hikers like at Etiwanda Falls, then by all means, go to this one, but don't go alone like I did.

Great little hike. My stepdaughter and I did this with our dogs. We started at Barrett-Stoddard road and hiked out to Skyline where we picked up a ride from my wife. Easy to follow trail. I would call this a moderate hike if you take the path we did.

I didn’t see another soul my whole time out there. There are parts of this trail that are completely overgrown, be prepared to beat some brush. Very exposed hike, make sure to bring plenty of water! Wonderful views and very rewarding area to explore.

Mon Dec 31 2018

My 10 year old son wanted to start backpacking so I took him on an 8 mile hike from Barrett Stoddard road to West Fork. West Fork in good enough shape to be hiked was fun he liked it and was a really good workout with out packs on our backs.

Mon Dec 11 2017

Our hike started in the San Antonio Heights, on Mountain Ave, went up the southwest ridge of Frankish Peak, and then down the "fire road" on the northern slopes of Frankish to the West Fork Trail and out to Skyline Dr. in Rancho. Here's some info for anyone looking to poke around any of the areas we visited. The West Cucamonga Truck Trail is actually in pretty good shape. The section going through West Fork Cucamonga Creek is pretty precarious (if you don't like fairly narrow single track over 20+ foot drops, then give this trail a skip). The section between where Barrett Stoddard meets w/ the truck trail and Frankish Peak is completely overgrown. It's passable, but prepare for a thrashing and bring GPS because the brush is thick so it's hard to visually get your bearings. Overall, I'd strongly recommend shuttling from Barrett Stoddard road near Baldy to northern Rancho Cucamonga. Be careful where you park in Cucamonga, because they will ticket/tow! Good luck! Also I almost forgot to mention, mountain bikers use this trail, and they go through very fast. Be alert for them!

Sun Nov 26 2017

Beautiful area but trails are not maintained . Trail was not marked well but we used AllTrails to track and it was fine. Not a busy hike . We never saw another hiker the entire time.

Mon Jul 24 2017

I started with my Golden Retriever at Sapphire Road and hiked to Baldy Road and then headed back to Sapphire. Good long hike, but minimal shade and very hot. Bring lots of water. Started as a dirt road and the single track trail was flat dirt, no boulder hopping .However, there are some narrow spots. As you near Baldy Road the trails turns into a dirt road again. Hiking boots not necessary. I would call it a strenuous day hike because of the length, around 18 miles, and elevation climb. I only ran into one couple mountain biking the entire hike.

Fri Jan 20 2017

we parked the truck in mt baldy at Barret Stoddard trail head and it looks to the truck trail it started as one of the best mtb rides ever trail was smooth technical wavy and had a great view BUT as soon as it became Rancho truck trail it got really sketchy it was overgrown and wash out's with a ten foot drop and the trail was only three inches wide for about a mile I was terrified and I was walking the bike I wanted to go back but it was 6 miles uphill so all and all trail is decent but expect to be terrified when it brakes off to Rancho if anyone finds how to take that trail and avoid Rancho lemme know !!!

Mon Aug 22 2016

I'd really nice trail after you come out of the fire Road, a lot mosquitoes, where log pans,it's just the careful with the people on bike, because isn't really a small trail, and some areas is to small for the banking and the hikers.it's not that much people walking, but it's a nice experience to see a lot of wild berries.I did 18 miles in and out.

Sun Apr 24 2016

I have hiked this trail since 2001. After the fire in 2003, it has been unmaintained. It has become overgrown and has multiple washouts. I have not seen another person on the unmaintained section of the trail for many years. My route begins near Archibald & Wilson, over to Haven, up into Calamity Canyon (aptly named when you see the trail washouts), follow W Cucamonga Truck Trail west to Cucamonga Canyon, down to Sapphire, and back home. Its about 17 miles so it isn't an easy hike at all. It is, however, an adventurous hike with washouts, overgrown trail, and wildlife. I've observed bobcats, mountain lions, deer, rattle snakes, and even tarantulas. It is important to note that there is evidence of BEAR activity along much of the trail but I have never seen one. The views are nice but it needs to be very clear to see downtown LA well or the islands like Catalina. Overall, it's a great hike if you want to go on a long, unique hike that is isolated yet close to civilization. You should have cell service most of the time once you are out of Calamity Canyon. I plan to start some maintenance projects on the trail to cut back the plants and make the washouts safer.

recorded West Cucamonga Truck Trail